Volumetric estimation of iron(II)ions

• Thread starter josephcollins
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Estimation
In summary, dilute sulphuric acid is preferred over dilute hydrochloric acid in the volumetric estimation of iron (II) ions with potassium manganate (VII) due to the potential for positive errors and interference from Cl^- anions when using hydrochloric acid. Additionally, chemical calculators such as BATE are useful tools for labs and education.
josephcollins
Hi ppl, I have an electrochemisry question. Explain why dilute sulphuric acid, rather than dilute hydrochloric acid, is used as a source of hydrogen ions in the volumetric estimation of iron (II) ions with potassium manganate (VII).

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't think a difference would be present when you substitute sulfuric acid with hydrochloric acid. The redox reaction is as follows:

[tex]5 Fe^{2+} + MnO_4^- + 8 H^+ \rightarrow 5Fe^{3+} + Mn^{2+} + 4 H_2O[/tex]

Here, you can substitute any anion for sulfate, providing that the acid is strong enough to react with permanganate to form water.

josephcollins said:
Hi ppl, I have an electrochemisry question. Explain why dilute sulphuric acid, rather than dilute hydrochloric acid, is used as a source of hydrogen ions in the volumetric estimation of iron (II) ions with potassium manganate (VII).

Two things may happen in the presence od hydrochloric acid.

First, [tex]KMnO_4[/tex] is able to oxidize [tex]Cl^-[/tex] to [tex]Cl_2[/tex]. Thus you will get a positive error in your determination result.

Second, [tex]Cl^-[/tex] anions will react with [tex]Fe^{3+}[/tex] anions to produce yellowish complex. This will make determination of end point more difficult and it will change redox potential of [tex]Fe^{2+}/Fe^{3+}[/tex] system. The latter shouldn't be a problem.

Chemical calculators for labs and education
BATE - pH calculations, titration curves, hydrolisis

Last edited:
I totally agree with this one. I think I will give away my "guru" title this year to someone deserving it better than me. Great work, Borek! :approve:

Nah, keep it, you've contributed a fair amount to the forum; in addition, you're the only chemical researcher we have this forum. Share with us what you've learned so far, enlighten us guru;)

1. How is the concentration of iron(II) ions determined in volumetric estimation?

In volumetric estimation, the concentration of iron(II) ions is determined through a titration process. A known volume of a standard solution, typically potassium permanganate, is added to a solution containing the iron(II) ions until a color change is observed. The volume of the standard solution used is then used to calculate the concentration of the iron(II) ions.

2. What is the purpose of using a standard solution in volumetric estimation of iron(II) ions?

The standard solution is used as a reference point in the titration process. By knowing the concentration of the standard solution and the volume used in the titration, the concentration of the iron(II) ions can be calculated.

3. What are some common sources of error in volumetric estimation of iron(II) ions?

Some common sources of error in volumetric estimation include incorrect measurement of volumes, incomplete reaction between the iron(II) ions and the standard solution, and contamination of solutions.

4. Is it possible to estimate the concentration of iron(II) ions without a standard solution?

No, a standard solution is necessary for the titration process in volumetric estimation. Without a standard solution, there is no reference point to determine the concentration of the iron(II) ions.

5. How does the oxidation state of iron affect the volumetric estimation of iron(II) ions?

The oxidation state of iron is important in volumetric estimation because iron can exist in both the +2 and +3 oxidation states. Only iron(II) ions will react with the standard solution, so if there are any iron(III) ions present, the calculated concentration of iron(II) ions will be inaccurate.