Solving Volumetric Expansion of Water in Glass

• Thread starter chopnhack
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expansion
In summary: Oh, I see. They are asking how much more water you can add, not what percentage increase that represents.
chopnhack

Homework Statement

An ordinary glass is filled to the brim with water at 100oc. How much water could be added to the glass if the temperature is lowered to 20oC? Assume that the coefficient of volume expansion for glass is 2.7 x 10-5 K-1 and for water it is 2.1 x 10-4 K-1.

Homework Equations

ΔV = γ⋅VΔθ

The Attempt at a Solution

Δθ = 80 K
I will assume 1m3 for volume to make the calculations simple for both.

ΔVglass = 2.7 x 10-5 K-1⋅1m3⋅80k = 0.00216m3

ΔVwater = 2.1 x 10-4 K-1 ⋅ 1m3⋅80k = 0.0168m3

I reasoned that since there is differential shrinkage, the glass shrinks 0.00216m3, thus there is less available room for storing water, but the water shrank also, if we subtracted the results from each other, we would have the net change. So we could add 0.01464m3 more water.

I wanted to check my supposition that I could use 1m3 for both the glass and the water. The glass does not occupy a full cubic meter, since its mostly walls with a void in side. Is that right? Or does that not get addressed in intro physics? Have I worked out the problem correctly or ? I probably should report this in percentage as 1.46% change, no?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chopnhack said:

Homework Statement

An ordinary glass is filled to the brim with water at 100oc. How much water could be added to the glass if the temperature is lowered to 20oC? Assume that the coefficient of volume expansion for glass is 2.7 x 10-5 K-1 and for water it is 2.1 x 10-4 K-1.

Homework Equations

ΔV = γ⋅VΔθ

The Attempt at a Solution

Δθ = 80 K
I will assume 1m3 for volume to make the calculations simple for both.

ΔVglass = 2.7 x 10-5 K-1⋅1m3⋅80k = 0.00216m3

ΔVwater = 2.1 x 10-4 K-1 ⋅ 1m3⋅80k = 0.0168m3

I reasoned that since there is differential shrinkage, the glass shrinks 0.00216m3, thus there is less available room for storing water, but the water shrank also, if we subtracted the results from each other, we would have the net change. So we could add 0.01464m3 more water.

I wanted to check my supposition that I could use 1m3 for both the glass and the water. The glass does not occupy a full cubic meter, since its mostly walls with a void in side. Is that right? Or does that not get addressed in intro physics? Have I worked out the problem correctly or ? I probably should report this in percentage as 1.46% change, no?

Thanks!
Hint: Suppose you replace the water in the full glass with an equivalent volume of glass. Won't the glass remain full, no matter the temperature ?

Likes chopnhack
If this was all glass, then the entire piece would expand and contract together.

What were you hinting at? Did I get it wrong?

chopnhack said:
If this was all glass, then the entire piece would expand and contract together.

What were you hinting at? Did I get it wrong?
You seemed rather uncertain as to whether your supposition was correct so I tried to give a hint to help your confidence.
chopnhack said:
You could have used something more general for the volume, such as V0, or V100. The main point, however, is to use this for both glass and water.

By the way:
In the blue bar above the window for composing a post, find X2 and X2 for superscript and subscript. Also find there ∑ to give a large set of symbols, including the degree ° symbol.

Even better is to learn a little LaTeX .

Added in Edit: Your result looks correct to me.

Likes chopnhack
Gotcha, thank you for confirming the work. I hope you can understand my trepidation - the glass itself doesn't occupy a cubic meter, so when I made that assumption, I was concerned that I had missed something fundamental. I had copied and pasted the question and didn't go back to revise it. I am familiar with the site tools now, but latex still gives me a rash ;-)
cheers

chopnhack said:
I probably should report this in percentage as 1.46% change
As I read the question, it is asking for an actual volume. (If you quote a percentage, would that be of the original volume or of the new volume?)

Likes chopnhack
haruspex said:
As I read the question, it is asking for an actual volume. (If you quote a percentage, would that be of the original volume or of the new volume?)
I wrote it up as the ability to add ~1.4% more water. I would take that as an increase over the original volume.

What is volumetric expansion of water in glass?

Volumetric expansion of water in glass refers to the increase in volume of water when it is heated inside a glass container. This phenomenon occurs due to the expansion of water molecules when heated, which causes an increase in volume.

Why is it important to understand volumetric expansion of water in glass?

Understanding volumetric expansion of water in glass is important in various fields such as engineering, chemistry, and physics. It helps in accurately measuring volumes, designing glass containers, and studying the properties of water and glass.

How is volumetric expansion of water in glass calculated?

Volumetric expansion of water in glass can be calculated using the formula: ΔV = V₀αΔT, where ΔV is the change in volume, V₀ is the initial volume, α is the coefficient of volumetric expansion, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

What factors affect the volumetric expansion of water in glass?

The volumetric expansion of water in glass is affected by various factors such as the type of glass, temperature change, and the amount of water present. Additionally, the shape and size of the glass container can also impact the expansion.

How can volumetric expansion of water in glass be minimized?

To minimize the volumetric expansion of water in glass, the glass container can be made from materials with a lower coefficient of expansion, such as borosilicate glass. Additionally, using a larger container and filling it with less water can also help reduce the expansion.