Volumetric flow through a pipe

• Thread starter wadswwc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flow Pipe
In summary, Trae is seeking help to calculate the volumetric flow rate of air coming out of a chamber that is experiencing a change in pressure over a certain amount of time. He mentions having some information such as the initial and final pressure, change in time, fluid type, temperature, and volume of the chamber. He is looking for guidance on which equations to use and what additional information he may need. The Darcy Weisbach equation is typically used to analyze fluid flow through pipes, and there is a thread on a forum that provides reference material and some discussion on it.
wadswwc
Hey so I am trying to calculate the following scenario.

I have a chamber that must change in pressure at a certain amount of time. I need to find the volumetric flow rate coming out of the chamber.

Here is the info I have
P0=11psi, P1 = 6psi
Change in time = .25s
Fluid = air
Temperature = 277K
Volume of chamber = .01m3

I don't need an answer I just need direction, what equations to use, what additional info I need.

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Trae

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is volumetric flow through a pipe?

Volumetric flow through a pipe is the volume of fluid (gas or liquid) that passes through a pipe per unit time. It is typically measured in cubic meters per second (m3/s) or liters per second (L/s).

2. How is volumetric flow through a pipe calculated?

Volumetric flow through a pipe is calculated by multiplying the cross-sectional area of the pipe by the fluid velocity. The formula is Q = A x V, where Q is the volumetric flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area, and V is the fluid velocity.

3. What factors affect the volumetric flow through a pipe?

The volumetric flow through a pipe is affected by the size and shape of the pipe, the fluid velocity, the fluid viscosity, and any obstructions or restrictions in the pipe. Other factors such as temperature and pressure may also have an impact.

4. How does the diameter of a pipe affect volumetric flow?

The diameter of a pipe has a significant impact on the volumetric flow. As the diameter increases, the cross-sectional area of the pipe increases, allowing for a greater volume of fluid to pass through. This results in a higher volumetric flow rate.

5. Can the volumetric flow through a pipe be controlled?

Yes, the volumetric flow through a pipe can be controlled by adjusting the diameter of the pipe, the fluid velocity, and any obstructions or restrictions in the pipe. In some cases, flow control devices such as valves or pumps may also be used to regulate the volumetric flow rate.