1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volumetric Strain - HELP!

1. Apr 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A rectangular steel bar has length 250 mm, width 50 mm, and thickness 25 mm. The bar is subjected to a compressive force of 450 kN on the 250 mm x 50 mm face, a tensile force of 450 kN on the 250 mm x 25 mm face, and a tensile force of 45 kN on the 50 mm x 25 mm face.

(a) Find the change in volume of the bar under the force system.

2. Relevant equations

The forces can be assumed to be uniformly distributed over the respective faces.

Take E = 200 kN/mm[tex]^{2}[/tex] and Poissons ratio = 0.26

3. The attempt at a solution

I have calculated [tex]\sigma[/tex]x = -0.036 kN/mm[tex]^{2}[/tex], [tex]\sigma[/tex]y = 0.072 kN/mm[tex]^{2}[/tex] and [tex]\sigma[/tex]z = 0.036 kN/mm[tex]^{2}[/tex].

With these values, using Hooke's Law: [tex]\epsilon[/tex] = 1/E[[tex]\sigma[/tex]1 - [tex]\upsilon[/tex]([tex]\sigma[/tex]2 + [tex]\sigma[/tex]3)] I have calculated:

[tex]\epsilon[/tex]x = 3.6x10[tex]^{-4}[/tex], [tex]\epsilon[/tex]y = -3.204x10[tex]^{-4}[/tex] and [tex]\epsilon[/tex]z = 1.332x10[tex]^{-4}[/tex].

Furthermore, using the equation for volumetric strain: [tex]\nabla[/tex]V/Vo = [tex]\epsilon[/tex](1-2[tex]\upsilon[/tex]) I have calculated the change in volume to be 25.92 mm[tex]^{2}[/tex]. This, according to the answer I have been provided with, appears to be incorrect.

I would appreciate any guidance with this.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi cicatriz, welcome to PF. Try using this equation for change in volume:

[tex]\Delta V=V_0\left[(1+\epsilon_1)(1+\epsilon_2)(1+\epsilon_3)-1\right][/tex]

I'm not sure how the other one was derived (hydrostatic pressure maybe?) but it doesn't look right. I checked your strain values and they look fine. The change in volume should be about twice what you got previously.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?