1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volumetric strain

1. Dec 3, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How do I solve the following block to find the volumetric strain. Its question 3 on the link

http://img201.imageshack.us/my.php?image=file0001pf0.jpg

I know that volumetric strain is equal to change in volume EV/ origninal volume(V)

Is Ev = Ex + Ey + Ev equal to volumetric strain.

I was told that the volumetric strain should be about 6.8 x 10^-4

Any help would be appreciated people.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2006 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I am used to seeing volume dilation as the sum of the principal strains.

[tex]D = [\epsilon_1 + \epsilon_2 + \epsilon_3] = J_1[/tex] where [tex]J_1[/tex] is the first strain invariant.

I would tackle the problem that way. Calculate the principal strains and add them together.

EDIT: After looking at the problem, it is in a state of zero shear. Therefore [tex]\sigma_x[/tex], [tex]\sigma_y[/tex] and [tex]\sigma_z[/tex] are going to be the principal stresses. So, if you calculate the strains from the principal stresses you will be calculating the principal strains. Things should be pretty straight forward. I ended up calculating [tex]6.5 x 10^{-4}[/tex]

Do you know the 3 dimensional stress-strain relations that involve E and [tex]\nu[/tex]?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  4. Dec 4, 2006 #3
    yes I do

E = 200x10^9
    v = 0.3

5. Dec 4, 2006 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Those are constants, not the relations themselves. I meant the entire relations, i.e. equations.

Hint: There are three equations you're looking for and each equation will have one strain element and all three stress elements.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?