Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volunteer Needed To Run PF Photo Contest From 4/26-5/17

1. Apr 12, 2008 #1

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

A fun and imaginative volunteer is needed to run the PF Photo Contest starting on April 26, with the last contest being run on May 17. This person is responsible for coming up with the appropriate themes, posting the contest on the Saturdays during that period, setting up the voting rounds, and posting the list of winners in the PF Photo Contest Winners thread. This person should also be familiar with PF/Contest posting rules, and also familiar with the workings of PF, especially in setting up the polls similar to what has been done with the contest. I prefer someone who is also quite familiar with how the Photo Contest has been conducted.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2008 #2
    Why is this volunteer needed ?
  4. Apr 12, 2008 #3
    Obviously because Zz won't be able to do it...
  5. Apr 12, 2008 #4
    I repeat my question : why is this volunteer needed ?
  6. Apr 12, 2008 #5
    Because if said volunteer is not found, there will be no photo contest on those dates.
  7. Apr 12, 2008 #6
    And would that be such a bad thing, NeoDevin ?

8. Apr 12, 2008 #7

Gold Member

It would be a loss, i would help but do not qualify.
  9. Apr 12, 2008 #8
    Why would you not qualify, Wolram?

Anyway, we should go for it. I can do it.
  10. Apr 12, 2008 #9
    I don't understand. If you're not such a big fan of the photo contest, why did you even bother responding to this thread? Infact, nearly two-fifths of the posts in this thread are your very own responses.
  11. Apr 13, 2008 #10
    You wouldn't qualify ? LOL C'mon, to start a thread about pictures ???

How do you come to this conclusion ? All i asked about is why we need a volunteer ???

12. Apr 13, 2008 #11
    He's saying so what if the photo competition isn't run for a short time.

I don't qualify either, I could do it, but I'm not familiar enough with the competition rules and its running etc.
  13. Apr 13, 2008 #12
    You asked more than that in post #6. C'mmon Marlon, when one asks "And would [not having a photo contest for a month] be such a bad thing, NeoDevin ?", it's doesn't exactly sound like one is a big fan of said photo contest.
  14. Apr 13, 2008 #13
    I am sorry, but you are speculating based upon impressions. Besides, it was YOU who started asking "if you don't care, why keep posting messages". Well, i think it is pretty clear why i keep posting messages. The questions i ask should speak for themselves, no ?

15. Apr 13, 2008 #14
    I'd be willing to bet that the majority of people who read your post #6 here will come to the same "speculation based upon impression" that I did. I mean, when one asks, for instance, "and would it be such a bad thing if we did not have sales tax for a month?", it's pretty standard way to interpret that "question" as infact a veiled statement about one's dislike for sales tax. So, to me, your "question" sounds like a veiled statement which I believe most of the people who read your post #6 will also think is a veiled statement.

Oh and "speculation based upon impressions?" Seriously? Are you psychoanalying my thoughts? Hmmm... wonder if that is based upon speculation of impressions? (Oh and yes, you'd be correct in interpreting that question as a veiled statement)

Oh please, you're turning this around one me? Attack the questioner, not the question?
    Yeah it's pretty clear why you keep posting "questions"... it's because you don't have a lif... oh right , no presonal comments.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  16. Apr 13, 2008 #15
    Guys take the argument somewhere else. Zz, would alot of it be copying and pasting the rules etc?
  17. Apr 13, 2008 #16

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Quite a bit more than that, actually. You also need to monitor that the entries are within the theme that you've posted. So that can be the tricky part since you want to be fair that everyone is sticking by the theme, in addition to the rules. Still, you are the final arbiter if a photo fits in with the theme or not. You can get the help of a Mentor (especially Evo) if a post needs to be edited, etc.

The most tedious part is, of course, setting up the poll, especially if you get a lot of entries and have to do multiple polls, and have to get the winners in 2 rounds of polling. Try doing that week in and week out, and you'll see why it is a thankless, tedious work :).

At this point, I already have a couple of people volunteering to run the contest. I will decide who get the responsibility later this week, but so far, they're both highly qualified and long-time participants of this contest. So I don't foresee any major disruptions of the contest.

18. Apr 13, 2008 #17
    That's good news Zz!
  19. Apr 13, 2008 #18
    Great, Zapper! It's nice to know that people have stepped up. I would have volunteered too but I've never submit pics and I don't know how to do polls.
  20. Apr 13, 2008 #19

Gold Member

I could do it if you like!
  21. Apr 13, 2008 #20
    Meanwhile here is the list of past contests:

other things that come into mind:

Singing in the rain.
    Spring is here (new life)
    Let's play!
    never promised you a rose garden

there must be plenty more.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?