Volunteer Needed To Run Photo Contest From 4/26-5/17

In summary, a volunteer is needed to run the PF Photo Contest starting on April 26, with the last contest being run on May 17. This person is responsible for coming up with the appropriate themes, posting the contest on the Saturdays during that period, setting up the voting rounds, and posting the list of winners in the PF Photo Contest Winners thread. This person should also be familiar with PF/Contest posting rules, and also familiar with the workings of PF, especially in setting up the polls similar to what has been done with the contest.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
A fun and imaginative volunteer is needed to run the PF Photo Contest starting on April 26, with the last contest being run on May 17. This person is responsible for coming up with the appropriate themes, posting the contest on the Saturdays during that period, setting up the voting rounds, and posting the list of winners in the PF Photo Contest Winners thread. This person should also be familiar with PF/Contest posting rules, and also familiar with the workings of PF, especially in setting up the polls similar to what has been done with the contest. I prefer someone who is also quite familiar with how the Photo Contest has been conducted.

Thank you.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is this volunteer needed ?

Obviously because Zz won't be able to do it...

I repeat my question : why is this volunteer needed ?

Because if said volunteer is not found, there will be no photo contest on those dates.

NeoDevin said:
Because if said volunteer is not found, there will be no photo contest on those dates.

And would that be such a bad thing, NeoDevin ?

marlon

marlon said:

marlon

It would be a loss, i would help but do not qualify.

Why would you not qualify, Wolram?

Anyway, we should go for it. I can do it.

marlon said:

marlon

I don't understand. If you're not such a big fan of the photo contest, why did you even bother responding to this thread? Infact, nearly two-fifths of the posts in this thread are your very own responses.

wolram said:
It would be a loss, i would help but do not qualify.
You wouldn't qualify ? LOL C'mon, to start a thread about pictures ?

RetardedBastard said:
I don't understand. If you're not such a big fan of the photo contest,
How do you come to this conclusion ? All i asked about is why we need a volunteer ?

marlon

He's saying so what if the photo competition isn't run for a short time.

I don't qualify either, I could do it, but I'm not familiar enough with the competition rules and its running etc.

marlon said:
You wouldn't qualify ? LOL C'mon, to start a thread about pictures ?

How do you come to this conclusion ? All i asked about is why we need a volunteer ?

marlon

You asked more than that in post #6. C'mmon Marlon, when one asks "And would [not having a photo contest for a month] be such a bad thing, NeoDevin ?", it's doesn't exactly sound like one is a big fan of said photo contest.

RetardedBastard said:
You asked more than that in post #6. C'mmon Marlon, when one asks "And would [not having a photo contest for a month] be such a bad thing, NeoDevin ?", it's doesn't exactly sound like one is a big fan of said photo contest.

I am sorry, but you are speculating based upon impressions. Besides, it was YOU who started asking "if you don't care, why keep posting messages". Well, i think it is pretty clear why i keep posting messages. The questions i ask should speak for themselves, no ?

marlon

marlon said:
I am sorry, but you are speculating based upon impressions.

I'd be willing to bet that the majority of people who read your post #6 here will come to the same "speculation based upon impression" that I did. I mean, when one asks, for instance, "and would it be such a bad thing if we did not have sales tax for a month?", it's pretty standard way to interpret that "question" as infact a veiled statement about one's dislike for sales tax. So, to me, your "question" sounds like a veiled statement which I believe most of the people who read your post #6 will also think is a veiled statement.

Oh and "speculation based upon impressions?" Seriously? Are you psychoanalying my thoughts? Hmmm... wonder if that is based upon speculation of impressions? (Oh and yes, you'd be correct in interpreting that question as a veiled statement)

Besides, it was YOU who started asking "if you don't care, why keep posting messages". Well, i think it is pretty clear why i keep posting messages. The questions i ask should speak for themselves, no ?

marlon

Oh please, you're turning this around one me? Attack the questioner, not the question?
Yeah it's pretty clear why you keep posting "questions"... it's because you don't have a lif... oh right , no presonal comments.

Last edited:
Guys take the argument somewhere else. Zz, would a lot of it be copying and pasting the rules etc?

_Mayday_ said:
Zz, would a lot of it be copying and pasting the rules etc?

Quite a bit more than that, actually. You also need to monitor that the entries are within the theme that you've posted. So that can be the tricky part since you want to be fair that everyone is sticking by the theme, in addition to the rules. Still, you are the final arbiter if a photo fits in with the theme or not. You can get the help of a Mentor (especially Evo) if a post needs to be edited, etc.

The most tedious part is, of course, setting up the poll, especially if you get a lot of entries and have to do multiple polls, and have to get the winners in 2 rounds of polling. Try doing that week in and week out, and you'll see why it is a thankless, tedious work :).

At this point, I already have a couple of people volunteering to run the contest. I will decide who get the responsibility later this week, but so far, they're both highly qualified and long-time participants of this contest. So I don't foresee any major disruptions of the contest.

Zz.

That's good news Zz!

ZapperZ said:
Quite a bit more than that, actually. You also need to monitor that the entries are within the theme that you've posted. So that can be the tricky part since you want to be fair that everyone is sticking by the theme, in addition to the rules. Still, you are the final arbiter if a photo fits in with the theme or not. You can get the help of a Mentor (especially Evo) if a post needs to be edited, etc.

The most tedious part is, of course, setting up the poll, especially if you get a lot of entries and have to do multiple polls, and have to get the winners in 2 rounds of polling. Try doing that week in and week out, and you'll see why it is a thankless, tedious work :).

At this point, I already have a couple of people volunteering to run the contest. I will decide who get the responsibility later this week, but so far, they're both highly qualified and long-time participants of this contest. So I don't foresee any major disruptions of the contest.

Zz.

Great, Zapper! It's nice to know that people have stepped up. I would have volunteered too but I've never submit pics and I don't know how to do polls.

I could do it if you like!

Meanwhile here is the list of past contests:

Your City/Neighborhood.
Food!
Things That Go Bump In The Night.
You Animal!
Gone But Not Forgotten
Take Me Home, Country Road
Fire In The Sky
When You Wish Upon A Star
Summer Lovin'
What's New Pussycat?
"A" is for ... August!
You're So Cold, You're So Cold!
Bridge Over Troubled Water.
I'm Ready For My Closeup, Mr. DeMille
Labor of Love
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
Falling for Autumn
Water, Water, Everywhere!
Bad Picture!
Tranquil
Icons
Halloween!
Pretty In Pink
Lighthouse
Happy Thanksgiving!
She Blinded Me With Science!
Old MacDonald Had A Farm
O' Christmas Tree, O' Christmas Tree
Happy Holidays!
We Built This City!
Happy New Year!
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.
Now that's funny!
Straight and Narrow
Cry Me A River
Turning Over A New Leaf
Will You Be My Valentine?
Happy New Year!
It's All There, In Black and White
Ain't No Mountain High Enough
Sunrise, Sunset
Green With Envy
People, People Who Need People
April Fool!
Ain't No Valley Low Enough
Rubber Eraser
Nightlight
Toy Pictures 'R' Us
Life Is A Cabaret, Old Chum!
Happy Mother’s Day
Play It Again Sam!
Heavy Metals
Me and My Shadow
Rock The Boat
Bad Picture 2
Silhouette
Food and Wine
Top of the World
Vacation
Happy Happy Happy, Joy Joy Joy
I Need Some Zzzzz's
Statuesque
This is Halloween
Orange
Six Feet Under
Eat, And Be Merry
Animal Instinct
Are You For Real?
Walking In The Winter Wonderland
Holiday Lights
It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas
Tropical Paradise
Dancing With The Stars
A Moment of Reflection
Don't Go Chasing Waterfalls
My Funny Valentine
Still Life
Water Works
Dog Day Afternoon.
Green Acres
Black And White
Sign Language
Culture Club
Things are looking up
A Sight For Sore Eyes

other things that come into mind:

Singing in the rain.
Spring is here (new life)
Let's play!
never promised you a rose garden

there must be plenty more.

Andre said:
Meanwhile here is the list of past contests:

other things that come into mind:

Singing in the rain.
Spring is here (new life)
Let's play!
never promised you a rose garden

there must be plenty more.

"Old and Rusty"

RetardedBastard said:
"Old and Rusty"

Let's say vintage & weathered.

so, have we found that volunteer yet ?marlon

marlon said:
so, have we found that volunteer yet ?
Yes, we have.

1. What are the responsibilities of the volunteer running the PF Photo Contest?

The volunteer will be responsible for managing the submission process, organizing the entries, selecting the winners, and promoting the contest on social media.

2. How much time commitment is required for the volunteer position?

The volunteer will need to dedicate approximately 2-3 hours per week for the duration of the contest, with the highest time commitment being during the submission and judging period.

3. Is any prior experience or expertise required to volunteer for this position?

Prior experience or expertise is not required, but basic knowledge of photography and photo editing software may be beneficial in selecting the winners.

4. Will the volunteer be compensated for their time and work?

This is a volunteer position and therefore is unpaid. However, the volunteer will gain valuable experience in event planning, project management, and social media marketing.

5. How can I apply to volunteer for the PF Photo Contest?

If you are interested in volunteering for the PF Photo Contest, please email [contact email] with your name, contact information, and a brief description of your interest and qualifications. The selected volunteer will be notified via email.