1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Von Karman and Prandtl laws

1. Apr 26, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    there are 2 formula of vont karman and prandit laws to find the friction factorfor rough pipe and smooth pipe , which formula should i use for this question?
    CWNkKEe.png
    d1kMTSw.png .
    P/ s : I'm asked to find the friction factor using the vont karman and prandit laws.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2016 #2
    it didnt stated whether it's smooth or rough pipe , which formula should we use?

4. Apr 26, 2016 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I was going to propose you do both (assuming some reasonable ##e## for galvanized ion pipe ) and compare ... :smile:

On the other hand, you do have the data to calculate Re so I certainly wouldn't leave out that one...

5. Apr 27, 2016 #4
    well , i have found that the f for rough pipe is 0.017 , nut i am not sure how to find f for smooth pipe using von karman and Prandlt laws ... for smooth pipe , i have 1 / ( surd f ) = 2 log [(3.72 x 10^5) (surd f ) / 2.51 ]

P/ s: by using scientific calculator , i get the f for smooth pipe is 0.014 , which value should i choose ? f= 0.017 or 0.014 ?

6. Apr 27, 2016 #5

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Edit : Duplicate information removed .

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  7. Apr 27, 2016 #6
    so , do you have any comment on this question / which is correct ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted