Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Von neumann, pointer state

1. Feb 11, 2005 #1
    Could somebody please explain or give me a link to an explanation of the idea about measerument that von neumann put forward. That is that a system interacts with a pointer state associated with the measurering device with the hamiltonian

H:=c * d(t) * A (X) * P

where d(t) is diracs delta, (X) is the tensor product, A is an operator representing what we measure and P is a momentum operator acting on the pointer state.

I have some understanding of this but I have failed to find a detailed explanation anywhere on the internet, just some notes that von neumann thought of it in 1932. I really would like to see some examples etc.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did u try to look in his book...?I'm sure u won't find the book on the internet,only at the library.

4. Feb 12, 2005 #3
    no I havent but I assume that its written in german ? von neumann sounds kind of german!
  5. Feb 12, 2005 #4
    Your right, my local library actually has a new edition of it, published in 96! thanks for the tip.
  6. Feb 12, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Johann (then John) von Neumann was a Hungarian-born American professor...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?