VonMangoldt Formula: Exploring Discontinuities at Powers of Primes

• Thread starter saltydog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the vonMongoldt formula, which is derived from a Mellin transform and Chebyshev's function, shows discontinuities at prime powers due to the explicit formula and its connection to primes and zeros. This sum is conditionally convergent and the order of the zeros affects its convergence. There seems to be no direct explanation for why these discontinuities occur, but they may be similar to the Gibbs Phenomenon in Fourier series. The sum can also be expressed as a Fourier-like series, which explains its "saw-tooth" shape.
saltydog
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Regarding the vonMongoldt formula:

[tex]\psi_0(x)=x-\sum_{\rho}\frac{x^{\rho}}{\rho}-ln(2\pi)-1/2ln(1-\frac{1}{x^2})[/tex]

I cannot understand why the sum over the complex zeros exhibits discontinuities at powers of primes. I understand why [itex]\psi_0(x)[/tex] does as this results from the derivation of the formula from a Mellin transform (Perron's formula) and a function derived from Chebyshev's function which itself is discontinuous at powers of primes. But why should the sum over the complex zeros exhibit the same type of discontinuity? They seem unrelated. I'll be looking into it. Might take a while though.

Physics news on Phys.org
The explicit formula itself is the best explanation on why it has jumps at prime powers. This is really the most basic tool for going back and forth between primes and zeros.

It's worth pointing out that this sum is only conditionally convergent, the order you put the zeros in does matter, so you wouldn't be able to assert continuity based on absolute convergence for example.

shmoe said:
The explicit formula itself is the best explanation on why it has jumps at prime powers. This is really the most basic tool for going back and forth between primes and zeros.

Thanks for replying Shmoe. Suppose though I looked at the sum in "complete isolation" without it's connection to Analytic Number Theory:

[tex]\lim_{T\to\infty}\sum_{|\gamma|\leq T} \frac{x^{\rho}}{\rho}[/tex]

for Zeta zeros (well then not complete isolation):

[tex]\rho=\sigma+i\gamma[/tex].

You mean, there is no "dirrect" explanation of why this sum (and others like it) have discontinuities? Might be something interesting to look into, experiement with. For example, I can change the values slightly such as:

[tex]\lim_{T\to\infty}\sum_{|\gamma|\leq T} \frac{x^{\rho+0.1}}{\rho+0.1}[/tex]

and it still seems to exhibit discontinuities.

Interesting:smile:

Last edited:
- Perhaps it's something similar to a "Gibbs Phenomenon" that also happens with the Fourier series of certain function with discontinuities...

lokofer said:
- Perhaps it's something similar to a "Gibbs Phenomenon" that also happens with the Fourier series of certain function with discontinuities...

Hello Lokofer. I think the Gibbs Phenomenon is a property of Fourier Series in general and pertains to the "overshoot" and "undershoot" of the convergence of the series near a discontinuity. That however is not the reason the sum is discontinuous at prime powers.

I think I know why it's discontinuous just not why at prime powers. No doubt the particular values of the zeta zeros somehow are causing the discontinuities there. I suspect no other values of [itex] \rho[/itex] in the sum will cause discontinuities at ALL prime powers and that there may exist a set of values that do so only at primes. Interesting problem . . .

If I write the sum as:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
\lim_{T\to\infty}\sum_{|\gamma|\leq T}\frac{x^{\rho}}{\rho}&=
\left[\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\frac{\sqrt{x}\left[Cos(t_i lnx)+2t_i Sin(t_i lnx)\right]}{1/4+t_i^2} \right] \\
&=\sqrt{x}\left[\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_nCos(\omega_n ln(x))+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}b_n Sin(\omega_n ln(x))\right]
\end{align}
[/tex]

where the t's are the ordinates of the Zeta zeros above the real axis, I can begin to see why it exhibits "saw-tooth-like" discontinuities: The sum is actually a Fourier-like series in disquise which converges to the saw-tooth-like function which the sum represents!

See guys . . . never a dull moment in the big-house.:biggrin:

Last edited:

1. What is the VonMangoldt formula?

The VonMangoldt formula is a mathematical expression that relates the distribution of prime numbers to the distribution of discontinuities in a function. It is named after German mathematician Hans von Mangoldt and is an important tool in number theory and the study of prime numbers.

2. How does the VonMangoldt formula relate to primes?

The VonMangoldt formula states that the number of discontinuities in a function at powers of primes is equal to the number of prime factors in that power. In other words, the formula reveals a relationship between the distribution of primes and the distribution of discontinuities at powers of primes.

3. What is the significance of the VonMangoldt formula?

The VonMangoldt formula is significant because it provides a way to study the distribution of primes, which is a fundamental problem in number theory. It has also been used in various applications, such as in cryptography and the Riemann hypothesis.

4. What are the practical applications of the VonMangoldt formula?

Aside from its use in theoretical mathematics, the VonMangoldt formula has practical applications in the field of cryptography. It has been used to develop more secure encryption methods and to find patterns in prime numbers that can help improve the efficiency of cryptographic algorithms.

5. Are there any limitations or criticisms of the VonMangoldt formula?

One limitation of the VonMangoldt formula is that it only applies to functions that are continuous and differentiable. This means that it cannot be used to study other types of functions, such as fractals. Additionally, some mathematicians have criticized the formula for being too complex and difficult to understand, making it less accessible for those outside the field of mathematics.