VOR Circuit Test: Learn More About Aviation Testing

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of VOR (VHF Omnidirectional Range) circuit tests and how the VOR system works in aviation. The conversation also mentions the use of VOR in flight navigation and provides a reference for further information.
karim102
Hi,:cool:
I really confuse about VOR circuit test of couse I mean for aviation, I want to know how is it working? If anyone has idea about that Please tell me.:frown:

Thx a lot :rolleyes:

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would not expect many here know what that acronym is? I had to look it up VOR (vhf omnidirectional range) ref1 If your trying to understand how VOR works, the reference I gave should get you off and running..

If your trying to understand the circuitry in a VOR system, please elaborate on your question. What does your circuit look like?

Last edited:
The Wikipedia article linked by Ouabache explains very well how the VOR systems works. In plain english, a VOR signal is composite, and consists of both a non-rotating signal and a rotating signal. The VOR receiver can measure the difference in phase between the two to determine direction.

Pilots using VOR often fly so-called "Victor airways", flight paths defined by specific radials to or from VOR stations.

- Warren

1. What is a VOR circuit test?

A VOR circuit test is a method used to check the accuracy and functionality of VOR (Very High Frequency Omnidirectional Range) equipment in aircraft. It involves transmitting a signal from the VOR transmitter and verifying that the signal is being received properly by the VOR receiver in the aircraft.

2. Why is a VOR circuit test important?

A VOR circuit test is important because VOR navigation is a critical component of aviation. It allows pilots to accurately determine their position and navigate to their desired destination. A malfunction in the VOR equipment could lead to incorrect navigation and potentially dangerous situations.

3. How often should a VOR circuit test be performed?

A VOR circuit test should be performed before each flight or at least once every 30 days, as mandated by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). It is also recommended to perform the test after any maintenance or repair work on the VOR equipment.

4. Can a VOR circuit test be done by the pilot?

Yes, a VOR circuit test can be done by the pilot. The test is relatively simple and can be performed using the VOR receiver in the aircraft. However, it is important for pilots to be properly trained on how to conduct a VOR circuit test and to follow the correct procedures.

5. Are there any alternatives to a VOR circuit test?

Yes, there are alternative methods for testing VOR equipment, such as using a VOR test signal generator or using a GPS receiver to verify VOR accuracy. However, the VOR circuit test is the most common and widely accepted method for testing VOR equipment in aviation.