Vortex lattice method - advise?

In summary: Your Name]In summary, Chris is a final year Aerospace Engineering student who wants to measure the roll rate and other aerodynamic characteristics of a jet aircraft using a morphing wing. Due to time constraints, he may not be able to create a 3D CFD model and is seeking advice on using the vortex lattice method. He is also curious about a program called Tornado, which is a MATLAB representation of the vortex lattice method. Experts recommend doing background research on the vortex lattice method and reaching out to other researchers for guidance. It is also important to validate results and not rely solely on one program.
monkeyman_72
Hey I think I posted this first in the wrong thread so i hope this is right now :)

I'm in my final year of Aerospace Engineering student and I've recently been trying to develop some work where i want to measure the roll rate plus some other aerodynamic characteristics of a jet aircraft in both its standard configuration and with a basic morphing wing. I initially was trying to just use a modified lifting line theory to get some initial results before I would implement a 2D and finally a 3D CFD model. Though now due to time restraint I may not be able to do a 3D model so I require some more accurate preliminary data. It has been recommended to me that for better results I should use the vortex lattice method.
Although I didn't know a lot about the lifting line theory i could at least get started, though for the vortex lattice method I know nothing. I was wondering if anyone has any advise or suggestions about how I could get started with some research and learn how to use this method.
Also in my own research I've come across a program call Tornado which is a MATLAB representation of the vortex lattice method which is what I was intending to create, I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about this program and if so if they could tell me much about it and if its worth using at least as a starting reference.

If anyone has any advise at all that would be much appreciated as I'm, a bit lost at the moment. Also if its easier feel free to email me on monkeyman_72@hotmail.com.

Thanks,
Chris

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Chris,

Thank you for reaching out to the forum for advice on your project. It sounds like you have a lot of great ideas and a solid plan in place for your research. I am a scientist with expertise in aerodynamics and I would be happy to offer some guidance on your project.

First of all, I think it is great that you are considering the use of both lifting line theory and the vortex lattice method in your research. These are both useful tools for predicting aerodynamic characteristics of aircraft. However, it is important to note that these methods have limitations and may not provide completely accurate results. As you mentioned, a 3D CFD model would be the most accurate option, but I understand that time constraints may prevent you from using it.

In terms of getting started with the vortex lattice method, I recommend doing some background research to understand the theory behind it and how it differs from lifting line theory. There are many resources available online and in textbooks that can help you with this. Additionally, you may want to reach out to other researchers who have experience with the vortex lattice method to ask for their advice and guidance.

Regarding the Tornado program, I am not familiar with it myself, but it may be worth looking into as a starting point for your research. However, I would caution against relying too heavily on a single program or tool. It is always important to validate your results and use multiple methods to ensure accuracy.

I hope this helps get you started on your research. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions. Best of luck with your project!

Hello Chris,

Thank you for reaching out for advice on the vortex lattice method. I can understand the time constraints and need for accurate preliminary data in your project. The vortex lattice method is a widely used and accepted approach for calculating the aerodynamic characteristics of aircraft, and it can certainly provide more accurate results compared to the modified lifting line theory.

To get started with the vortex lattice method, I would recommend doing some background research on the method itself and its applications in aircraft design. There are many resources available online, such as research papers, textbooks, and tutorials, that can provide a good understanding of the method and its implementation.

In addition, you can also explore the Tornado program and see if it fits your needs. It is always helpful to have a starting reference when learning a new method. However, it is important to understand the underlying principles and assumptions of the method rather than solely relying on a program.

I would also suggest reaching out to your professors or colleagues who may have experience with the vortex lattice method. They can provide valuable insights and guidance as you delve into this method.

In conclusion, the vortex lattice method is a powerful tool for calculating aerodynamic characteristics and can provide more accurate results for your project. With some research and guidance from experts, I believe you can successfully implement it in your work. Best of luck!

1. What is the Vortex Lattice Method?

The Vortex Lattice Method (VLM) is a computational method used to analyze the aerodynamics of a two-dimensional or three-dimensional body. It models the flow around the body as a series of vortices and calculates the resulting lift and drag forces.

2. When is the Vortex Lattice Method used?

The Vortex Lattice Method is commonly used in preliminary design of aircraft and other aerodynamic bodies. It is also used in the analysis of wind turbines, propellers, and other lifting surfaces.

3. What are the advantages of using the Vortex Lattice Method?

The Vortex Lattice Method is relatively simple to implement and provides accurate results for low to moderate angles of attack. It can also handle complex geometries and can be easily automated for parametric studies.

4. Are there any limitations to the Vortex Lattice Method?

Yes, the Vortex Lattice Method is limited to inviscid, incompressible flows and cannot account for boundary layer effects. It also does not consider three-dimensional flow effects, such as crossflow or spanwise flow.

5. How accurate is the Vortex Lattice Method compared to other methods?

The accuracy of the Vortex Lattice Method depends on the complexity of the geometry and the angle of attack. It is generally less accurate than more advanced computational fluid dynamics methods, but can provide good results for preliminary design purposes.