1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vortex lattice method - advise?

1. Sep 3, 2009 #1
    Hey I think I posted this first in the wrong thread so i hope this is right now :)

I'm in my final year of Aerospace Engineering student and I've recently been trying to develop some work where i want to measure the roll rate plus some other aerodynamic characteristics of a jet aircraft in both its standard configuration and with a basic morphing wing. I initially was trying to just use a modified lifting line theory to get some initial results before I would implement a 2D and finally a 3D CFD model. Though now due to time restraint I may not be able to do a 3D model so I require some more accurate preliminary data. It has been recommended to me that for better results I should use the vortex lattice method.
    Although I didn't know a lot about the lifting line theory i could at least get started, though for the vortex lattice method I know nothing. I was wondering if anyone has any advise or suggestions about how I could get started with some research and learn how to use this method.
    Also in my own research I've come across a program call Tornado which is a matlab representation of the vortex lattice method which is what I was intending to create, I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about this program and if so if they could tell me much about it and if its worth using at least as a starting reference.

If anyone has any advise at all that would be much appreciated as I'm, a bit lost at the moment. Also if its easier feel free to email me on monkeyman_72@hotmail.com.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?