Spiral Galaxies and Cyclones: Investigating Their Similarities

In summary, the conversation discusses the similarities between spiral galaxies and cyclones, specifically their spiral shape. The speaker mentions that they are wondering if the equations describing their motion are the same, but upon researching, found them to be complex. The other speaker clarifies that the spiral shape in galaxies is due to density resonances, not a vortex, and mentions the differences between the two phenomena. They also suggest researching more on cyclones and density waves in galaxies.
Zeynel
There’s an obvious resemblance between a spiral galaxy and a cyclone. They have the same spiral shape. I was wondering if the equations describing both motion are the same. I googled vortex motion but equations and concepts looked very specialized and complex for me to understand easily. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Zeynel said:
They have the same spiral shape.
They 'look' similar but the galaxy shape is not there because of a 'vortex' the lines you see are lines of density due to resonances in all the stellar orbits. There's no cosmic washing machine at work.

Great, thanks. I didn’t know that. So how do we compute these resonances? And is there a simple equation giving the motion of an ideal cyclone? Is this covered in fluid dynamics?

I really don't know enough about Fluid Dynamics but there are dozens of google links to Cyclones - and also to density waves in galaxies. The two phenomena are very different and the spirals in some galaxies are visibly different in structure from the relatively simple shapes of weather system cyclones.
Happy reading.

1. What are spiral galaxies and cyclones?

Spiral galaxies are large, rotating systems of stars, gas, and dust that are held together by gravity. Cyclones are large, rotating storm systems that form in the Earth's atmosphere.

2. What are the similarities between spiral galaxies and cyclones?

Both spiral galaxies and cyclones are characterized by their distinct spiral shape and rotation. They also both have a central core or eye where the rotation is strongest.

3. How do scientists investigate the similarities between spiral galaxies and cyclones?

Scientists use various methods such as observations, computer simulations, and mathematical models to study the structure and behavior of both spiral galaxies and cyclones. They also analyze data from satellites and telescopes to gather more information.

4. What have scientists discovered about the similarities between spiral galaxies and cyclones?

Through their investigations, scientists have found that both spiral galaxies and cyclones follow similar laws of physics, such as the conservation of angular momentum. They also have similar patterns of gas and dust movement, and both are affected by external forces.

5. What implications do the similarities between spiral galaxies and cyclones have for our understanding of the universe?

The similarities between spiral galaxies and cyclones provide insights into the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of large-scale systems in the universe. It also highlights the interconnectedness and patterns that exist in nature, allowing us to better understand and predict the behavior of these systems.