Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vortex Panel Method

1. Jun 30, 2005 #1
    In the vortex panel method the following equation is used
    [tex]
    V_{freestream}sin \beta_i - \sum_{j=1}^n \displaystyle\frac{\lambda_i}{2\pi} \int \displaystyle\frac{d\theta_{ij}}{dn_i} ds_j = 0[/tex]

where n is the panel number, i is the control point at which the vortex strength is being calculated and j is the panel which is inducing some vortex at i, [tex]\lambda_i[/tex] is the vortex strength at i and

[tex] \theta_{ij} = \arctan{\displaystyle\frac{y_i-y_j}{x_i-x_j}}[/tex]

My question is what is the value of [tex]\theta_{ij}[/tex] when i = j?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2005 #2
    Does anyone know? What is the value of [tex]\theta_{ij}[/tex] when i = j?

For source panels I have read it is [tex]\frac{\lambda_i}{2}[/tex]. But I don't know what it is for vortex panels.

4. Jul 13, 2005 #3
    According to my reference, your original equation is incorrect. It should have cosBeta to the right of Vfreestream. Also, the subscript on lambda should be [j], not what your equation shows.

Both source panel and vortex panel methods are numerical methods for flows over arbitrary shapes. But because the source panel method has zero circulation it only applies to non-lifting cases. Vortex panel method can be used for lifting cases. The idea behind both methods is to treat the surface as if it were a streamline, i.e. a physical surface does not exist, it is replaced by a flow line. A source panel achieves this by balancing the dynamic pressure of the onrushing flow with an infinitesimal flow source on a surface, which exerts an outward pressure against it. Like air hockey. The table is a set of source panels balancing the weight per unit area of the puck. But try to imagine this system without the table (the table doesn't exist), just the sources. And the puck is the freestream airflow impinging on the source panels.

To answer your question, at least attempt to, these methods are numerical. To obtain a solution for i = j is the whole point of the method. The solution is physically the contribution of all the panels to the potential at the control point of the ith panel.

Just out of curiosity, what are you applying this method to?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2005
  5. Jul 13, 2005 #4
  6. Jul 13, 2005 #5

Ya, I realized that a few days after posting the question

To airfoils. To be more precise, I am trying to create a Java program to implement this method.
    Thank you for the reply.

7. Jul 13, 2005 #6
    Thank you for the links. The second one is very helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?