Vortex Tube Design: Info and Q&A

In summary, participants in this conversation discussed the concept of a vortex tube, which is a type of air cooler tube without any moving parts. They also shared a link for more information on vortex tubes and discussed the design considerations, materials, and noise control for these tubes. Additionally, they mentioned a forum where more information and help on designing a vortex chamber for a vortex tube can be obtained.
machinest
have anybody heared about the vortex tube?its an air cooler tube without any moving parts,and there is a link where u can get a little info about it
http://www.visi.com/~darus/hilsch/
my ques:
1-could the nozzle be straigh?(const cross section?
2-which materila i should use to design this tube?and the whole parts should be made from the same material?
anybody had info about this?-please let me know-
thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Vortex tubes are made by various companies here in the US. Thomas Register lists 17 manufacturers:
http://www.thomasnet.com/nsearch.html?cov=NA&what=Tubes:+Vortex&heading=88616701&navsec=prodsearch

1-could the nozzle be straigh?(const cross section?
What nozzle are you referring to? There's some geometry inside which creates a spin to the air. That has to be perpendicular to the hot/cold tubes since it must create this spinning affect inside the tube.

2-which materila i should use to design this tube?and the whole parts should be made from the same material?
Any material which is strong enough for the pressure involved is acceptable. You could get fairly cold air coming out so you must take that into consideration if using plastic. You could also make different parts from different materials, it doesn't matter.

I've never heard of these things before, and don't have time to investigate right now, but it sounds pretty neat. My only comment upon the issue of materials is that in areas of serious temperature changes or differentials, the fitted parts pretty much have to have similar thermal expansion characteristics. I don't know whether or not that applies here, because I have no idea how they work.

thank u both for ur care to help.
the nozzle in which u have to supply the air to get air jet to ensure to generate a strong vortex,when i looked in these graphs i didnt find a nozzle,they were talking about in their explanation in this link i left up,the nozzle have a variable cross section,this one its cross section is constant,i ask about could it be?could it generate the jet?.
and the material,shouldnt i choose one which wouldn't make a noise?
danger the vortex tube I am talking about in the link if u have time to look.
thanks in advance

The jet you're referring to is intended to increase the velocity of the gas in order to generate the vortex within the tube. It can be a very short, straight passage which comes off your supply piping, but it would be better if the inlet to the passage were well rounded to better convert pressure to kinetic energy.

Regarding noise, you won't hear much noise. Material considerations shouldn't take noise into account.

thank u Q_Goest
yes its short straight passage,but they called it an inlet nozzle.
u mean with rounded(variable cross section?)convergent or digergant nozzle u mean?to convert the pressure into kinetic energy?if yes,which one i should use?convergant?or divergant nozzle?
its depending on the flow inside i know if subsonic or supersonic,in my opinion i think i would choose a convergant nozzle.
they attached a muffler to the hot tube to reduce the noise,in fact i never heared about the muffler,how can i do or get it?
thanks again

You should only need a convergent nozzle. The divergent half of the nozzle won't help since as soon as the air gets into the swirling chamber, it will go subsonic, creating a shock at the nozzle exit.

Regarding a muffler, you can get them from http://www.mcmaster.com/"(just type in "muffler") for about $10, or you can make your own using fiberglass batting and punching some holes in your pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank u dear,
im going to do it,what about aluminuim?as a material?its available for me,also easy to be machined,or PVC would better?--and one more question please-should i insulate the tube?or not?whats the difference?and which material should i use as insualtion?

machinest said:
danger the vortex tube I am talking about in the link if u have time to look.
The link wasn't accessible the first time around. At a quick glance now, it appears to be very interesting. Unfortunately, I've had a lot of beers and the wife is agitating for me to get off of the computer. The one computer at work that was hooked up to the net is in the shop, so I'll try to take a look before work tomorrow, or will definitely check it out when I get home after.

Aluminum is fine. I wouldn't recommend PVC unless you know how to calculate stress and affects of temperature.

I've not seen any vortex tubes insulated, because they are generally very short. Unless you need to pipe the cold air some distance, I wouldn't worry about the insulation.

Okay, Machinest, I've had a chance to look it over. What a neat little gadget! Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I would agree that aluminum is a good choice of material. I know from personal experience that high-speed air can be very loud, but I don't know that one of these things would need muffling. Since Q obviously has more knowledge in the subject, I assume that he's correct about this not making much noise.

there is a forum on www.smartgroups.com about vortex tubes ...join there and get help from many guys there...i was a member ...i will give one mail id if u want...he knows a lot about this thing

ok-rocky-thank u -
ive registered that forum,but i couldn't get into mechanical engineering group there,anyway-give me the mail id of ur friend and I am going to contact him
thanks again

vortex tube

how to design the vortex chamber of vortex tube.?
what is the cross section of vortex chamber?
jprabakaran

how to design the vortex chamber of vortex tube?

Vortex tube has been around for quite sometime, apparently saw most use during WWII in Germany. It's not particularly efficient but does work.
You do require a regulating valve on the hot end, a needle valve works quite well.
"Modern Refrigeration and Air Conditioning" has some good info on them.

can some one who has got a vortex tube open the parts and make a drawing and a mail it to caddpro@hotmail.com

can some one who has got a vortex tube open the parts and make a drawing and a mail it to caddpro@hotmail.com

jprabu said:
jprabakaran

mail me
jprabakaran2002@yahoo.com

Last edited:
Vortex Tubes have been improved since that drawing. Not sure of what nozzle you are talking about. They can be made of aluminum or stainless steel. Most companies make them of stainless steel...which will last longer. They are efficient. Compressed air being expensive is an old idea as well...technology has changed a lot of things! There are a few companies making these devices...I buy mine through a small company in Arizona. Arizona Vortex Tube. I have them set up on all my cnc machines. That's all. wanted to give my 2 cents!

Not to start a argument here, but your statement
engineered2 said:
Compressed air being expensive is an old idea as well
is very debateable. Compressed air on an industrial scale is a very real and very large portion of a company's operating costs. It is by no means insignificant. If you're talking just a few drops for shop air, then you are more correct in that small, inexpensive compressors are more prevalent today.

particle appliaction of these
Lot of the hot dogs experimented with vortex tubes mounted to the strakes ( upright walls) in the disfusser ( undertray continuation of the bellypan in form of upside down wing) a few years back..vortex generators at the very end of the disfusser just prior to exiting into outside air did create less drag and more downforce..with limited results..the tubes were fiberglass and created vortexes
lot of other tyeps of vortex generators..dimples...diamonds at various high pressure areas
just my 2 cents

how we design nozzle block,nozzle,orifice plate,and pipes?

One of many websites:cool:

http://www.airtxinternational.com/how_vortex_tubes_work.php [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a vortex tube and how does it work?

A vortex tube is a device that separates compressed air into hot and cold streams without the need for any moving parts. It works by creating a vortex motion in the compressed air, which causes it to split into two streams with different temperatures.

2. What are the main factors that affect the performance of a vortex tube?

The main factors that affect the performance of a vortex tube include the ratio of hot to cold air flow, the inlet pressure, and the temperature of the compressed air. Additionally, the design of the vortex tube, such as the size and shape of the nozzle, can also have an impact on its performance.

3. How do I select the right vortex tube for my application?

The selection of a vortex tube depends on the specific requirements of your application, such as the desired temperature difference between the hot and cold streams, the required flow rates, and the available compressed air pressure. It is important to consult with a reputable manufacturer or expert to determine the best vortex tube for your needs.

4. Are there any limitations to using a vortex tube?

While vortex tubes offer a simple and efficient way to generate hot and cold air streams, there are some limitations to their use. For example, they are not suitable for use in high-pressure applications, and the temperature difference between the hot and cold streams may not be sufficient for certain industrial processes.

5. Can a vortex tube be used for other gases besides compressed air?

Yes, vortex tubes can be used with other gases such as nitrogen or carbon dioxide. However, the performance may differ depending on the gas used and may require adjustments to the design of the vortex tube. It is important to consult with a manufacturer or expert when using gases other than compressed air.