Vorticity where angular velocity is function of r

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the velocity field and vorticity distribution in three different cases. The problem asks for the velocity components to be given by (u_x,u_y,u_z) = (-\Omega(r), \Omega(r), 0), but this statement is incorrect as velocities have dimensions of angular velocity. The speaker proceeds to solve for the vorticity in each case, assuming u_z = 0 and u_r = 0. The resulting solutions are: a) w = q/r, b) w = 0, c) w = k_2/2r^(3/2). The speaker is unsure if their solutions are correct.
catboy
I am given, in each of three cases, an angular velocity [tex]\Omega(r)[/tex] and am told to assume no axial (z) velocity i.e., [tex]u_z = 0[/tex]. I am asked to

(1) find the velocity field in cartesian coordinates
(2) find the vorticity distribution in threee cases.

(1) As setup, the problem asks me to "Show the velocity components are given by [tex](u_x,u_y,u_z) = (-\Omega(r), \Omega(r), 0)[/tex]".

This doesn't seem possible to me...how can both x and y components of the velocity field be the same? I keep coming up with the like of, for a given r:

[tex]u_x = - r * \Omega(r) * \sin(\theta)[/tex]​
[tex]u_x = r * \Omega(r) * \cos(\theta)[/tex]​
where [tex]\theta = \Omega(r) * t;
[/tex]
Nevertheless, the supplied answer to (1) is [tex](u_x, u_y, u_z) = (-\Omega(r), \Omega(r), 0)[/tex] and it seems to contradict my later assertion that (in cyl coords) [tex]u_r = 0[/tex].

For (2), I am asked to find the vorticity in three cases:

a) [tex]\Omega = q/r[/tex] (typ. flow around strong concentrated vortex)

b) [tex]\Omega r^2 = constant = k [/tex](fluid parcels slowly spiraling towards origin while conserving angular momentum)

c) [tex]\Omega^2 r = G*M/r^2[/tex] (velocity distribution inside accretion disk in black hole or neutron star)

So, I chose to ignore the bogus part (1) and solve in cyl coord where [tex]v = (u_r, u_{\theta}, u_z)[/tex]. For all three cases I assumed that [tex]u_z = 0[/tex] (given) and [tex]u_r = 0[/tex] ("flow is the form a circular 'swirl' about the origin in the x-y plane"). (If [tex]u_r[/tex] is not zero, I haven't a clue as to how to come up with a u_r...)

Then, blithely proceeding:

* In cyl. coor, [tex]u_{\theta} = r * \Omega(r)[/tex], where [tex]\Omega(r) =[/tex] angular velocity.
* Then, vorticity [tex]w = \nabla \times v[/tex] is [tex]w_z[/tex] only and reduces to
[tex]w_z = \frac {1} {r} \frac {d} {dr} (r * u_{\theta}) = \frac {1} {r} \frac {d} {dr}(r * r * \Omega(r))[/tex]

Using this approach I get,

a) [tex]\Omega(r) = q/r[/tex] gives [tex]w = \frac {1} {r} \frac {d} {dr}(r * r * q/r) = \frac {1} {r} \frac {d} {dr}(r*q) = q/r[/tex]
b) [tex]\Omega r^2 = k \Rightarrow \Omega(r) = k/ r^2 \Rightarrow
w = \frac {1} {r} \frac {d} {dr}(r * r * k / r^2) = \frac {1} {r} \frac {d} {dr}(k) = 0[/tex]
c) [tex]\Omega^2 r = G*M/r^2 \Rightarrow \Omega(r) = \frac {k_2} {r^{3/2}} \Rightarrow w = \frac {1} {r} \frac {d} {dr}(r * r * \frac {k_2} {r^{3/2}}) = \frac {k_2} {r} \frac {d} {dr}(r^{1/2}) = \frac {k_2} {2} r^{-3/2}[/tex]

Am I even close here?

Confused in Seattle,

/catboy

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
catboy said:
(1) As setup, the problem asks me to "Show the velocity components are given by [tex](u_x,u_y,u_z) = (-\Omega(r), \Omega(r), 0)[/tex]".

I'm not checked your solution, but the statement of your book (see the quoting) is wrong. That velocities haven't got dimensions of speed (they have dimensions of angular velocity). So I wouldn't pay much attention at that solution the book provides you.

Desconfusing in Madrid. :biggrin:

1. What is vorticity?

Vorticity is a measure of the tendency of a fluid element to rotate about a point. It is a vector quantity that describes the local spinning motion of a fluid at a given point.

2. What is the relationship between vorticity and angular velocity?

Vorticity and angular velocity are related, but they are not the same. Vorticity is the curl of the velocity field, while angular velocity is the rate of change of the angle of rotation of a body. In other words, vorticity describes the local spinning motion of a fluid, while angular velocity describes the overall rotation of a body.

3. How is vorticity calculated?

Vorticity is calculated by taking the curl of the velocity field. This involves taking the partial derivatives of the velocity components with respect to each spatial coordinate and then taking the cross product of these derivatives.

4. What does it mean when angular velocity is a function of r?

In this case, it means that the angular velocity of the fluid varies as a function of the distance from a central point. This is common in rotational flows, where the velocity is highest at the center and decreases as you move away from the center.

5. What are some applications of vorticity where angular velocity is a function of r?

Vorticity plays a key role in many fluid dynamics applications, such as weather forecasting, ocean currents, and aerodynamics. In cases where angular velocity is a function of r, vorticity is particularly important in understanding the flow patterns and predicting the behavior of the fluid. Some examples of these applications include the study of hurricanes, tornadoes, and the flow around aircraft wings.