VOTE - Lighthouse

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
In summary: It was different and unique, and showed the lighthouse in a different perspective. The dark and stormy weather added to the mood and functionality of the lighthouse. Overall, it was a tough decision as all the pictures were great in their own way. In summary, the conversation revolved around voting for the best picture that represents the theme of a lighthouse. Participants shared their thoughts and opinions on each photo, with some focusing on the functionality of the lighthouse and others on the setting and mood. The majority voted for Integral's photo, which captured the dramatic setting and austere solitude of the lighthouse. Janus' unique perspective and stormy weather also received recognition, but ultimately it was a tough decision for everyone

VOTE - Lighthouse

• Integral

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • hypatia

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • larkspur

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Janus

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • ZapperZ

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • GeoMike

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
It was a small number of entries this time, but not lacking in quality, I'm sure.

Please vote for the picture that represents our theme the best. The main subject of that picture has to be a lighthouse.

1. Integral
http://home.comcast.net/~integral50/scenery/Hectahead.JPG [Broken]

2. hypatia
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j269/hypatia3811/towerfrombanner.jpg [Broken]

3. larkspur
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/6391/lighthousefk4.jpg [Broken]

4. Janus
yaquina.jpg

5. ZapperZ
DCP_0288.jpg

6. GeoMike
http://www.mcschell.com/lhouse.jpg [Broken]

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=143033"

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I went with Zz for the overall feel of his pic.

Lighthouses in nice weather??
NO!
I think Integral's photo best captures the dramatic setting of the light-house, along with a sense of austere solitude

Had to go with integral, but of course as usual they were all great, good job everyone.

Janus has mine for his different...er... perspective :wink:

All nice pictures of lighthouses for sure. But when considering functionality the winning picture should have been a operative light house in the dark and bad weather, showing their real functionality.

Darn, I'm not in Holland or I would have shot some light houses, but anyway.

Integral came closest to depicting the functionality. nice pic.

Andre said:
All nice pictures of lighthouses for sure. But when considering functionality the winning picture should have been a operative light house in the dark and bad weather, showing their real functionality.

Darn, I'm not in Holland or I would have shot some light houses, but anyway.

Integral came closest to depicting the functionality. nice pic.
I have just made reservations to stay in the Bed and Breakfast which originally was the lightkeepers house. It is just off the right edge of my pic.

If the weather gods be with us I will get a closer pic with some action. Ideal weather would be a beautiful sunny day :rofl: for the 2hr drive, then 1 hour after we check in... a raging Pacific storm with a minimum of 50MPH gusts and 50' breakers on the rocks!

oooooh this is a tough one...! I think I will go for ZZ the blue sky just captured me.

Integrals is a neat shot too.
Hypatia has a good one...
:cry: Oh! I still can't decide:mad:

I feel the pictures are generally a bit weak. I would go with either integral or geomike... when I think lighthouse, I expect to see a solitude of civilization hard against the expanse of the violent sea.

EDIT: I see everyone else agrees with me :)

I went with Janus for his unique perspective.

Please vote for the picture that represents our theme the best.

What theme?

Read the next sentence
The main subject of that picture has to be a lighthouse.

or the title
VOTE - Lighthouse

Or the heading of the poll
VOTE - Lighthouse

It's a bit tough, but I think they buried the theme in there somewhere

It didn't seem to imply that the lighthouse was the theme. I took it to mean the theme of this site, Physics Forums. (this was before I asked what the theme was)

I chose picture 3. I thought the majority of the picture shows murky wilderness which represents the average Joe who basically lives in ignorance, whereas the lighthouse is a beacon which represents those excellent few who are not satisfied with the mundane. Those are the people who visit physics forums, and although for some the lighthouse may not have stood out in that picture, for me it is the focal point, elegant manmade structure dominating murky nature.

I went with Integral for the same reason a arildno.

-GeoMike-

I liked Janus'

1. What is the purpose of the "VOTE - Lighthouse" project?

The purpose of the "VOTE - Lighthouse" project is to create a secure and transparent online voting system using blockchain technology. The goal is to improve the integrity and accessibility of voting processes.

2. How does "VOTE - Lighthouse" use blockchain technology?

"VOTE - Lighthouse" uses blockchain technology to create a decentralized and tamper-proof ledger of all voting activities. This ensures that votes cannot be altered or manipulated, providing a more secure and transparent voting process.

3. Is "VOTE - Lighthouse" accessible to all voters?

Yes, "VOTE - Lighthouse" is designed to be accessible to all voters, regardless of their location or technical knowledge. The platform is user-friendly and can be accessed through any internet-connected device.

4. How does "VOTE - Lighthouse" ensure the anonymity of voters?

"VOTE - Lighthouse" uses a combination of encryption and pseudo-anonymity techniques to protect the identity of voters. Each vote is encrypted and stored on the blockchain, making it virtually impossible to trace back to an individual voter.

5. Can the results of "VOTE - Lighthouse" be audited?

Yes, "VOTE - Lighthouse" allows for real-time auditing of the voting results by any interested party. The use of blockchain technology ensures that the results are transparent and cannot be altered after they have been recorded.