VOTE PF Favorite Movies Poll 1 - Drama, Thriller & Action

In summary, the polls allow members to vote for different movies than the ones they nominated, and the result of the poll will not be visible until after the voting period.

Which are your 5 favorite movies of these?

• 12 Angry Men (1957)

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Alexander Nevsky (1938)

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Apocalypse Now (1979)

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Casablanca (1942)

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Empire of the Sun (1987)

• Hamlet (1948)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Harold and Maude (1971)

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Jaws (1975)

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Jean de Florette (1986)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Jules and Jim (1962)

• North by Northwest (1959)

• On the Waterfront (1954)

• Pulp Fiction (1994)

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • Seven Samurai (1954)

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • The African Queen (1951)

• The Godfather (1972)

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • The Maltese Falcon (1941)

• The Sting (1973)

• The Third Man (1949)

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
DennisN
Gold Member
2023 Award
49118285872_edc9f32cf9_o.jpg

Welcome to the Physics Forums favorite movies poll 1!
(the second poll is here)

Rules and notes:
  • Please vote here for your 5 favorite movies in the categories Drama, Thriller & Action.
  • Please note that this is a multiple votes poll, and that your votes should reflect the movies you like the most.
  • The movie posters are posted below to help with your memory.
  • You are allowed to change your vote at any time during the voting period, which is two weeks (14 days).
  • The result of the poll will not be visible until after the voting period, because I want to avoid anyone doing a quantum finish.

(Background: During the last weeks 14 members have nominated 20 of their favorite movies
in this thread. The movies in this poll are 20 of the movies that got more than one nomination.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Posters:

49118094031_4b811f2fdc_o.jpg

Likes Klystron
There's only two movies there I would put in my top 40. So I only cast 2 votes. :sorry:

Likes russ_watters
DaveC426913 said:
There's only two movies there I would put in my top 40. So I only cast 2 votes.
The polls allow you to change your votes if you like. The idea is to select which five movies are your favorites among the listed movies, not which movies are on your personal top list.

I don't like the way you've broken up the polls. I would cast 8 votes for titles in poll #1 and only 2 for #2.

Likes DennisN
marcusl said:
I don't like the way you've broken up the polls. I would cast 8 votes for titles in poll #1 and only 2 for #2.
Similar to my concern. Alas, he has little choice. It's a limitation of the polling feature.
He could break them up differently, but he has to break them up. And it's going to disappoint someone.

Likes Klystron, DennisN and BillTre
DaveC426913 said:
There's only two movies there I would put in my top 40. So I only cast 2 votes. :sorry:
I had to reach a bit to fill it.

And coincidentally a few weeks ago I tried to watch Seven Samauri and I couldn't get through it. It was terrible.

Likes DennisN and Bystander
marcusl said:
I understand. That was one of my concerns when I split the polls:

DaveC426913 said:
Similar to my concern. Alas, he has little choice. It's a limitation of the polling feature.
He could break them up differently, but he has to break them up. And it's going to disappoint someone.
I thought of different ways, like splitting them alphabetically, splitting them with respect to release year, but the problem would still remain: the result of the two polls can't be directly compared, since the movie selections are different. Splitting them into genres at least allows members to vote within genres.

Ok, we’ll deal.

Likes DennisN
I want to vote for six or seven.

Ah I know. I have taken part in selection committees, various roles. First reading it was not too difficult to eliminate 10%. Maybe another 5 or 10% outstanding. But all the rest pretty good, well fairly good.Read more carefully the next day. and may be the next. In a night or two they would begin to sediment. Some faster than others. I'll wait a couple of days.

Likes DennisN
Ok, fellows, this poll has soon been open for a week.
It will be open for 9 more days, so please vote soon if you haven't yet!

Ok fellows, now I have cast my votes and this made me see the current result, probably because I'm the OP.
I can tell you it is pretty interesting, e.g. there are particularly two movies* in this poll that are clear favorites on PF.

If you haven't voted yet, please do so now.
The poll will be open for two more days.
This poll will close: Dec 8, 2019 at 10:33 PM.

(* and both of the movies was actually on my personal 20 favorites list too)

Edit: I also hope that the PF founder @Greg Bernhardt want to participate in this historically important and epically awesome poll :biggrin:, along with @Borek, @ZapperZ and the other demigods of PF. :smile:

Because, this poll will determine the future for the World!

It will solve the problem of global warming. It will bring peace to every corner of our large world.
And it is the cure to cancer and AIDS.

It will tell us what dark matter really is. It will unveil the mysteries of dark energy.
And it will also provide a solution to how to combine quantum mechanics with general relativity.

But most important of all:

This poll will be the nail in the coffin of String Theory, making the string landscaped multiverse disappear in a poof of 10 dimensional embarrassment;
Poll result said:
One Universe to rule them all, One Universe to find them, One Universe to bring them all and in the spacetime bind them. In the Land of Einstein where relativity lie.

Last edited:
After a week's sedimentation the separations were not very marked.
We were not given any criteria so we can decide our own.
Twelve Angry Men imposed itself on me for its moral message. Other films maybe had moral messages but they are also more complex, 12AM seemed simple and close to civic and political values that are not universal or totally safe that we should hold dear.

And then three won out agains stiff competition because of - the music. Hamlet (1948), Alexander Nevsky...

But one most particularly.
Let this jog your memory:

If you were in Britain the year this film appeared, filmgoer or not (not that many weren't back then) you could not before unaware of it, it was heard everywhere, people never tired of it.

The whole thing struck a nerve, what it represented at the time to the generations like my parents who took me out of town to the county capital to see it before it arrived more locally, the symbolisms, atmospheres... are themes I perhaps fortunately do not have time for the moment. But that film particularly, has been more than just a film.

Likes DennisN
This is the final day to participate in this epic poll!

Currently 23 voters have participated, and I want to thank everyone who have voted!

There are currently two movies which are clear favorites on PF (13 and 11 votes), followed by another two movies which are very liked too (9 votes each).

Some hints:

A quote from the movie that is in the lead: "What was briefly yours is now mine."
And a quote from the 2nd most popular movie: "I never make plans that far ahead. "

Last edited:
DennisN said:
"What was briefly yours is now mine."
Really, IJaRotLA?

• Love
Likes DennisN
Bystander said:
Really, IJaRotLA?
Yes, that is correct!

Ladies and gentlemen, the poll is now closed, and we have a winner!

The most popular movie in the genres Drama, Thriller & Action is a classic adventure movie from 1981:

Raiders of the Lost Ark (13 votes)

Trailer:
It was closely followed by Casablanca (11 votes), Seven Samurai (9 votes) and The Godfather (9 votes).

Here is the result of the poll, sorted by votes (popularity):

Votes Movie

13 Raiders of the Lost Ark
11 Casablanca
9 Seven Samurai
9 The Godfather
7 Pulp Fiction
6 Jaws
5 12 Angry Men
5 Apocalypse Now
5 North by Northwest
5 The African Queen
4 The Maltese Falcon
4 The Third Man
3 Harold and Maude
3 The Sting
2 Alexander Nevsky
2 Empire of the Sun
2 Jules and Jim
2 On the Waterfront
1 Hamlet
1 Jean de Florette

I will let the result sink in for a week, and to relieve us of the dangerous condition MPF (movie poll fatigue). :smile:

After that I will take the 10 most popular movies from the two different genre polls and start the final poll in which we vote for the 20 most popular movies on PF (which thus will be of every genre).
(originally suggested by @Evo and @BillTre)
Cheers!

Last edited:
Likes OmCheeto
And in the final poll we will vote on the following 20 most popular and very fine movies, the creme de la creme: :kiss:
  • 12 Angry Men
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey
  • Alien
  • Apocalypse Now
  • Blade Runner
  • Casablanca
  • Dr. Strangelove
  • Jaws
  • Life of Brian
  • North by Northwest
  • Pulp Fiction
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark
  • Seven Samurai
  • Star Wars IV: A New Hope
  • The African Queen
  • The Godfather
  • The Fifth Element
  • The Princess Bride
  • The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
  • Young Frankenstein
And I think the final poll will be brutal and interesting, since these movies are so popular among members on Physics Forums! :smile:

DennisN said:
And in the final poll we will vote on the following 20 most popular and very fine movies
I decided to delay the final poll in order to get as many of us the time to recover from MPF (movie poll fatigue).

Maybe I'll start the final poll after Christmas or after New Year, I'm not really sure at the moment.
In the meantime, I wish you all a Merry Christmas, and I hope you get a chance to see some good movies during the holidays! :smile:

Likes collinsmark, Bystander and BillTre

1. What is the purpose of the "VOTE PF Favorite Movies Poll 1 - Drama, Thriller & Action"?

The purpose of this poll is to gather data and opinions from the public about their favorite movies in the drama, thriller, and action genres. This information can be used to analyze trends and preferences within these genres.

2. How were the movies included in this poll selected?

The movies included in this poll were selected based on their popularity and critical acclaim within the drama, thriller, and action genres. A team of experts also curated the list to ensure a diverse representation of movies from different time periods and styles.

3. Can anyone participate in this poll?

Yes, anyone can participate in this poll as long as they have access to the online platform where the poll is being hosted. There are no restrictions based on age, location, or any other factors.

4. How will the results of this poll be used?

The results of this poll will be used to create a list of the top favorite movies in each genre, as voted by the public. This list can be used for personal recommendations and also for research purposes to understand trends and preferences in the movie industry.

5. Is this poll affiliated with any specific production companies or studios?

No, this poll is not affiliated with any specific production companies or studios. It is an independent poll created for research and entertainment purposes only.