Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

VOTE PF Photo Contest - Ain't No Valley Low Enough

1. Janus

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  2. larkspur

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. physarrista

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  4. Monique

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. ZapperZ

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  6. matthyaouw

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  7. hypnagogue

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  8. Astronuc

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. Apr 14, 2007 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This could possibly be the most difficult contest we have so far. Every picture is a winner.

Please vote for the picture that best represents our theme, which is a valley.

1. Janus
    [​IMG]

2. larkspur
    [​IMG]

3. physarrista
    [​IMG]

4. Monique
    [​IMG]

5. ZapperZ
    [​IMG]

6. matthyaouw
    [​IMG]

7. hypnagogue
    [​IMG]

8. Astronuc
    [​IMG]

Contest thread

Zz.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2007 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Geeze, I can't decide, they're all beautiful!!!

4. Apr 14, 2007 #3

turbo

Gold Member

I had to go with physarrista, though it was very hard to choose. What won out in the end was thinking of standing in that stream over that sheer drop. Lots of beautiful shots this time, so it took a little extra something to tip the scales.

5. Apr 14, 2007 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

enie, menie, minie, mo...............

You guys are still killin' me hear, more coffee and asprin.........

6. Apr 14, 2007 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, geez, they're all absolutely gorgeous and perfect! Since I can't decide based on view, composition, skill, or fit with the theme, because they all qualifty, my vote is going to physarrista for bravery. Going the extra distance and putting one's life on the line to get the perfect shot should qualify for something, and in this case, it qualifies for my vote.

7. Apr 14, 2007 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

OK, next time I'm going to make up a story that I took a picture while running in high heels on the edge of a cliff and being chased by a pack of wolves.

:)

Zz.

8. Apr 14, 2007 #7

Astronuc

Yes - indeed! :approve:

It seems they all do that. :rolleyes:

I've been to the same spot as Janus, and I probably have somewhere a nearly identical photograph along the Yosemite valley.

9. Apr 14, 2007 #8
    This is ridiculous I can't choose. I must go think.

10. Apr 14, 2007 #9

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Would've it helped if I had told you that this picture was taken during the first long road trip we took with my daughter? She was about 20 mo. old at the time, and to keep her entertained I made a tape of songs from a Sesame Street video. That tape played almost constantly the whole trip. I don't know how many times I heard C is For Cookie!

Not exactly putting one's life on the line, but...

11. Apr 14, 2007 #10
    I went with hypnagogue because the rock colour is truly outstanding and that lone person standing atop the rocks truly gives a sense of proportion that gets lost without a comparative. Not to say that the rest of the photos aren't spectacular, because they truly are. It was a tough decision.

12. Apr 15, 2007 #11

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Janus had me at hello....hello.....hello.....

(get it?)

13. Apr 15, 2007 #12
    Someone put me at gunpoint, and then I'll choose a picture.:grumpy:

Why do you guys make it so tough? I wish political elections were like this.

14. Apr 15, 2007 #13
    Astronuc's picture is not showing up for me, so I will wait until it shows up, but this will probably only make the decision harder.

15. Apr 15, 2007 #14
    Astronucs isn't showing up for me either. I still can't decide.

16. Apr 15, 2007 #15
    Nothing new there; just another amazing picture. :biggrin:

17. Apr 17, 2007 #16

Astronuc

Mine seems to be showing up now. I think there was a glitch in the imageshack server. I won't feel bad if mine doesn't get a vote - really. :smile:

I just wanted to round it out and match hypnagogue's picture from Bryce Canyon, which is near Zion NP.

They are all great photos and wonderful places to see in person. :approve:

I voted for physsarista's photo - but it was an excruciating decision. :cry:

I'm still wondering where that is - near Grenoble or the Swiss border. I definitely want to visit that place, as well as those that I have not seen in person yet.

18. Apr 17, 2007 #17

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This is a reminder that you have less than 2 days left to vote in this difficult contest. It is extremely tight right now, so every vote counts!

Zz.

19. Apr 17, 2007 #18
    I went with Hypnagogue but it was nearly an impossible decision.

20. Apr 17, 2007 #19

Evo

I went with Zz because of the colors and the lush green valley. Hypnagogue would get my vote for cliffs, that is a stunning picture.

Funny, when Janus posted, I said "that's going to get my vote!" Then when I saw Monique's I said "that's going to get my vote!" Then Zz posted...

21. Apr 17, 2007 #20
    Janus where is your picture taken, it looks like its from the same place as the one from the mountain contest? It looks like the type of place I would like to eventually visit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?