Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

VOTE PF Photo Contest - Bleak Winter

VOTE PF Photo Contest - Bleak Winter

Poll closed Jan 22, 2016.
  1. ZapperZ

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. epenguin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Evo

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Jan 16, 2016 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Not that many photos for this contest. Maybe a lot of people are not having any bleak winter.

1. ZapperZ
    i115.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fn320%2Fzapperz%2FPF%2520Photo%2520Contest%2FIMG_0470_zpsforazqo2.jpg

2. epenguin
    proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi64.tinypic.com%2F2555hes.jpg

3. Evo
    proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fimagizer.imageshack.us%2Fa%2Fimg903%2F2473%2FwbckOJ.jpg

Contest thread

Zz.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2016 #2
    What stands out for me on the Zapper photo is the blue object. If it was photo-shopped I would be much disappointed.

4. Jan 16, 2016 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I would be too, not in the photo, but with myself, because the contest rules do not allow such photo modification, and I'm the one running the contest.

That is the top of an LED solar light. The blue thing is a glass fixture that enclosed the LED lights. The picture was taken outside of my front door during a blizzard. About 2 feet of the solar light's stem was buried under the snow already.

Zz.

5. Jan 16, 2016 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

6. Jan 21, 2016 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Final few hours to vote for this contest.

Zz.

7. Jan 22, 2016 #6

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

omnes: we've heard where two of the photos are, near peoples homes, but not epenguin's.
    epenguin: I thought you'd never ask. She would not have seen it, but the high bare tree here is 10 or 20 m from the house where Joan of Arc was born. Not grand but not a hovel, a brick and stone building, property of a family of some local standing in the 15th century. Domrémy is still a small village,(she had her visions in fields a few miles away) still feeling a long way from anywhere (by European standards). It felt bleak and grey in December, and mistletoe, which seemed to be on nearly all the trees of the region symbolises winter - but also hope and fertility. I just thought you might like to know. :oldsmile:

8. Jan 22, 2016 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I always like your pictures epenquin, the story behind it is great, but I had to vote for Zz for bleak, that blue glass against the grey really was a great contrast. I think we should share the story behind the picture when possible.

9. Jan 22, 2016 #8
    I liked all three photos :smile:.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook