Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

VOTE PF Photo Contest - Food and Wine

VOTE PF Photo Contest - Food and Win

Poll closed Sep 27, 2007.
  1. alex_caps

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. turbo-1

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. matthyaouw

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. hypnagogue

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  5. dontdisturbmycircles

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  6. robphy

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. Sep 22, 2007 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

A small but strong number of entries. This time, your vote is very important in determining who will win the Elton Brown DVD set, so every vote counts! Please vote for the best picture that represents our theme, which is on Food and/or Wine.

1. alex_caps
    [​IMG]

2. turbo-1
    [​IMG]

3. matthyaouw
    [​IMG]

4. hypnagogue
    [​IMG]

5. dontdisturbmycircles
    [​IMG]

6. robphy
    [​IMG]

Contest thread

Good luck to everyone!

Zz.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2007 #2
    had to go with hypnagogue! picture of the year! his picture made me laugh out loud :rofl: the pretzel makes it.

4. Sep 22, 2007 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is a philosopher's breakfast. They are on the menu at Dennys. :biggrin:

I had to go with DDMC - the life of a student. It actually makes me miss being a student a bit, which hasn't happened in a long time.

But where is the coffee cup?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  5. Sep 22, 2007 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

turbo-1: it reminded me of my moms' pantry when I was a kid......

6. Sep 23, 2007 #5
    Ahh, it's so hard not to vote for myself when free DVD's are on the line! Had to go with hypnagogue though, I admire the humour.

Ivan : Thanks, as for the coffee, I think that picture was taken around 6pm (Yes I eat cereal at 6pm...) and I have 8:00am classes on most days. I have already made the mistake of an evening coffee once this semester and I aint doing it again! (Hopefully anyway.)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  7. Sep 23, 2007 #6

turbo

Gold Member

OK, I voted for my own picture. Every little jar up there represents months of gardening, tending, weeding, etc. Nothing feels as good as getting to the harvest with a decent crop and being able to pickle, can, freeze or store (root cellar) that food. Every week, I put up at least one batch of salsa (8-10 pints) and my wife and I tag-team them on the weekend and maybe get another batch of salsa and another little batch of chili relish in the jars. I have done this since I was 5 years old or so (50 years ago) starting with seeding, weeding, harvesting, and sliding right into processing, slicing, chopping, canning. (with all that implies). Like Dr Transport, whenever this season comes around, I think of my mother (gone over 25 years) and my grandmother (WAY before!). It's neat to look at food that you've put up, and think "next year are we going to try to remember what we did with XYZ?". I've been trying to get back to the soil for over 30 years. It's sweet! I think I've got a neighbor will weld me up a boat-rack to bolt on the back of my truck, but I might have to keep him happy with salsas. We'll have to see....

8. Sep 23, 2007 #7
    Gotta go with Turbo, reminds me of my parents cupboards. My mom just finished her salsa's and jam and whatnot canning so I am expecting a nice box full of it next time I see them. Can't wait!

9. Sep 23, 2007 #8
    good job DDMC, your picture wins in my book.

10. Sep 23, 2007 #9

turbo

Gold Member

Hope you get some HOT green tomato salsa and maybe some hot pepper relish when you go home. It really sucks to pay for a jar of "hot" salsa to find out that you've paid for a jar of bland crap. Home-made is so much better.

11. Sep 23, 2007 #10
    No she decided not to make the green tomato kind :( So I guess I don't get to try it out. Doesn't make it very hot either as I am the only one in my family who likes nice hot food. But it still tastes absolutely heavenly.....on chips, in spaghetti, fajitas...pretty much everything. But I do get some saskatoon jam to and crabapple jelly. Homemade food is the best....my grandma sent me some homemade perogies awhile ago....TO DIE FOR!

12. Sep 23, 2007 #11
    Thanksgiving is in just two weeks so I will definitely be coming home with quite a supply! I hope so anyway haha.

13. Sep 23, 2007 #12

turbo

Gold Member

Maybe you can convert the family..."The heat" of the salsas and the tang of spiciest pickles are best enjoyed as accents to other foods. It would be hard to make a meal out of spicy dill pickles with hot peppers (see picture), but it's easy to load 2-3 slices on your plate with a cheeseburger, hot dog, etc.

14. Sep 24, 2007 #13

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Tough choice, but I had to go with turbo's cupboard of picante condiments.

Alton Brown is OK, I'm more of Graham Kerr (Galloping Gourmet) or Julia Child person myself. I used to watch Kerr along time ago. :biggrin: Julia was a great chef, but her high-pitched voice was a bit irritating.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  15. Sep 25, 2007 #14

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You have 2 days left to vote in this contest and select a winner to win the Elton Brown DVD set.

Zz.

16. Sep 27, 2007 #15

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oooh... a tie!
    In fact, two ties!:wink:

17. Sep 27, 2007 #16

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Yeah. And unfortunately, this time, I have to cast the tie-breaking vote for first place. I hate that you people made me have to choose which of the pictures to get first prize! I still haven't made up my mind!

Zz.

18. Sep 27, 2007 #17

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I missed this thread. You might not have had to cast a deciding vote had I seen it earlier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?