Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

VOTE PF Photo Contest - Orange (Group 1)

VOTE PF Photo Contest - Orange (Group 1)

Poll closed Nov 15, 2007.
  1. Andre

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  2. Moonbear

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. ~christina~

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. alex_caps

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  5. Chi Meson

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  6. turbo-1

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  7. larkspur

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Nov 10, 2007 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Amazing pictures, everyone!

Due to the large number of entries, there will be 3 voting threads for this contest. Please vote once in EACH voting thread.

Since there can be many ways to interpret the theme, please make sure you keep in mind the theme and vote for the one that clearly resonates with you as being the best picture that represents the theme - ORANGE.

1. Andre
    [​IMG]

2. Moonbear
    [​IMG]

3. ~christina~
    [​IMG]

4. alex_caps
    [​IMG]

5. Chi Meson
    [​IMG]

6. turbo-1
    [​IMG]

7. larkspur
    [​IMG]

Contest thread.

Zz.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2007 #2

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Tough one between Chi, Turbo and Larkspur, but I went with Chi just because the subject amuses me.

4. Nov 10, 2007 #3
    Nice pics everyone! I went with Turbo.

5. Nov 10, 2007 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This was a tough choice. I'm going with ChiMeson. It was just the most striking subject (and humorous too). Though, larkspur's mutant cotton swab was incredibly clever and fun too. And I'm still trying to figure out how anyone can find a deer when the deer can see you coming for miles in that blazing orange get-up. :rofl: That definitely fit the orange them well too.

6. Nov 10, 2007 #5

turbo

Gold Member

They are color-blind and can only sense the luminance of the hunting clothes - although that alone might make me look pretty white in their monochrome world.

7. Nov 10, 2007 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was just joking about that. But, it did just occur to me that hunting season begins in the fall, while the leaves on the trees are pretty orange too. Does orange really help one stand out against orange leaves? Once the leaves have dropped and there's snow on the ground, it'll help. Why do they sell all those camo clothes for hunters if you're not allowed to wear them? Or is that just to look tough while shopping in WalMart? :biggrin: Or is it only deer hunting season when you're required to wear blazing orange?

8. Nov 10, 2007 #7

turbo

Gold Member

In bow-hunting season for deer and during turkey-hunting season, you're allowed to wear camo. During the firearms season for deer, though, you're required to wear this nasty-looking blaze orange. It helps alert other hunters to your presence, since NOTHING natural looks this luminous in those wavelengths, and it allows aerial spotters to locate hunters, detect potentially illegal deer-driving activities, etc. The leaves are pretty much off the trees now, so if you're hunting in hardwood or mixed-growth, spotters flying with Fish & Wildlife Dept pilots can see you a mile away. The intense orange of the clothing comes from the dominant wavelength of 595-605 nm with a required excitation purity of at last 85%.

9. Nov 10, 2007 #8

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Though most hunters simply say "Dagnabbit that's durn bright!"

10. Nov 10, 2007 #9

turbo

Gold Member

No kidding! If a hunter is driving around with some of this stuff in the cab of his pickup (not visible to you as an on-coming driver) and the sun can hit the clothing, you'll know he's got hunting clothes anyway, because the inside of his cab will be glowing orange like it's on fire. That's a tip-off to wardens doing "random" road checks. :cool:

When I was a kid, we'd wear red (or green or blue) and black plaid Woolrich wool jackets, pants, etc, often with red gloves to get other hunters' attention. That stuff was a lot better for sneaking through the woods without alerting loud birds like bluejays and crows who like to give warning calls about intruders.

11. Nov 10, 2007 #10
    All the photos were great, so I had to go with larkspur's creative one. Her picture just makes you notice the color immediately, since there is no other distinguishing feature! Ie., "Hey, what's that orange thing?" Clever. :)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  12. Nov 10, 2007 #11

turbo

Gold Member

Psst! "He's" a she.:redface:

13. Nov 10, 2007 #12
    Can I weasel by with the excuse that I was just following lazy pronoun rules?:blushing:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  14. Nov 10, 2007 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The trees here still have pretty dense foliage right now. The colors changed a bit later than usual (limiting my ability to get a pretty orange tree as my photo entry this year), so we still have trees with green leaves, and most only changed last week (it was a pretty rapid change once it finally happened though). I don't think another week is going to make a lot of difference in terms of foliage (firearms season starts the Monday before Thanksgiving here, it's still bow season right now...though looks more like motorvehicle season, I'm just not sure if it's deer hunting cars or cars hunting deer :uhh:).

15. Nov 10, 2007 #14

turbo

Gold Member

Nope! The PF sisters like to use ANY excuse to whap you up alongside the head with a big fish. If the offense is egregious, the fish will still be frozen hard. :eek:

16. Nov 10, 2007 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

*starts digging in bottom of freezer for that fish frozen in a block of ice* :devil:

17. Nov 10, 2007 #16
    You go Moonbear! I am all out of fish:biggrin:

18. Nov 10, 2007 #17
    No...wait....I found a package of blackened salmon fillets. Here goes...----->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>......Thunk!!!
    Did I hit anything??:confused:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  19. Nov 11, 2007 #18
    >>>>>>feels around in the dark for thawed salmon fillet. Grills it and takes a photo for next orange photo contest...........then feeds it to cat.

20. Nov 14, 2007 #19

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The first round of voting for this contest is about to end in a few hours. Get your votes in in all THREE groups, if you haven't done so already.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?