Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

VOTE PF Photo Contest - Quantum Physics

VOTE PF Photo Contest - Quantum Physics

Poll closed Apr 27, 2012.
  1. SecularSanity

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. Andy Resnick

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. Borek

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. fuzzyfelt

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  5. ZapperZ

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  6. Topher925

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Apr 21, 2012 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This week, we test the creativity of our members by asking them to show a photo that depict an aspect of quantum physics! Looks like several of the members rose to the challenge. So please vote not only for the best looking photo, but also for a photo that has a clear depiction of an aspect of Quantum Physics! A few photos are accompanied by captions.

As dlgoff said, dang, this is going to be hard!

1. SecularSanity
    Dice.jpg

2. Andy Resnick - <wavefunction|collapse>
    http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/9129/dsc0182c.png [Broken]

3. Borek - Heisenberg chickadee (Parus heisenbergi), ΔxΔp≥ℏ2
    marcin_quantum_physics.jpg

4. fuzzyfelt - wave-particle duality
    2idt3.jpg

5. ZapperZ - Periodic potential well
    img4990r.jpg

6. Topher925 - photons
    2cn8u55.jpg

Contest thread

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2012 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

I voted Topher925, since that's the only photo that actually has something to do with quantum physics afaik (and it's a nice photo ;).

4. Apr 21, 2012 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK, so I hate to tell people how to vote, but I think this theme requires a bit of explanation.

I always put a link to the original contest thread so that people can put the theme in question in the proper context, and realize the INTENT of that particular theme. The intent of this contest is NOT to show quantum physics in action. Rather, it asked for a PICTORIAL DEPICTION of quantum physics. I gave an example, in the contest thread, of putting a cat in a box, and calling that the Schrodinger Cat. That isn't quantum physics, but that is a pictorial depiction, a metaphor, if you like, of the infamous thought experiment that is a major part of quantum physics. So something such as fuzzyfelt photo of showing water waves and also the berries/fruit on a tree is a clever depiction of wave-particle duality. SecularSanity's photo of showing a series of dice (die?) is also another clever hint at Einstein's lament that god does not play dice with the universe, a phrase that will forever be a part of quantum physics history.

I will admit that I debated with myself if Topher's photo qualified for this contest. But I saw it rather late, and I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt and included it in this contest and let you decide. It is fine if you think it fits the intent and vote for it. However, if you vote for it because it is the only one that actually showed quantum physics at work, then you voted it for a reason that isn't part of the intent of the theme, and that is unfair to those who did stick to the theme.

There are some very clever photos here, and it is obvious that many members put some thought into either taking the photo they want, or selecting a photo that they already had, to fit into this theme. I hope members voting for the photos also think a little bit more into how clever some of these photos are in getting the theme just right.

So that's my 2-cent worth.

Zz.

5. Apr 22, 2012 #4

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yea. And your Periodic potential well seems like it may be modeling fuzzys berries. Damn hard to vote for just one. :biggrin:

6. Apr 24, 2012 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Stop being so uncertain and wishy-washy. Get your votes in now for the best depiction of Quantum Physics.

Zz.

7. Apr 24, 2012 #6

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay. I flipped a coin. Sorry Zz.

8. Apr 25, 2012 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The votes are very close! Right now, we have a tie for First Place. Every vote counts!

Zz.

9. Apr 25, 2012 #8
    It's kinda Heisenbergian uncertain but for the record, I'd say that's a Platanus

But excellent idea.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  10. Apr 25, 2012 #9

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, they're fuzzys (seed) balls.

11. Apr 25, 2012 #10
    Hmmm, :uhh: errm, don't tell her, but this platanus is a sterile hybrid. No seeds :uhh:

12. Apr 25, 2012 #11

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

Platanus, not "particles"?! :)
    The explanations have been nice too, thanks.

13. Apr 26, 2012 #12

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Final day to cast your vote for this contest. I'm sure many of you cast several simultaneous votes for a number of photos. Unfortunately, upon my observation, each one collapsed into just one vote for a particular photo. Too bad!

Zz.

14. Apr 26, 2012 #13

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dang Experimentalist; scientifically speaking i.e. :wink:

Bold by me

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook