Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

VOTE PF Photo Contest - Silhouette

VOTE PF Photo Contest - Silhouette

Poll closed Sep 20, 2007.
  1. turbo-1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ZapperZ

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Janus

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. neutrino

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  5. matthyaouw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. detta

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  7. FredGarvin

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  8. alex_caps

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. Sep 15, 2007 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    Insights Author

For a contest that started out rather slow, this has turned into a terrific one. There are some amazing pictures in this contest, so it may be a difficult and close voting.

Please choose a picture that best represents our theme, which is a picture that has a silhouette of an object/person/s.

1. turbo-1
    [​IMG]

2. ZapperZ
    [​IMG]

3. Janus
    [​IMG]

4. neutrino
    [​IMG]

5. matthyaouw
    [​IMG]

6. detta
    [​IMG]

7. FredGarvin
    [​IMG]

8. alex_caps
    [​IMG]
    Contest thread

Zz.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2007 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

This is REALLY hard, but I have to go with Zz. The picture just has an Art Deco appeal to it.

4. Sep 15, 2007 #3
    4. neutrino

naturalistic, aesthetic, contemplative, simple but complex areas, good composition, interesting internal to edge structure and division of spaces--good, I like it

5. Sep 15, 2007 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Had to go with neutrino. He nailed this one. Wonderful subject and composition. Nice implementation of the new camera, buddy!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  6. Sep 15, 2007 #5

Evo

Hmmmm, turbo and matthyaouw were tied for a close second for me. Turbo's was classic, and matthyaouw's keen eye caught a great picture. I do like neutrino's also for the starkness, I just wish the bird beak wasn't blurred, that ruined it for me, I would have loved the overall picture to be a bit crisper and more in focus. alex_caps is also very nice. Heck, they're all great in one way or another.

7. Sep 15, 2007 #6
    I kind of like the blurred bleak--it makes the photo 'move' / show movement to just a small degree. I can't remember the name of the photographer, but somewhere in that 1960's to 1980's period there was a artist that become fairly well known for having a 'blurring' effect to part of the photo. Funny to think about but that 'straight on' /profile period of Picasso was from a photographer that did a 'time' shot of a woman showing both slightly blurring where her face 'overlapped' perfectly.

----------------------

I like the bottom bird's 'bottom' edge/belly and how it mimics the brach's curve that it's standing on.

8. Sep 15, 2007 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

neutrino's picture would make a really cool mural. I love the background color.

9. Sep 15, 2007 #8

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I voted for Janus' but everytime i look at it, it seems more sinister :uhh:

Perhaps its just me :tongue2:

10. Sep 15, 2007 #9

Evo

My first husband was a photographer, and I had learning how to focus the Nikon he bought me beaten into my head so I'm a bit predjudiced. I still have nightmares about f-stops. He did our wedding pictures and forgot that he'd been doing infrared photography. I think I have the only infrared wedding pictures. :surprised

11. Sep 15, 2007 #10
    so, is there a joke in there?---'I bet "they looked HOT"'

12. Sep 16, 2007 #11

:surprised :surprised

Thank you all for the C&C. It was, in a way, a "random" shot. I hoped to achieve better focus the second time, but while I was busy previewing the image on the LCD, the crows flew away. :frown:

13. Sep 16, 2007 #12
    This was a tough one. I had a really hard time deciding between Janus, neutrino and alex_caps. In the end I decided to go with neutrino's picture because it is simple and elegant and based entirely on the theme of the contest.

I have a soft spot for Janus' photo. That's touching.

14. Sep 16, 2007 #13
    ahhh--nothing is random (according to Einstein) :wink:

-------------------

turbo--I like 'different' cloud shots--I've seen that ripple effect in clouds, but have never seen it at three different vectors/angles before--one many times, twice once in a while, but never three

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  15. Sep 17, 2007 #14

matthyaouw

Gold Member

FredGarvin gets my vote. There's just something really serene and relaxed about it...

16. Sep 17, 2007 #15

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Fishing with my BIL is anything but relaxing (jk) but it is heaven on earth up there.

I had to give Neutrino the nod. That picture reminds of a Shoji screen. Very cool picture.

17. Sep 18, 2007 #16

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    Insights Author

You have less than 2 days left to vote in this contest.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?