8. alex_caps

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. ZapperZ

ZapperZ 29,833
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

For a contest that started out rather slow, this has turned into a terrific one. There are some amazing pictures in this contest, so it may be a difficult and close voting.

Please choose a picture that best represents our theme, which is a picture that has a silhouette of an object/person/s.

1. turbo-1
    [​IMG]

2. ZapperZ
    [​IMG]

3. Janus
    [​IMG]

4. neutrino
    [​IMG]

5. matthyaouw
    [​IMG]

6. detta
    [​IMG]

7. FredGarvin
    [​IMG]

8. alex_caps
    [​IMG]
    Contest thread

Zz.

2. jcsd
  3. Evo

Staff: Mentor

This is REALLY hard, but I have to go with Zz. The picture just has an Art Deco appeal to it.

4. 4. neutrino

naturalistic, aesthetic, contemplative, simple but complex areas, good composition, interesting internal to edge structure and division of spaces--good, I like it

5. turbo

turbo 7,366
    Gold Member

Had to go with neutrino. He nailed this one. Wonderful subject and composition. Nice implementation of the new camera, buddy!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  6. Evo

Hmmmm, turbo and matthyaouw were tied for a close second for me. Turbo's was classic, and matthyaouw's keen eye caught a great picture. I do like neutrino's also for the starkness, I just wish the bird beak wasn't blurred, that ruined it for me, I would have loved the overall picture to be a bit crisper and more in focus. alex_caps is also very nice. Heck, they're all great in one way or another.

7. I kind of like the blurred bleak--it makes the photo 'move' / show movement to just a small degree. I can't remember the name of the photographer, but somewhere in that 1960's to 1980's period there was a artist that become fairly well known for having a 'blurring' effect to part of the photo. Funny to think about but that 'straight on' /profile period of Picasso was from a photographer that did a 'time' shot of a woman showing both slightly blurring where her face 'overlapped' perfectly.

----------------------

I like the bottom bird's 'bottom' edge/belly and how it mimics the brach's curve that it's standing on.

8. Math Is Hard

Math Is Hard 4,915
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

neutrino's picture would make a really cool mural. I love the background color.

9. Kurdt

Kurdt 4,941
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I voted for Janus' but everytime i look at it, it seems more sinister :uhh:

Perhaps its just me :tongue2:

10. Evo

My first husband was a photographer, and I had learning how to focus the Nikon he bought me beaten into my head so I'm a bit predjudiced. I still have nightmares about f-stops. He did our wedding pictures and forgot that he'd been doing infrared photography. I think I have the only infrared wedding pictures. :surprised

11. so, is there a joke in there?---'I bet "they looked HOT"'

12. :surprised :surprised

Thank you all for the C&C. It was, in a way, a "random" shot. I hoped to achieve better focus the second time, but while I was busy previewing the image on the LCD, the crows flew away. :frown:

13. This was a tough one. I had a really hard time deciding between Janus, neutrino and alex_caps. In the end I decided to go with neutrino's picture because it is simple and elegant and based entirely on the theme of the contest.

I have a soft spot for Janus' photo. That's touching.

14. ahhh--nothing is random (according to Einstein) :wink:

-------------------

turbo--I like 'different' cloud shots--I've seen that ripple effect in clouds, but have never seen it at three different vectors/angles before--one many times, twice once in a while, but never three

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  15. matthyaouw

matthyaouw 1,216
    Gold Member

FredGarvin gets my vote. There's just something really serene and relaxed about it...

16. FredGarvin

FredGarvin 5,087
    Science Advisor

Fishing with my BIL is anything but relaxing (jk) but it is heaven on earth up there.

I had to give Neutrino the nod. That picture reminds of a Shoji screen. Very cool picture.

17. ZapperZ

ZapperZ 29,833
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You have less than 2 days left to vote in this contest.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?