Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

VOTE PF PHOTO CONTEST - THANKS (Nov 22 -28)

1. Lisab

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Turbo-1

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. Hypatia

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Nov 29, 2009 #1
    VOTE PF PHOTO CONTEST - THANKS!!! (Nov 22 -28)

Unfortunately, it seems that there was not a lot of inspiration for showing gratitude. Please Please vote for the picture that best expresses gratitude.

Due to the restricted number of contestants the voting is single

Unfortunately Atakor has not provided a satisfactory explanation for the apparant processing of a partial colored black and white picture, which seemed contrary to rule #2. Hence I see no option but to exclude it from voting.

Lisab
    1zwj9t3.jpg
    These two are thankful that they live on a family farm, as pets, not dinner.

Turbo-1
    happydog.jpg
    ...but this year Duke is number one...I'm alone a LOT, and Duke is helping to keep me sane.

Hypatia
    son1.jpg
    I'm thankful for such a great hatchling, he always keeps a smile on my face.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2009 #2
    Re: VOTE PF PHOTO CONTEST - THANKS!!! (Nov 22 -28)

Meanwhile Akator has shown me that his camera has the ability to edit/customize specific colors. Hence, it could be disputed if http://lh3.ggpht.com/_dkRYN4M5dUU/Ss9QIIgP-9I/AAAAAAAAA74/EmuUnqPdJYY/s640/IMG_0203.jpg [Broken] was "photoshopped" and if it was admissable to the letter of the rules:

However to the spirit of the rules, it is not a picture editing/special effect contest. Hence also in-camera editting to attain special effects should not be done.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Nov 30, 2009 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

This is a thin ice, as border between altered picture and unaltered one is fuzzy. Many cameras do some processing to saturate colors, brighten dark parts of the picture, darken bright ones and so on. That means even pictures that are right from the camera and shot in some super auto mode are in fact altered, so their use in the contests can be disputed.

That said, I wholeheartedly agree with Andre's decision.

5. Nov 30, 2009 #4

I think LisaB's birds are beautiful and the photo she shot is terrific. But I'm totally in love with Duke. I'm not a fan of having to choose.

6. Dec 4, 2009 #5

I think Duke is great!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook