Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Voting Proposition Help!

1. Oct 7, 2011 #1

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Hey all. Just got my ballot in to vote on some propositions (I vote for Texas legislature) but I'm not sure what one of them really means.

I know what an ad valorem tax is, but I have no idea what it means by the "on the basis of it's productive capacity" part. Is this land that's devoted to water stewardship doing some kind of water processing or something? What is the tax currently based off of?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2011 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Since you are in the USA and I am not, I can base this only upon my understanding of Yank greed. That, of course, is dependent upon who is in charge. An organisation such as Ducks Unlimited will have a far different approach to the matter than will either the EPA or a real estate developer. The term "water stewardship" implies to me some sort of nature conservation, but I don't know for sure.
    In your position, as a caring taxpayer, I would request a clarification in layman's terms before voting.
    Just my opinion, since I'm not one of you, but that's what I would do here in Canada.

4. Oct 8, 2011 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't need to know complcated stuff like what an ad valorem tax is.

The proposition means "if this proposition is carried, your politicians will get richer". Exactly the same as every other proposition on the ballot paper.

5. Oct 8, 2011 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Do I detect a hint of cynicism?

6. Oct 8, 2011 #5

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

7. Oct 8, 2011 #6

jtbell

A Google search for "texas ballot propositions 2011" led me to this page:

http://votexas.org/exp-statements-2011.html

which didn't tell me much about the purpose of the proposition, but it did tell me that it it's Proposition 8. A further search for "texas proposition 8" led me to

http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Texas_Water-Stewardship_Tax_Amendment,_Proposition_8_(2011)

which has some more information, including pro and con arguments. The other hits for that search probably have useful information, but I didn't bother pursuing it further because I'm in South Carolina so it's not my ballot.

8. Oct 8, 2011 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Aleph, you have got to either work on your sense of humour or quit responding to my jokes. I don't have time to explain them to you.

9. Oct 8, 2011 #8

Drakkith

I don't care what your opinion on politicians is, this isn't the thread about it. If you can't stick to the topic then please don't post.

10. Oct 8, 2011 #9

Drakkith

Jtbell that is exactly what I needed! Thanks so much! I tried searching on google, but I guess I didn't type in the right phrase lol.

11. Oct 9, 2011 #10

Danger

Gold Member

JT, those are very cool links. I didn't actually read them, since they have no relevance in my life, but I did score enough of a glimpse to realize how appropriate they are to the original question. Nice catch.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook