VP debate just got over

• News
  • Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
I gotta say both candidates did a pretty good job. I'm giving the win to Palin though. She did much much better than I was expecting. There's more than looks there. I just have one comment and one question.
1. I wish politicians could answer a question when they are asked one. Nothing against these two, but if I tried answering a question on a test the way they do I wouldn't expect a single correct answer.
2. Biden said that Afghanistan has nuclear weapons and had deployed nuclear weapons. Did I miss Afghanistan nuking someone? Or was he talking about a test?

Answers and Replies

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I gotta say both candidates did a pretty good job. I'm giving the win to Palin though.

:surprised Check out the "mark your diary" thread.

OrbitalPower
I'm pretty sure biden was talking about Pakistan, as the question was about Iran and Pakistan, which one was more dangerous.

OrbitalPower
LOL. Keith Olbermann is just going over all the things Palin did wrong.

Keith is so biased, but at least he uses facts to make his case unlike fox noise.

She one of the generals names wrong, the number of troops deployed, etc.

I love how MSNBC talks to me like a human being that can understand big words and complete sentences, instead of the soundbite nonsense on the other cable networks (and the outright propaganda on fox noise).

I gotta say both candidates did a pretty good job. I'm giving the win to Palin though. She did much much better than I was expecting. There's more than looks there. I just have one comment and one question.
1. I wish politicians could answer a question when they are asked one. Nothing against these two, but if I tried answering a question on a test the way they do I wouldn't expect a single correct answer.
2. Biden said that Afghanistan has nuclear weapons and had deployed nuclear weapons. Did I miss Afghanistan nuking someone? Or was he talking about a test?

You gave the win to Palin? Wow............................................... errrr, no. Sorry there. You're wrong.

I gave the first debate win to McCain. But this one, she clearly lost. By miles. All she said was sound bites over and over and over again. Most of them the same just rephrased differently.

"We're mavericks."

The question was about the economy.....

Yeah but were mavericks!!!................MAVERICK!

I think they both did pretty well but I wouldn't say Palin won.

And OrbitalPower was right, Biden was talking about Pakistan having deployed nuclear weapons.

You are right, I meant Pakistan.

I gave the first debate to Obama. I give the second to Palin.
Now, because I'm scientific I have to ask myself why. Could I be biased against old people? Yes, that is a definite possibility. so is the possibility that I prefer the better looking candidate. I think I judge the way I do based on the feeling I get about how much I "like" the person. I don't really care as much about the facts because I know lots of dumb people who know a lot of facts and decisions at the upper level are never a one person affair.

WHat did you expect from someone who has been a Senator since they were 29 years old? Biden absolutely mopped the floor with Palin, especially when it came to foreign policy issues.

I only heard the begining. It sounded like Palin was tripping up from the get go and Biden was giving her a little push.

From clips of her debates in the AK governors race she seems pretty sharp so long as she actually knows what she's talking about.

Palin did better than I had expected. I hate when she answers a question with pep rally talk though. Biden won, but it was close.

Biden schooled her on the Constitution, but what do you expect from someone who has a JD and who still teaches Constitutional Law at Widener University every year?

Biden schooled her on the politics of the Middle East, but what did you expect coming from someone who has been on the foreign relations committee?

Biden won this show hands down.

LowlyPion
Homework Helper

No that was definitely Pakistan. That was the predicate of the question discussing which was more of a threat - an unstable Pakistan or a nuclear Iran.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My favorite Palin answer was: I may not answer the questions the way that you and the moderator would like.

Now that was funny! What she meant was that when she can't answer the question, she will say whatever she wants. I'm sure that the core thought it was spunky, but I suspect that the Inds saw it as the dodge that it was.

LowlyPion
Homework Helper
My favorite Palin answer was: I may not answer the questions the way that you and the moderator would like.

Now that was funny! What she meant was that when she can't answer the question, she will say whatever she wants. But I'm sure that the core thought it was spunky.

I'm sure that was her practiced failsafe line. If cornered say ...

Now that was funny! What she meant was that when she can't answer the question, she will say whatever she wants. I'm sure that the core thought it was spunky, but I suspect that the Inds saw it as the dodge that it was.

I loved this one!

Palin adopted her trademark colloquial tone for her first response, suggesting the best barometer of public sentiment on the economy could be found on the sidelines of a children's soccer match.

"Turn to any parent there on the sideline and ask them, 'how are you feeling about the economy?'," Palin said. "And I'll bet you'll hear fear in the parent's voice."

http://www.cbc.ca/world/usvotes/story/2008/10/02/vp-usdebate.html?ref=rss

Most of her answers were scary. Like relying on army for foreign relations ... or not negotiating with dictators. And above one, asking general public for economic health.

Anyone see Bill O'fool right before the debate? He started SHOUTING at the senator of Mass. and the senator was calling him stupid, O'fool told him he's saying a load of BS - literally.

And before this they had on Carl Rove, and O'fool treated him soooooo kind and nice. This network is so full of s*** its amazing.

Adding insult to injury, he started with his talking point about how FOX is rated number one, and MSNBC is way down at 26.

Anyone also notice how high tech and nice CNN has become? Even their website is really nice.

Anyone see Bill O'fool right before the debate? He started SHOUTING at the senator of Mass. and the senator was calling him stupid, O'fool told him he's saying a load of BS - literally.

And before this they had on Carl Rove, and O'fool treated him soooooo kind and nice. This network is so full of s*** its amazing.

Adding insult to injury, he started with his talking point about how FOX is rated number one, and MSNBC is way down at 26.

Anyone also notice how high tech and nice CNN has become? Even their website is really nice.

The radio station I listen to, KFI am640, is owned by clear channel and a fox news affiliate. They read the news twice an hour just like regular news, no spin I can detect. The only affiliated reporter that is a staple on any of the shows is a Liberal and big supporter of Obama, he covered the DNC for them. Most of their local political talk show hosts are conservative but tend to be rather even handed. They're all tearing apart Palin and McCain. They don't like Obama either but they are fair about it at least.

Pythagorean
Gold Member
what really bugs me about the neo-cons is the way they throw around buzz words and spend all their time appealing to the average joe with pathos.

Both Obama and Biden both appeal to me with logos moreso than pathos. They're arguments seemed valid (if not sound... that is, I don't know if their premises are true). The neo-cons hardly ever make valid arguments. They throw a flattering buzz phrase in and attach their conclusion.

I miss the Republican party.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Palin was excellent for about the first 20 minutes. Considering how people absorb these things, that was pretty huge - it affects their attitude for the rest of the debate. Most of the debate, I felt she was spinning her tires until she finally found some traction. When she did find traction, her responses were pretty strong. Combined with a strong initial impression, Palin had a good debate, politically.

On the other hand, Biden was outstanding. A lot of his responses made the listener think vs. just tossing out sound bites. In a way, maybe they made the listener think too much. In some of his responses about McCain's record, that thought would remind listeners why they like McCain in the first place. These were always in responses where Biden balanced McCain's positives with his blemishes. Obviously, Biden only mentioned the blemishes, but you couldn't go to those places without the unmentioned positives of McCain sitting just out of sight. I think, in a serious debate, a candidate has to go there and confront those kind of things head on and Biden did a very good job of it, but most Presidential/Vice-Presidential debates aren't serious debates. Everyone's scared of those kind of debates.

From a debate perspective, Biden just mopped the floor with Palin. From a political perspective, only getting beaten soundly without embarrassing herself was a success for Palin. At least her incompetence isn't the big story anymore.

That doesn't mean it's disappeared. After the debate, Soledad O'Brien noted something interesting about the response chart CNN ran. Meaningless folksy BS to fill in empty space didn't cut it. Listeners could see she was just spinning her tires when she was at her worst.

She's a pretty weak candidate at this point in her career. So much so that, if the McCain/Palin ticket loses, she'll probably fade back into obscurity as soon as this campaign is over. She's a case history on the perils of bringing someone too inexperienced into the race.

Edwards was weak in 2004. That "Two Americas" speech would have worn pretty thin if that's the only tool he had in his bag. Four years later, he was a stronger candidate with more depth. Not enough that he should have beaten the likes of Richardson, Biden, and Dodds, but he did.

I felt Clinton and Obama would show even weaker than Edwards in 2004. Both turned out to be very strong candidates. I think the campaign starting so early (beginning of 2007) was a big plus for Obama. He grew a lot over the campaign, plus we've seen him so much for so long that he doesn't seem like the new kid lacking experience anymore.

Just in recent history, you have two "inexperienced" candidates that did very well. A rookie that survived his first campaign and came back stronger. Palin could wind up demonstrating the risk that goes along with that inexperience.

LowlyPion
Homework Helper
This was an incredibly orchestrated happening last night for the Republican Party. It was an all hands on deck full frontal charge up Cemetery Ridge in Gettysburg.

The very flower of the Republican Party was turned out to sound bite the public to numbness, to pretend that Palin offers anything but cutsie recitation of practiced phrases. I was truly impressed at the all-star talking heads - from Rove to Guiliani to Thompson to Lieberman to Buchanan - locked stepping as if it means their very existence, which of course it does.

With the general opinion at large thinking that Biden won, it looks like Rove's frontal assault on the electoral college has fallen short of cresting the hill. I think with the watershed moment of the campaign resulting in the Republican's limping off down the road, withdrawing from contesting Michigan, they have relegated themselves to fighting a rear guard action to salvage what they can of those candidates that they can. But McCain is no longer on that list.

Q_Goest
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Palin presented herself brilliantly as the ‘soccer mom next door’ (the Republican paradigm). But… I don’t get it… Why do Republicans believe “the guy next door” or “soccer mom” is the right pick for Pres? Seems to me that’s the WRONG person for President - just look at Bush. My neighbor can’t lead a country, can yours? I want someone SMART behind the wheel this time, someone that’ll use their brain instead of their gut to make decisions.

I don’t know about your gut, but mine has sh** in it.

Well ya gotta remember that up there in Alaska a lot of us folks are mavericks up there :rolleyes:

Evo
Mentor
Asked which is a greater threat, a nuclear Pakistan or a nuclear Iran, Palin seemed to be stalling, or writing a term paper, when she said: “An armed, nuclear armed especially Iran is so extremely dangerous to consider.”
Well, she is getting a bit better at delivering lines, or maybe not.

Millions of Americans were watching Thursday night’s vice presidential debate, waiting for a demolition derby moment — another crash by GOP running mate Sarah Palin, another serving of raw material for the writers at "Saturday Night Live."

By that standard, she got out alive, though there were white-knuckle moments along the way: questions that were answered with painfully obvious talking points that betrayed scant knowledge of the issue at hand and sometimes little relevance to the question that had been asked.

But recent days have given John McCain’s team little reason to suppose that not-that-bad is good enough. The Republican ticket’s sliding polls and narrowing electoral map gave it a different imperative in Palin's showdown against Joe Biden. That was to alter the trajectory of the race in a way reminiscent of how Palin first enlivened Republicans — it seems long ago now — when she joined the ticket in late August.

Absent new polling, there is little reason to think she cleared that bar in St. Louis.

To the contrary, it is hard to count any objective measures by which Biden did not clearly win the encounter. She looked like she was trying to get people to take her seriously. He looked like he was running for vice president. His answers were more responsive to the questions, far more detailed and less rhetorical.

On at least 10 occasions, Palin gave answers that were nonspecific, completely generic, pivoted away from the question at hand, or simply ignored it: on global warming, an Iraq exit strategy, Iran and Pakistan, Iranian diplomacy, Israel-Palestine (and a follow-up), the nuclear trigger, interventionism, Cheney's vice presidency and her own greatest weakness.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14235.html

I've been reading all morning and everyone gives the win to Biden.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Hah, Rubin Navarrette [Republican pundit] was just saying that this was her best moment in the debate. Why am I not surprised? Spunk over substance? Why not? I am sure that one can spunk their way through any problem. It Putin gets out of hand, just spunk him! If we have a budget crisis, spunk it! Terrorists? Spunk 'em.

Not only predicatable, but scary.