VP Debate

• News
  • Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date
graphic7
Gold Member
I agree that Edwards didn't do his best, but he didn't do his worst either. I doubt he'll hurt all the momentum that the Kerry compaign now possesses. So long, Bush.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Moonbear said:
I just checked out that link Gokul. Wow! Though it's down to 76% when I voted, so maybe a lot of Kerry supporters got in early just to bias the early reports to have a bigger impact. They must not have even waited for the debate to end to vote so quickly.

On CBS News just now, they just reported 29% Edwards won, 42% Cheney, 29% tie.

The online polls didn't appear till just after the debate ended. I too was shocked when I first saw something like 15,000 votes within about a minute of opening.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Kat, some of these polls are just off the internet...whoever goes to the MSNBC website can vote on that one. I wasn't quite clear whether the one I saw reported on CBS was a local poll or national one. They've been mentioning following about 200 local undecided voters, so that could have been them they were talking about.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
kat said:
mmm, I won't buy any poll I see at this point without the internals. I don't even think they can poll the east coast (or deep south) because it's so late in the evening.

Yeah, these are more for entertainment...and they are not scientific polls anyway. The votes will eventually swing towards Cheney, I believe, but I think it will be closer than the previous debate, and hence have a smaller effect on general polling numbers.

Wow, I'm a fervent Kerry/Edwards supporter, but I don't see how 70+% of the people could think Edwards won, where it was a rare poll that showed John Kerry even doing that well.

Kerry did much better than Bush in the deabte, and comparatively better than Edwards. Cheney did much better than Edwards in the debate, and comparatively better than Bush.

At least with the Democrats, the guy they want to be #1 is the guy who's the best. Wheras with the Republicans, Cheney clearly had a better handle on numbers, facts, small details, a wide range of issues, and was just a more coherent person/debater in general.

Does anyone really doubt that Cheney's really the head of ship?

kat
Wasteof02- I believe (I really need to dbl check it but...) that those who heard Bush/Kerry on radio or only read the transcript rated Bush higher then Kerry. Hence the Bush won on content/Kerry won on style comments.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
kat said:
Ithink this one goes to Cheney.
I can't believe Edwards brought up Cheney's gay daughter.

I don't think this was low at all. Edwards was showing respect for Cheney's stand on the issue. He wasn't trying to muscle anything out of this...

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
kat said:
Hence the Bush won on content

I find that quite surprising !! :eek:

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
wasteofo2 said:
Wow, I'm a fervent Kerry/Edwards supporter, but I don't see how 70+% of the people could think Edwards won, where it was a rare poll that showed John Kerry even doing that well.

wo2, this number started near 80% and has been dropping steadily to 70%...I think it will continue to drop for a while, as people listen to analysts/hear clips/read transcripts.

kat said:
Wasteof02- I believe (I really need to dbl check it but...) that those who heard Bush/Kerry on radio or only read the transcript rated Bush higher then Kerry. Hence the Bush won on content/Kerry won on style comments.
What do you think swayed people who read it or only heard it?

Was it the "Yeah, uhh, I uhh, ya see, i... uhh, I'm doin' hard work, lotsa' people are workin' hard, it's uh... see, it's hard work workin' this hard to attain such a hard goal."? Was it the mindless repetition? Was it the failure to rebut any of Kerry's main points or defend Kerry's attacks on his own? All Bush said was that it was hard work, Kerry is inconsistant, he is consistant/strong, criticism is bad, Kerry is critical.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
kat said:

I'm not buying that. I went back and read through the transcripts of that first debate to make sure I didn't miss anything of substance while distracted by the ums, and there really isn't anything there. At one point, Bush said something to the effect of (paraphrasing here), "I already explained that earlier" so I went to look through the responses to the previous questions to see if he indeed did answer the question in a previous response (I thought it likely since that first debate was very repetitive in terms of the questions asked). There was no such answer.

Gokul43201 said:
Among 140,000 voters (at last edit time) at joe.msnbc.com 76% say EDWARDS WON !!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036789/

That's a click as you go poll. Vote as much as you want - just wipe your cookies poll. Get your computer program to vote for you poll.

Considering, I'd say it's not a valid poll -

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
wasteofo2 said:

Kerry did much better than Bush in the deabte, and comparatively better than Edwards. Cheney did much better than Edwards in the debate, and comparatively better than Bush.

At least with the Democrats, the guy they want to be #1 is the guy who's the best. Wheras with the Republicans, Cheney clearly had a better handle on numbers, facts, small details, a wide range of issues, and was just a more coherent person/debater in general.

Does anyone really doubt that Cheney's really the head of ship?

I agree with your assessment. But we've always known this administration is just a ventriloquist act. That's why Bush can't speak when Cheney isn't present feeding him his lines. :rofl: If Bush and Cheney traded places, I would be giving them much more serious consideration.

kat
Moonbear- As I mentioned, I need to check it out further (but who has the time?) I can't remember where i referenced it from and I watched it on the only channel we recieve out here (CBS, NOT FOX as some like to suggest =P ). One thing that might skew the views of those who listen on radio might be a higher % of radio listeners could be...conservative. *shrug* I don't have the numbers to support it at this point, I just threw it out there as something I've read/seen/heard over the last few days.

Moonbear said:
If Bush and Cheney traded places, I would be giving them much more serious consideration.

Even if they traded places their view on issues are the same. You imply that your vote is based upon surface impressions!

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
kat said:
Moonbear- As I mentioned, I need to check it out further (but who has the time?) I can't remember where i referenced it from and I watched it on the only channel we recieve out here (CBS, NOT FOX as some like to suggest =P ). One thing that might skew the views of those who listen on radio might be a higher % of radio listeners could be...conservative. *shrug* I don't have the numbers to support it at this point, I just threw it out there as something I've read/seen/heard over the last few days.

Fair enough. It's really easy for any given poll to be skewed one way or another based on the sampling methods, and in such a close race, I'm trying not to draw too many conclusions from polls since the margin of error usually exceeds the differences. Nov 2 is going to be a nail-biter of an evening watching the returns coming in. I'm thinking I should have a party to watch the returns...help survive the suspense!

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
kawikdx225 said:
Even if they traded places their view on issues are the same. You imply that your vote is based upon surface impressions!

Oh, I didn't mean it would sway my vote. I'm voting on my opinions about their views on the issues, but I do find it hard to take Bush seriously when he comes across so scatter-brained. I don't agree with Cheney's views on policy, but at least he shows leadership ability. Though, to some extent, when both candidates probably agree on at least 70% of the issues (I don't really know how much, I just made up that number, but it's really pretty high), one has to consider not just what someone wants to do, but whether they actually have the leadership skills to pull it off.

Moonbear said:
I agree with your assessment. But we've always known this administration is just a ventriloquist act. That's why Bush can't speak when Cheney isn't present feeding him his lines. :rofl: If Bush and Cheney traded places, I would be giving them much more serious consideration.
I dunno, regardless of their policies, if George Bush wasn't president and Dick Cheney was, would you really want George Bush as your VP? Or in any government position really? He's like a Dan Quayle but less eloquent.

kat
Did you pick up on Cheney's one big mistake?

kat said:
Did you pick up on Cheney's one big mistake?
The policies he was defending were all horrible failures.

I loved it when he was talking about how to deal with poverty, and started talking about creating jobs as the best solution, and that getting people working in good paying jobs is the bes way to combat poverty. Meanwhile, he's the leader of the first administration to lose jobs since the great depressoin, and the jobs they have created to make up for the ones they lost pay about $9,000 less than the new ones.

God, I'm so pissed at Edwards for letting so much important crap slide and focusing on stupid stuff the way he did...

kat
Oh please.
Cheney said " www.factcheck.com[/url] " instead of " [url]www.factcheck.org[/URL] "

Last edited by a moderator:
kat said:
Oh please.
Cheney said " www.factcheck.com[/url] " instead of " [url]www.factcheck.org[/URL] "[/QUOTE]
I actually did catch that when he said it, but the fact that his administration has lost jobs, the first since the great depression, and that he then talked about creating jobs was way bigger in my mind. Call me crazy I guess...

Last edited by a moderator:
kat
No, I'll call you young and inexperienced. As a small business owner, I appreciate the Bush/Cheney approach.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
wasteofo2 said:
I dunno, regardless of their policies, if George Bush wasn't president and Dick Cheney was, would you really want George Bush as your VP? Or in any government position really? He's like a Dan Quayle but less eloquent.

Hmm...considering Cheney's health, that might be a big risk. If Bush wins, do you think there's any chance they'll have pretzels at the inaugural ball? :biggrin: :tongue: (It's a joke!)

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
kat said:
No, I'll call you young and inexperienced. As a small business owner, I appreciate the Bush/Cheney approach.

Which approach is that - hiring back previously laid-off employees for lower salaries, or not paying for their health insurance because it's so exhorbitantly expensive?

Seriously, what about their approach do you find appealing?