Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

VSEPR Theory .

1. Jan 9, 2005 #1
    VSEPR Theory.....

I am completely at ease with being able to use VSEPR theory to answer questions, etc, but I just cant get my head round why it actually happens? All im told is "electron clouds repel each other to be as far apart as possible", but this seems to completely disagree with the idea of orbitals, etc - the places where elctrons must be. (95% of the time of course... :wink: ) The electron pairs are present in orbital which exist in certain places around the nuncleus - why would these move? Thats treating them as if they are solid themselves, like balloons - which they are not.

Is the answer to this a bit more advanced than the "electron clouds repel each other to be as far apart as possible" statement lets on? (ie - does it result from hybridization, etc? )

Thanks in advance. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, it is due to hybridization.

When orbitals hybridize, they "lose their identity". A more detailed answer will take a lot of time and energy, so I'll wait for others to chip in first.

4. Jan 9, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes,it is a bit more advanced.It has to with the fact that QM governs fundamental chemistry.And the chemical bond and the geometry of the molecules.The electron pair repulsion is natural and comes from thefact that these electrons are charged particles with the same sign and it is natural to repel each other.The hamiltonian term containing these Coulomb potentials becomes significantly important and cannot be treated as a perturbation.
    So the theory of Gillespie is very well physically founded.

Daniel.

5. Jan 10, 2005 #4

chem_tr

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would like to say something about this, but a bit less "advanced" about the area... In VSEPR theory, I think the "restlessness" of non-bonding electron pairs is much more than bonding electrons. So, if a non-bonding electron pair is present in the molecule, this will cause the structure to deviate from ideal geometry, see ammonia and water, for example. If we could isolate the cation of ammonia, say, NH3+, (note that this is different from ammonium, NH4+)), we would likely to obtain a structure with ideal-like triangular geometry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?