Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

W- boson and beta decay (old title: Nuclear physics)

Tags:
  1. Aug 21, 2014 #1

smk

How W- boson decay into electron and anti neutrino?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2014 #2

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Well it depends on what you find as a satisfying answer. I'd say that it decays into such, because "it can" . It's allowed to (due to the symmetries) interact/couple with those particles and so it does.

+ the ( W-> e nu ) is conserving all the quantities we think that are conserved.

P.S. - the title of the thread is misleading, you should try to write a title that represents clearly your question.

4. Aug 21, 2014 #3

smk

Thank...basically I m confused in beta decay.in which proton is transformed in to neutron.as we know that proton is lighter then neutron.

5. Aug 21, 2014 #4

ChrisVer

Gold Member

And that actually means that a proton by itself cannot decay to a neutron (what I'm saying is that the proton decay is not an 1->3 particle decay).
    In fact it needs to be able to drain energy from the environment so that is to say the decay is actually of the form:
    [itex] p e^- \rightarrow n \nu [/itex]
    or having something else:
    [itex] X p \rightarrow X n e^+ \nu [/itex]
    So a 1+(1)->3+(1) which can energetically allow it.

6. Aug 21, 2014 #5

smk

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook