Understanding W Boson Decay: Exploring Quark Pair Possibilities

In summary, the W boson can decay to a u and anti s as well as other combinations of quarks due to the CKM matrix. This allows for a wider range of decay possibilities beyond just quarks of the same generation.
Ajihood
Hey Guys,

Just a quick question. Can a W boson decay to a u and anti s or does it have to decay to a quark and anti-quark of the same generation?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The weak couplings are determined by the CKM matrix, which mixes the down type quarks between generations. So the [tex]W^+[/tex] can decay to [tex]u\bar{d}[/tex], [tex]u\bar{s}[/tex], [tex]u\bar{b}[/tex], as well as the corresponding channels involving the charm quark.

Thanks for that fzero. I thought it could because of the CKM matrix but I have only seen examples of where it decays to u and anti d etc so I was a little worried that there may be more there I haven't learned yet. Thanks again :)

1. What is a W boson?

A W boson is a subatomic particle that belongs to the family of elementary particles called bosons. It is one of the fundamental particles that make up the universe and is responsible for the weak nuclear force, which is one of the four fundamental forces of nature.

2. How does a W boson decay?

A W boson can decay in two ways: into a lepton-antilepton pair (such as an electron and an antineutrino) or into a quark-antiquark pair. The specific decay mode depends on the energy and other properties of the W boson.

3. What is the lifetime of a W boson?

The lifetime of a W boson is incredibly short, lasting only about 10^-25 seconds. This is because the W boson is a very massive particle and therefore decays quickly into lighter particles according to the laws of quantum mechanics.

4. Can a W boson decay into more than two particles?

No, a W boson can only decay into two particles at a time. This is due to the conservation of energy and momentum, which dictates that the total energy and momentum of the decay products must equal that of the original particle.

5. Why is it important to study W boson decay?

Studying W boson decay is essential for understanding the fundamental forces and building blocks of the universe. It also plays a crucial role in particle physics experiments and can provide insights into the behavior of matter and energy at a subatomic level.