1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

W=dke=dpe potential energy

1. Apr 14, 2014 #1
    A conservative force of 5 N causes a body to move 2 m in the direction of the force. The change of the body’s potential energy associated with the force is:
    (a) zero,
    (b) +10 J,
    (c) -10 J, (d) infinite.

Let's say the force is pushing the body for 2m, there must be a change in KE. But, for change of KE, there must be change in PE.
    I don't understand this. Can you explain to me how W=DKE=DPE?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2014 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

you might want to consider both the work energy theorem and the conservation of energy theorem to show the relationship between work done by a conservative force and the PE change.

4. Apr 14, 2014 #3
    I think I found the answer: -10J. Say it is gravity, object goes down two meters, -10J of DPE.

5. Apr 14, 2014 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes that is correct.
    You should satisfy yourself (with no other non conservative forces doing work ) that the KE change is ?

6. Apr 15, 2014 #5
    It is not. Look up the definition of potential energy. There is a minus sign there.

7. Apr 15, 2014 #6
  8. Apr 15, 2014 #7
    I did not say that your previous answer is wrong.

Is the work positive or negative?

9. Apr 15, 2014 #8
    Nasu, I was answering PhantomJay's question! The change in KE= +10J

10. Apr 15, 2014 #9

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct. So you originally stated that that Wc=dKE=dPE.
    Do you wish to correct that statement, for the special case as in your example when only conservative forces are doing work?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted