1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

W is real valued?

1. Apr 13, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question is in the post below.

Show the equation W posted is real valued.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The idea is to show that W conjugate = W but there is a complex exponential in W which makes things tricky?
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have posted a link to a restricted web-site.
  4. Apr 13, 2007 #3
    Okay. I have put the equation up in the document. Show W is real valued.

Attached Files:

5. Apr 13, 2007 #4
    Is it because psi conjugated produces a negative in the y value so y has only an imaginary component. mod spi sqaured is real. since y has a factor or i, it will cancel with the i already apparent in the exponential. So everything in the integral is positive hence W is positive.
  6. Apr 13, 2007 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes. The imaginary part of the integrand is an odd function ([itex]e^{iy}= cos(y)+ i sin(y)[/itex] and sin is odd) so its integral over a region symmetric about 0 ([itex]-\infty[/itex] to [itex]\infty[/itex] is 0.
  7. Apr 13, 2007 #6
    That is very neat. But is my long explanation also correct? Although in my explantion, I said that y is purely imaginary. Is that correct would sin(y) make sense then?

In that integral y is claimed to be the integration variable but how does that make sense? Why do you need an integration variable? why not integrate wrt p or x?

This means y can't be complex valued which raises the question why are the arguments in psi have plus and minus y/2 for non conjugate and conjugate psi.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  8. Apr 13, 2007 #7
    [itex] y [/itex] is a dummy variable. Imagine if you had a function:

[tex] f(x) = \sum_{n=1}^x 1 [/tex]

The integral is no different, [itex] y [/itex] is used to "increment" (so to speak), just as [itex] n [/itex] is.
  9. Apr 13, 2007 #8
    Right, W is a function of x and p and the integral has nothing to do with x or p, it is there to evaluate a number with constants x and p.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?