Proving W is Real-Valued: Equation and Solution

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about proving the real valued equation W conjugate = W and the use of a complex exponential in W. It is concluded that the imaginary part of the integrand is an odd function, making the integral over a symmetric region equal to 0. The use of the variable y as an integration variable is explained as a "dummy variable" to increment the function, similar to n in a sum. It is also noted that W is a function of x and p and the integral is used to evaluate a number with constant values of x and p.
pivoxa15

Homework Statement

The question is in the post below.

Show the equation W posted is real valued.

The Attempt at a Solution

The idea is to show that W conjugate = W but there is a complex exponential in W which makes things tricky?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have posted a link to a restricted web-site.

Okay. I have put the equation up in the document. Show W is real valued.

Attachments

• W is real valued.GIF
    W is real valued.GIF
    5 KB · Views: 475
Is it because psi conjugated produces a negative in the y value so y has only an imaginary component. mod spi sqaured is real. since y has a factor or i, it will cancel with the i already apparent in the exponential. So everything in the integral is positive hence W is positive.

Yes. The imaginary part of the integrand is an odd function ([itex]e^{iy}= cos(y)+ i sin(y)[/itex] and sin is odd) so its integral over a region symmetric about 0 ([itex]-\infty[/itex] to [itex]\infty[/itex] is 0.

That is very neat. But is my long explanation also correct? Although in my explantion, I said that y is purely imaginary. Is that correct would sin(y) make sense then?

In that integral y is claimed to be the integration variable but how does that make sense? Why do you need an integration variable? why not integrate wrt p or x?

This means y can't be complex valued which raises the question why are the arguments in psi have plus and minus y/2 for non conjugate and conjugate psi.

Last edited:
pivoxa15 said:
That is very neat. But is my long explanation also correct? Although in my explantion, I said that y is purely imaginary. Is that correct would sin(y) make sense then?

In that integral y is claimed to be the integration variable but how does that make sense? Why do you need an integration variable? why not integrate wrt p or x?

This means y can't be complex valued which raises the question why are the arguments in psi have plus and minus y/2 for non conjugate and conjugate psi.

[itex] y [/itex] is a dummy variable. Imagine if you had a function:

[tex] f(x) = \sum_{n=1}^x 1 [/tex]

The integral is no different, [itex] y [/itex] is used to "increment" (so to speak), just as [itex] n [/itex] is.

FrogPad said:
[itex] y [/itex] is a dummy variable. Imagine if you had a function:

[tex] f(x) = \sum_{n=1}^x 1 [/tex]

The integral is no different, [itex] y [/itex] is used to "increment" (so to speak), just as [itex] n [/itex] is.

Right, W is a function of x and p and the integral has nothing to do with x or p, it is there to evaluate a number with constants x and p.

1. How do you prove that W is real-valued?

To prove that W is real-valued, we must show that all values of W are real numbers. This can be done by solving the equation for W and demonstrating that the solutions are real numbers.

2. What is the equation used to prove that W is real-valued?

The equation used to prove that W is real-valued is typically a mathematical expression involving variables and constants, and possibly some operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

3. What does it mean for W to be real-valued?

A real-valued variable, such as W, can take on any real number as its value. This means that W is not limited to only whole numbers, but can also include decimals and fractions.

4. Can you provide an example of proving W is real-valued?

Yes, for example, if we have the equation W = 2x + 3, we can solve for W by plugging in any real number for x. For instance, if x = 5, then W = 2(5) + 3 = 13. This demonstrates that W can take on any real value.

5. Why is it important to prove that W is real-valued?

Proving that W is real-valued is important because it allows us to confidently use W in mathematical calculations and applications. It also helps us understand the properties and behaviors of W as a real-valued variable.