1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

%w/v to pH

1. Apr 7, 2015 #1
    Hi. I would like to ask help on what is the equivalent of % w/v to pH?
    Say for example: What is the pH of 4% w/v?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your question is a little vague. o_O

In any even, pH is based on the activity of hydrogen ions in an aqueous solution:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PH

As can be seen from this article, different materials in solution have different pH values. The pH of pure water is defined as 7. A pH value less than 7 indicates an acid, while a pH value greater than 7 indicates a base.

4. Apr 7, 2015 #3
    %w/v is the acetic acid concentration in an acidic solution, vinegar, and that is the "unit" used when you are titrating the solution. Now I want to use a pH meter but I don not know what is the equivalent in pH of 4% w/v or even how to derive it. I need an "accepted" pH of vinegar to see if my vinegar conforms to the set standards.

5. Apr 7, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

According to this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetic_acid

a 1.0 M solution of acetic acid (about the strength of household vinegar) has a pH of about 2.4. I have no idea if a 1.0 M solution is equivalent to 4% w/v for the acetic acid in vinegar. :sorry:

6. Apr 7, 2015 #5
    thanks. :smile:
    I'm thinking that if there is a way to convert %w/v to mole, the pH can be calculated but I don't know how and I did several researches but got no answer...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook