Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wacky change of variables for Multi integration

1. Apr 18, 2004 #1
    Wacky change of variables for Multi integration!!!

Arghh im having diffiiculty with these problems.
    I am having difficulty mastering the LaTeX form--- (things like how to make a double integral etc) so

if you look at this site

and look at page 1040 in the text (ch 15.9) the problem in question is number 14...

I am having a really tough time rewriting the integrand in u,v form with the given transformation. Perhaps there was a mistake in my algebra--- but what would be the way to go about doing this?

and also for number 20... would the proper transformation be u = x+y and v = x^2 - y^2 ? Or would something else work better.

Again I apologize for posting a link--- I promise I will take the time to learn LaTeX before I post--- I just have a tough time with Change Of Variables overall.

Thanks for all your help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2004 #2
    Oops, make that Page 1048, not 1040---
  4. Apr 18, 2004 #3
    haha nm i figured out 20--- its better to expand the x^2 - y^2 .... makes life good.
  5. Apr 18, 2004 #4
    For #14, I get the intermediate integral

[tex]2\int_R(u^2 + v^2) \frac{\partial (x,y)}{\partial (u,v)} \, dA[/tex]
    [tex]R: \quad u^2 + v^2 = 1[/tex]

Which can then be changed into polar coordinates to be evaluated.

For #20, I'd try the substitutions u = x + y and v = x - y.

6. Apr 18, 2004 #5
    Wow thanks cookie I got it! The integrand turns out nicely coz the region is a simple circle--- and easily evaluated using polor coordinates!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?