Waffling metaphors and waving strings

• Thread starter DiracPool
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strings
In summary, the concept of extra dimensions is a well-established and necessary framework in physics, supported by mathematical and experimental evidence.
DiracPool
I just watched this video on sixty symbols and it reminded me of that Brian Greene elegant universe series where the idea is that extra dimensions are wrapped up in a 10 degree spiral regression of twists and turns into smaller realms. The example in the above videos being something that is perceptually a line at one distance, but is actually a cylinder at closer inspection, etc.

Is this a good metaphor? Dont we have classical concepts that account for these perceptual anomalies such as scale variance and invariance in space and time? Do we really need the concept of extra dimensions to tell me that a 2-D billboard I see from a few miles down the road actually has a thickness to it that I see when I drive past it? It sounds almost absurd that that is the best they got, so to speak, to explain this to the lay public.

I'm sure the null response is going to be that the mathematics is sound. However, when you're arguing a point from 16 orders of magnitude smaller than can actually be verified, and you're using 7 extra "phantom" dimensions to do that, it seems very suspect.

I mean, I can create a phantom universe and make the math come out exactly the way I want, trust me, how is this string, or "M" theory any different? Convince me, please, I want to be a believer!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the concept of extra dimensions and its use in explaining perceptual anomalies. I can understand your skepticism and desire for more convincing evidence.

Firstly, I would like to clarify that the concept of extra dimensions is not just a metaphor, but a well-established theoretical framework in physics. It is used to explain phenomena that cannot be accounted for by our current understanding of the universe. This includes the behavior of subatomic particles and the unification of fundamental forces.

As for the example of a 2-D billboard appearing as a 3-D object at a closer distance, this is not just a matter of scale variance or invariance. In fact, it is the result of light bending and interacting with the surface of the billboard in a way that creates the illusion of depth. This is a well-known phenomenon in optics and does not require the concept of extra dimensions to explain.

However, in other areas of physics, such as in string theory and M-theory, the concept of extra dimensions is necessary to explain certain observed phenomena. These theories have been extensively studied and are supported by mathematical equations and experimental evidence.

I understand your concern about the use of 16 orders of magnitude and 7 extra dimensions in these theories. However, it is important to note that these concepts are not just arbitrarily chosen to fit the desired outcome. They are the result of rigorous mathematical calculations and are constantly being tested and refined through experiments.

As scientists, our goal is not to blindly believe in a theory, but to constantly question and test it in order to gain a better understanding of the universe. I encourage you to continue to ask questions and seek evidence, as that is the essence of scientific inquiry.

Thank you for your interest in this topic and I hope this response has provided some clarity.

1. What are waffling metaphors and waving strings?

Waffling metaphors and waving strings are figurative language techniques used to add depth and emotion to written or spoken language. Waffling metaphors are phrases or comparisons that are not meant to be taken literally, but rather to convey a deeper meaning or feeling. Waving strings, on the other hand, refer to using descriptive or expressive language to create a sense of movement or flow in writing.

2. How are waffling metaphors and waving strings used in scientific writing?

In scientific writing, waffling metaphors and waving strings are often used to make complex concepts more relatable and engaging for readers. They can also be used to describe abstract or intangible ideas in a more tangible and visual way.

3. Are waffling metaphors and waving strings considered appropriate in scientific writing?

While the use of figurative language can add creativity and interest to scientific writing, it is important to use them sparingly and appropriately. In general, it is best to stick to more objective and concise language in scientific writing to ensure clarity and accuracy.

4. Can waffling metaphors and waving strings be used in scientific research papers?

Yes, waffling metaphors and waving strings can be used in scientific research papers, but it is important to use them in moderation and to ensure they do not detract from the overall scientific content and accuracy of the paper. It is also important to follow any specific guidelines or requirements set by the journal or publication for which the paper is intended.

5. How can I improve my use of waffling metaphors and waving strings in scientific writing?

To improve your use of waffling metaphors and waving strings in scientific writing, it is important to read and analyze examples from reputable publications. Additionally, it can be helpful to seek feedback from colleagues or mentors in the scientific community to ensure that the use of figurative language enhances rather than hinders your writing.