1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wages for Computer Aided Drafting

1. May 11, 2010 #1
    A friend of mine owns a business designing and machining custom parts for guns and special industries. Up to this point all of his designs are hand sketches. He wants to be able to electronicall document his designs so that he does not have to search for his hand sketches every time a customer asks him to reproduce the part. He has come to me asking for help either teaching him to use Solidworks to generate drawings or having me take his sketches and draw them in Solidworks.

I had a one year internship where I used Solidworks on a daily basis. I also used Solidworks throughout 5 years of college to document project design. On a scale of 1-10 (poor to excellent skills) I would rate my proficiency to use Solidowrks at a 7. I currently work for a manufacturing company as a design engineer where I use pro/e to generate drawings for manufacturing. Laying all this out, I have experience drafting.

1) How much should I charge to tutor my friend to use Solidworks? I typically charge $20-$30 when tutoring high school and college students in mathematics and engineeing. Should I charge in the same range?

2) How much should I charge to do the drawings myself? Since I have a full-time job I do not have to worry about insurance. However, I do have to think about taxes. I was looking online at payscale .com and the national range in wages is $13.25-$19.58.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted