Preparing for the Next Big CME: Detection and Mitigation Strategies

• Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date
In summary, a Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) has the potential to cause major disruptions on Earth if it slips past our magnetic field defense. This can lead to a full blackstart for the electric grid and major damage to GPS and communication satellites. There is a need for investment in backup systems, such as the Pony Express, to ensure safety of personal electronics. Additionally, there is a concern about the availability of replacement transformers in the event of a CME. The Inouye observatory is currently the only facility capable of early detection of CMEs, but there is a potential 12-hour gap in detection. The loss of a significant portion of the grid for more than a few days could result in a crisis as most
Physics news on Phys.org
Yup. One consequence is a required full blackstart for the electric grid - after the shower is over. The last bad one, a direct X-level CME, was was in 1859. Nee the Carrington Event:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrington_Event

GPS and comsat would take a major hit.

We should invest in the Pony Express.

Likes Vanadium 50
Some years ago I read that power companies keep only a few replacement transformers like the ones in the substations and that it took about six months to deliver a new transformer. I do not know if that is still true.

Likes jedishrfu
gleem said:
Some years ago I read that power companies keep only a few replacement transformers like the ones in the substations and that it took about six months to deliver a new transformer. I do not know if that is still true.
Given the current supply chain issues, I imagine there will be major problems in getting things back up Especially with the recent developments with China and the rest of the world.

Are there any other facilities besides the Inouye observatory capable of early detection of CMEs? If not is there thus a 12 hour period when it cannot detect CME activity? If true the 18 hrs warning drops to 6 hours.
I seems to me that loosing a substantial part of the grid for more that a few days amount of time will result in a situation that most people are ill prepared to deal with.

What is a CME flare?

A CME (coronal mass ejection) flare is a large release of plasma and magnetic field from the sun's corona. This can cause disruptions in Earth's magnetic field and potentially impact technological systems.

When do scientists predict the next big CME flare?

Scientists cannot accurately predict when a CME flare will occur. However, they can monitor the sun for potential signs, such as sunspot activity and coronal holes, which may indicate an increased likelihood of a CME flare.

How can a CME flare affect Earth?

A CME flare can cause disruptions in Earth's magnetic field, which can lead to power outages, communication disruptions, and satellite malfunctions. It can also create beautiful auroras in the sky.

What measures are in place to protect against a CME flare?

There are several measures in place to protect against a CME flare, such as early warning systems for power grids, communication networks, and satellite operators. Spacecraft and satellites are also designed to withstand the effects of a CME flare.

Is there a possibility of a catastrophic CME flare?

While CME flares can have significant impacts on Earth, there is no evidence to suggest that they can cause catastrophic events. Scientists continue to monitor the sun and improve our understanding of CME flares to better prepare for potential impacts.