Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waking up in pain and TMI

1. Nov 21, 2007 #1

Gold Member

In the last month or so, I have been waking up with my kidney area painfully stiff. This is not the same kind of pain I might get after straining my back during a day of heavy lifting. It feels like I've spent the night bent over backwards, as if I am on my belly but with several pillows under my head. (I only sleep with one pillow.)

The pain goes away quickly enough - after just a half hour or so as I go about my day. Itr's not a deep pulle dmuscle kind of pain, though it is still quite difficult to move for the morning.

When I was young I slept on my back. When I got married, the snoring became a problem and I got used to sleeping on my side/belly. I've lately swtiched back to sleeping on my back as that seems to go a long way toward waking up without pain.

The one thing that's changed in the last few months is that I've gained ten pounds, which accumulates around my belly.

It's no surprise that gaining weight would cause back pain, I'm just trying to figure out why my back would get stiff when I'm sleeping on my belly.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

Maybe it's time for a new mattress!
  4. Nov 21, 2007 #3

Staff: Mentor

Dave, have you had a physical?
  5. Nov 21, 2007 #4
    stewart may be right. My leg has been hurting for the last 3 days because of my mattress
  6. Nov 21, 2007 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you still snore? Maybe your back is sore because your wife is kicking you at night to wake you up and stop the snoring. :uhh: :biggrin:
  7. Nov 21, 2007 #6

Gold Member

Yeah. I sleep like a log on hard mattresses. I'vce been bugging my wife for something new. I'll bug her more.

Why? You available? :biggrin:

I get a checkup every year or so. I got a sleep study done just ten months ago...

Heh. No, what she does is bounce. But I'll check that with her. Somehow...
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  8. Nov 21, 2007 #7
    I don't think 10lbs of weight gain would cause a significant difference.
  9. Nov 21, 2007 #8

Gold Member

One would think not, but surprisingly, it does, and in surprising ways. For example, a mere ten pounds weight gain will make the differnece between tolerable snoring and waking-the-dead snoring. Kind of a nasty circle, isn't it?
  10. Nov 21, 2007 #9

Hahaha :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?