Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wal-Mart is the logic of capitalism

1. Dec 17, 2005 #1
    Wal-Mart is the logic of capitalism

“X is a” is a way of expressing the metaphor, “X” the unknown is “a” the known. ‘X is a’ is the way we say ‘X’ can be understood by recognizing that the unknown reality is much like ‘a’ the known reality. Metaphor—a figure of speech in which a word or phrase literally denoting one kind of object or idea is used in place of another to suggest a likeness or analogy between them.

‘Logic’ is a word with more than one meaning and can be confusing. Most people seem to use the word to mean the domain of knowledge connected with syllogism and fallacies but ‘logic’ can also mean the principles of any domain of knowledge. To be clearer in some uses one might use the metaphor ‘logic is grammar’.

When I say ‘Wal-Mart is the logic of capitalism’. I mean ‘Wal-Mart is the grammar of capitalism’. Also I mean that Wal-Mart has become what the principles of capitalism could be expected to produce if the principles of capitalism are extended to their logical conclusions.

I suspect that Globalism is the grammar of capitalism. Consumerism is the grammar of capitalism.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2005 #2
    seems pre-destined, doesn't it coberst?
    i have the intuition that it must occur in such a way for people to learn; most need to be force-fed as they do not find importance nor do they have the willingness to self-learn.
    it seems that the world-at-large will not learn about consequence until consequence hits them right in the face, and they are taken aback or knocked out cold.
    sometimes consequence hits the family members and one begins to see.
    sometimes consequence hits friends and one begins to see (or at least consider)

it is much easier, seemingly (which is foolishness and self-lying and ignorance), to ignore consequence and carry on in the familiar way, without paying regard to the nature of consequence.

understanding the nature of consequence is the reason why we have the concept of karma.

because action is karma is. karma is action. consequence is karma.
  4. Dec 18, 2005 #3
    Talking about consequences--I have been reading McLuhan's "Understanding Media". His book is filled with the consequences he sees resulting from technology. I find his ideas to be fascinating but very difficult to understand because he offers such insights that are far beyond what we normally even think about.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?