Would You Buy Walgreens' Big Flats Beer for Just $1 a Can?

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beer
In summary, the new beer from Walgreens, "Big Flats" is brewed by the same company involved with Trader Joe's, and is bland and low quality. Although it is cheaper than other brands, I would not buy it.
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd try a can.

Since the beer was recently introduced, why slap a date of 1901 in the middle? This is a huge marketing scam. Reminds of Alaskan Spring bottled water brand that got their water directly from tap water in Texas.

dlgoff said:
Individual cans for a buck. $2.99 for a six-pack. Would you buy it?
Probably not. That reminds me of low quality beer like Texas Pride and others. I wouldn't drink Coors, Budweiser or Miller, or any other commercial brand.

I prefer quality beer - mostly Belgian (Trappiste) Ales, Porters and Stouts.

Astronuc said:
I prefer quality beer - mostly Belgian (Trappiste) Ales, Porters and Stouts.
:approve:

dlgoff said:
Individual cans for a buck. $2.99 for a six-pack. Would you buy it?

Cheaper than Pabst and Rolling Rock? Why wouldn't I? It can only be bad, and even bad beer is better than no beer at all!

Evo said:
I'd try a can.

FlexGunship said:
Cheaper than Pabst and Rolling Rock? Why wouldn't I? It can only be bad, and even bad beer is better than no beer at all!
When this bad weather is out of here and I'm able to get to a Walgreens, I'm going to give it a try.

dlgoff said:
When this bad weather is out of here and I'm able to get to a Walgreens, I'm going to give it a try.

If you decide to survive drinking it, report back to us!

It somehow reminds me of Schaefer Beer - "Schaefer is the one beer to have when you're having more than one."

Vanadium 50 said:
It somehow reminds me of Schaefer Beer - "Schaefer is the one beer to have when you're having more than one."
Yea. A cheap drunk. :redface:

Heck for $2.99 a 6 pack, I'm renting a van and backing it up to Walgreens. After the first few, it doesn't matter as much.

The beer is brewed by Genesee in Rochester, NY,

Unless Big Flats is somehow magically a LOT better than Genesee's other offerings, I don't think I'd waste any money on it. Their stuff is bland.

turbo-1 said:
Unless Big Flats is somehow magically a LOT better than Genesee's other offerings, I don't think I'd waste any money on it. Their stuff is bland.
Yeah, I don't have great memories of Genesee, now i have to try a can. Walgreens can sell liquor in MO, I believe, so that's about 3 miles away.

turbo-1 said:

Yes... bland. Unlike other beers at the same price point.

Wow... 3.00 for a 6 pack... now your entire extended family can get raging drunk for next to nothing!

How much for a new liver?

nismaratwork said:
How much for a new liver?
Well. Walgreen's can help with that also. :tongue2:

FlexGunship said:
Yes... bland. Unlike other beers at the same price point.
The same company involved with Walgreens handles Trader Joe's also.

Evo said:
Heck for $2.99 a 6 pack, I'm renting a van and backing it up to Walgreens. After the first few, it doesn't matter as much.

The beer is brewed by Genesee in Rochester, NY,

Evo said:
Yeah, I don't have great memories of Genesee, now i have to try a can. Walgreens can sell liquor in MO, I believe, so that's about 3 miles away.
Nooooooooooooo! Don't do it!

Guessing its an American Light Lager, mostly like virtually identical to Budweiser's or Coor's.
Despite that, I would try a can to see.

As others mentioned, I prefer quality beer, and I brew my own so don't often buy any, just the grains and hops to brew.

Insanity said:
Guessing its an American Light Lager, mostly like virtually identical to Budweiser's or Coor's.
Despite that, I would try a can to see.
Another brave member. :smile:

Wait... why would you call your beer, "flats"? I mean, flat and "beer" aren't the two things I'd want together, just from a marketing standpoint.

@Insanity: To drink, or as engine degreaser?

Evo said:
Well. Walgreen's can help with that also. :tongue2:

...And people worry about one-stop shopping. It's a gift I tell you! Go in for some beer, get a little dialysis... some more beer. :wink:

You know, they could market a six pack - one decent beer to drink first, and then five of these.

Vanadium 50 said:
You know, they could market a six pack - one decent beer to drink first, and then five of these.

So... kind of Russian Roulette with bad odds, and beer?

vanadium 50 said:
you know, they could market a six pack - one decent beer to drink first, and then five of these.
lol.

That would be a fantastic way to convince someone that they had a warped sense of taste actually. Everyone sips their beer, 5 spit it out in disgust... one loves it. The other five sip the one "good" beer, and act as though that's disgusting too, until the 'good beer' guy loses his mind and kills the rest with an axe.

You know... good times.

I think the target audience is Joe Sixpack.

Or maybe Joe "case o' suds" with that $11.49/case pricing.

Man... if the only point of drinking this beer is, presumably, to be intoxicated... why not just take shots of highly refined vodka, minimize the damage and titrate more effectively?

I always though the idea with even inexpensive beer was more to do with the taste than getting trashed, but I'm getting the idea that I'm way off base here.

@Turbo-1: 12 bucks a case... I think I'd rather drink warm gin.

turbo-1 said:
Or maybe Joe "case o' suds" with that $11.49/case pricing.

Only a little less expensive than the case of PBR returnables we would buy before every band practice in college... Every other week bring in the empties and grab a free case with the deposits! Ahh... back in the day...

I still like a nice cold Pabst every once in a while. Now that I have the money, nice craft beers are more in line with my palette. My motto is "Life is too short to drink bad beer." Define bad beer per your own taste.

Walgreens brand beer... no thanks.

Walgreens's Big Flats is a not-a-beer.

Astronuc said:
Walgreens's Big Flats is a not-a-beer.

Ahhh... OK, so this is to beer as this new report indicates Taco Bell's meat is to beef. Yes, it's loosely associated, but only in the basest sense.

By the way, Walgreens isn't Wal-Mart... is it like Wal-Mart? I don't think I've ever seen one, and when I looked online and realized I had been thinking, "Wal-Mart"... *shrug*.

nismaratwork said:
Ahhh... OK, so this is to beer as this new report indicates Taco Bell's meat is to beef. Yes, it's loosely associated, but only in the basest sense.
I love Taco Bell "meat". Now that I know what's in it, no wonder I can never duplicate the taste at home. <sigh>

I just wish they'd leave that nasty rice out of everything.

nismaratwork said:
@Insanity: To drink, or as engine degreaser?

try a small sample, then probably water the planets with it.

Evo said:
I love Taco Bell "meat". Now that I know what's in it, no wonder I can never duplicate the taste at home. <sigh>

I just wish they'd leave that nasty rice out of everything.

Hmmm... you might enjoy some of the higher-end Japanese ramen bowls; the good ones have TVP which sounds nasty, but really it tastes very good.

My first experience with a Taco Bell was many years ago: I ordered a taco, and a young woman took a taco shell, and then got TWO CAULKING GUNS.

One with bean-paste, which she layed down as a base, on which the "meat" was placed. The other had sour cream. I tossed that sucker without tasting it... I've seen food made with more care in Indian slums!

By the way... "autolyzed yeast"... I loved that. I wonder how many people realize that means a large portion of taco bell meat = Vegemite base. :rofl: