Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Walking Ghost Caught On Tape?

1. Jun 23, 2006 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Check out the video on this page. It's pretty creepy.:bugeye:
    http://wusa9.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=50214&provider=top

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2006 #2
  4. Jun 23, 2006 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hmmm.. I found this in their help file:

STREAMING VIDEO HELP CENTER
    Why can I not see video?
    First, are you certain that you have Windows Media Player installed? If not, click here. Otherwise, if you're not seeing our videos, you likely have Norton Internet Security installed. This software's Ad Blocking feature by default is activated. To view videos at WUSA9.com and other major websites as they were designed, you must disable Ad Blocking. In the main window of Norton Internet Security, on the left side click Norton AntiSpam. Click Ad Blocking > Turn Off. Relaunch the video you'd like to view on WUSA9.com.

What video formats do you offer?
    WUSA9.com offers streaming video in Windows Media (.wmv) and vodcasting files in QuickTime (.mov).

Why don't your videos play on my Mac?
    Our videos have been tested on PCs and Macs. Likely, you have Norton Ad Blocking installed or another form of Ad Blocking software. Either disable this feature or approve WUSA9.com as an approved site.

5. Jun 23, 2006 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you try the "Launch external player" link?

6. Jun 23, 2006 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't make heads nor tails of the video. The so-called investigator never seems to move, but the background moves all around him/her. Seems fishy. Perhaps the moving figure is the investigator and the unmoving one is something edited into the video? Why does the video start out black and white and grainy, then turn very white, then red at the end? The moving figure doesn't look any more transparent than the walls or that giant cross on the right. I think that's just an artifact of however they were filming.

7. Jun 23, 2006 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is a notable NASA video from the STS-75 shuttle mission during which a long tether broke and floated away from the craft. Linked below are a few frames from the video which seem to show a circular object passing behind the tether.
    http://www.anomalies.net/ufo/nasaufo/sts75/images.htm

The tether was twelve miles long and about eighty miles away at this point. As you might imagine, the sight of objects of such a relative size passing behind the tether got a few people pretty worked up, but it was an artifact of the CCD camera used. The circular objects are really small particles very close to the camera. They only seem to pass behind the tether because of the way the camera stores information.

Your ghost video was apparently taken at very low light levels. I would bet that this is ultimately what causes the seeming transparency of the person seen walking. Perhaps something like residual charges on the CCD array are causing the ghost images of the background objects when the person walks in front of them.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  8. Jun 24, 2006 #7
    Yes and WMP said to connect to the internet:grumpy:
    I even tried IE7. I don't use Norton for Antivirus or anything but will check my NOD32 for ad blockers too.
    I think I will boot up my old pc and see if I can open it there.

9. Jun 24, 2006 #8
    I saw the video and agree with Moonbear. It sure was hard to see much of anything. The first time I watched it I thought it looked like a guy with a hooded sweatshirt but the next few times I watched it I couldn't see much.

10. Jun 25, 2006 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It looked very creepy to me. But then again I'm extra spook-able. The way the figure moved was peculiar. He seemed to be staggering, like he was carrying something heavy.

11. Jun 25, 2006 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

What I want to know is why the timeline is sped up 2 or 3x. It might be because they were filming at a low frame rate to save film/HD space, but it wouldb e nice to see the clip with the speed normalized. That would remove some of the "creepiness" element.

Haha, after all the attempts to obscure the identity of the still figure, she is visible in the last frame of the video!

12. Jul 8, 2006 #11
    Wow, that's one drunk ghost!

13. Jul 12, 2006 #12
    Windows Media Player cannot play this file. Connect to the Internet or insert the removable media on which the file is located, and then try to play the file again.

I get this, after following the external viewer link, obviously this site needs to have certain security settings deactivated, since I can't do that from here I may try it later from home, anyway I'm always dubious of websites that have these sorts of conditions, might be worth the effort though?

14. Jul 12, 2006 #13

everyything that I have read about STS-75 suggests that the motions are inconsistant with ice particles [acceleration and vector changes inconsistant with the motion of the shuttle or it's manoevering thrusters]- and the camera could not pick up near particles when it was focused out at maximum looking at the tether- so the objects MUST be very large and remain unidentified- at least that is the most recent conclusion I have seen on the matter

15. Jul 12, 2006 #14
    It is interesting to see that most ghost videos are in very low quality (or none for that matter). It would be pretty easy to add that "shadow" to the film even for a high-school student with the right software.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?