Solving Problems Involving Dog Walking on a Boat

• Thread starter KKazaniecki
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boat
In summary: The right end of the boat moves L/(H+1) distance away from the dock.In summary, the dog gets L/(1+H) distance close to the dock, while the boat moves L/(H+1) distance away from the dock. This is because the boat is H times heavier than the dog, so the dog's movement causes the boat to move 1/H times as much in the opposite direction. This problem can be approached by considering the movement of the center of mass and the relative movement between the boat and the dog.
KKazaniecki
hi all, here's the problem
"A dog sits on the left end of a boat of length L that is initially adjacent to a dock to its right. The dog then runs toward the dock, but stops at the end of the boat. If the boat is H times heavier than the dog, how close does the dog get to the dock?

Ignore any drag force from the water. "

So, on the internet I found the answer that it's L/(1+H) but it didn't provide any explanation

could someone help me understand how to approach problems like this. Basically I'm really stuck on problems like " walking on a block on a friction less surface " . So I know it's got something to do with the fact that the Center of Mass doesn't change position, only the block ( boat in that case ) and the object moving( dog). Could someone help me out with this ? thank you so much if you do :)

Physics news on Phys.org
KKazaniecki said:
hi all, here's the problem
"A dog sits on the left end of a boat of length L that is initially adjacent to a dock to its right. The dog then runs toward the dock, but stops at the end of the boat. If the boat is H times heavier than the dog, how close does the dog get to the dock?

Ignore any drag force from the water. "

So, on the internet I found the answer that it's L/(1+H) but it didn't provide any explanation

could someone help me understand how to approach problems like this. Basically I'm really stuck on problems like " walking on a block on a friction less surface " . So I know it's got something to do with the fact that the Center of Mass doesn't change position, only the block ( boat in that case ) and the object moving( dog). Could someone help me out with this ? thank you so much if you do :)

If the dog moves 1 unit distance to the right, the boat beneath his feet must move 1/H unit distance to the left to keep the center of gravity at the same place. The net movement of the dog relative to the boat is 1+1/H. The net movement of the boat relative to the water is 1/H.

Express this ratio as boat movement (relative to dock) divided by dog movement (relative to boat)

[itex]\frac {\frac {1} {H}}{1 + \frac {1}{H}} [/itex] = [itex]\frac {\frac {1} {H} }{\frac{H}{H} + \frac {1}{H}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac {\frac {1} {H} }{\frac{H + 1}{H}} [/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{H+1}[/itex]

If the dog moves distance L from the left end of the boat to the right, how far does the right end of the boat move away from the dock?

1. How do you keep a dog safe while walking on a boat?

In order to keep a dog safe while walking on a boat, it is important to provide them with a life jacket and leash at all times. It is also recommended to train the dog to follow specific commands and to start with short walks to get them used to the motion of the boat.

2. What should I do if my dog falls overboard while walking on a boat?

If your dog falls overboard while walking on a boat, it is important to stay calm and call out to them using a command they are familiar with. If possible, throw a life ring or floatation device towards them. If the dog is unable to swim, carefully use a boat hook or other long object to bring them back to the boat.

3. What are some safety precautions to take when walking a dog on a boat?

Some safety precautions to take when walking a dog on a boat include keeping them on a leash at all times, providing them with a life jacket, and making sure they are well-trained and follow commands. It is also important to be aware of the weather conditions and potential hazards in the water.

4. How do you train a dog to walk on a boat?

Training a dog to walk on a boat involves introducing them to the boat slowly and in a calm manner. Start with short walks and gradually increase the duration as the dog becomes more comfortable. It is also important to teach them basic commands and ensure they are able to balance and navigate the boat safely.

5. Are there any specific breeds of dogs that are better suited for walking on a boat?

There are no specific breeds of dogs that are better suited for walking on a boat, as it ultimately depends on the individual dog's temperament, training, and comfort level with water. However, breeds that are known for their strong swimming abilities, such as Labrador Retrievers and Golden Retrievers, may adapt more easily to walking on a boat.