1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Walking on the moon

1. Jan 31, 2008 #1
    During a walk on the Moon, an astronaut accidentally drops his camera over a 14.7 m cliff. It leaves his hands with zero speed, and after 2.2 s it has attained a velocity of 3.3 m/s downward. How far has the camera fallen after 4.3 s?

I am so lost! I have no idea what to do! I would appreciate any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2008 #2
    First you have to calculate (or search) the gravity acceleration on the Moon:

g = G.M/R^2 (G: gravitational constant, M, R are the mass and radius of the Moon)

Then everything is straight forward.

4. Jan 31, 2008 #3
    then would i just multiply that answer by 4.3 for the time?

5. Jan 31, 2008 #4
    With the information he was given, the following formula is better:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torricelli's_equation

Vy^2 = Vy0^2 + 2aD

Where: Vy is the final speed, Vy0 is the initial speed, a is the acceleration, D is displacement. a is the only unknown, so this should be fairly simple.

6. Jan 31, 2008 #5
    I am trying to find how far it has fallen. I assume the final speed is the 3.3m/s stated in the problem and the initial is 0m/s. The acceleration on the moon that I figured out from this equation was 1.6256. So should I solve for the displacement? I am so frustrated. I have been working on this since 6 o'clock and I only have half the assignment done.

7. Jan 31, 2008 #6
    Woops, I'm sorry, I thought you had the displacement from the first 2.2s...

With the only known information being the variation of speed and time, you should use:

Vy = Vy0 + a.t

Where t is time. With the moon gravity obtained (which must be negative, make sure you get the signs right, and I got -1.5m/s), you have to use another equation:

x = x0 + v0.t + 1/2.a.t^2

Where x0 and x are initial and final position, respectively. You should be able to do this now. Now the exercise asks for the position at 4.3s. Solve for x, and make x0 = 14.7m.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?