WALKING ON WATER? any theories how

In summary: Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 is about a future in which books are burned because people are no longer interested in reading them.In summary, Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 is about a future in which books are burned because people are no longer interested in reading them.
jimmy1200
well there are many stories of human beings being able to do things that we would only think are in our favorite comic books but let's focus on walking on water. from jesus to the monk of tibet, there are lots of stories about human beings walking on water, so is there any theory as to how this may be accomplished.

of course this would have to deal with electrostatic forces and what not, and we know that the body produces an electromagnetic field, so any theories on how these human beings could have possibly walked on water.

Physics news on Phys.org
Water-walking shoes conspicuous in their absence?

jimmy1200 said:
from jesus to the monk of tibet, there are lots of stories about human beings walking on water, so is there any theory as to how this may be accomplished.

of course this would have to deal with electrostatic forces and what not
If it could be done in special circumstances, don't you think some enterprising person would have, by now, developed water-walking shoes to extend the capability to more general circumstances?

Last edited:
I saw something on this a while back. They tried to apply the methods used by a certain type of lizard that can run across water. They gave a man some large flat pads to put on his feet to increase their surface area, and towed him along the back of a boat to give him the speed he needed. Turns out we are not capable of applying the amount of force nessecary to stay above the surface.

As for your electrostatic force idea: the force we generate is minimal and couldn't be utilised in that way.

I've walked on water several times in my life. Nothing magical about it, it only needs to be pretty cold for a few days. As for walking on liquid water you'd need some big blocks of foam that are long, or maybe something like long thin canoes on each foot. You'd shuffle along to move. Or if you only weighed a few grams surface tension could hold you up. Barring anti-gravity this last one isn't going to happen.

SkepticJ said:
Or if you only weighed a few grams surface tension could hold you up. Barring anti-gravity this last one isn't going to happen.
Plus, it seems that even if surface tension were high enough, one might easily slip and fall.

This looks more like a thread for the debunking forum than biology.

Walking on water is for kids - try swimming on land.

If you had loads of cornflour...

I think you'll find that's the 'walking on cornflour' thread.

I stepped in a puddle the other day. Does this count?

Hi,

Rocks just below the surface of the water and invisible to onlookers,

juju

At the end of Being There, Peter Sellers apparently walks on water. As far as I remember this was achieved by having a glass table just beneath the surface.

I read a book on ninjas a while back, an actual account of their history and the tecniques and equipment they used. Among the equipment were "water walking shoes". Not something you could hide easily but definitely usable for getting across a moat or pond.

I think you'll find you want the 'Skiing for Jesus' thread.

Its' quite deep and yet simple -- it does not really matter whether exactly factual or not, it is an analogue -- that with Faith all things are possible --- but what you wish involves all of mankind and maybe of of life kind -- so you cannot be so impatient -- it's not just about YOU and your wishes even thou' they are heard , it is about all EVEN THE INANIMATE OBJECTS WHICH YOU DO NOT THINK ABOUT.
To me the worst 'sin' is arrogance -- thinking we are kings of our domain -- just thru' fear -- I am quite sure that ' Andromeda ' does not experience fear -- tis a Human foible.
Ray

1. How is it possible for someone to walk on water?

There are a few theories that attempt to explain this phenomenon. One theory suggests that the person is actually walking on a thin layer of ice that has formed on the surface of the water. Another theory proposes that the person is able to distribute their weight in a way that allows them to stay afloat on the water's surface. There are also some religious or spiritual beliefs that attribute the ability to walk on water to supernatural powers.

2. Can anyone learn to walk on water?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that anyone is capable of literally walking on water like Jesus is said to have done. However, there are some individuals who are able to perform this feat by using specialized equipment such as water shoes or boards that help distribute their weight on the water's surface. It is also possible to learn certain techniques, such as running or skipping across the water, that can give the illusion of walking on water.

3. Is there a specific technique or skill required to walk on water?

As mentioned before, there are certain techniques that can give the appearance of walking on water, such as running or skipping. However, as of now, there is no scientifically proven method for actually walking on water. Some people believe that it may require a combination of balance, weight distribution, and surface tension, but more research is needed to fully understand this phenomenon.

4. Are there any animals that can walk on water?

There are a few animals that are known to be able to walk on water, such as certain species of insects and reptiles. For example, the water strider insect uses its long, thin legs to distribute its weight and stay on the surface of the water. Some species of lizards, such as the basilisk lizard, can also run on water by using their wide feet and quick movements to create a small air pocket that helps them stay afloat.

5. Is walking on water dangerous?

Walking on water can be dangerous, especially if someone attempts to do so without proper equipment or training. There is a risk of falling into the water and potentially getting injured, especially if the water is deep or has a strong current. It is always important to take necessary precautions and to be aware of the conditions of the water before attempting to walk on it.