Walking Speed of a Dinosaur: How Does Leg Length Affect Natural Walking Pace?

• Thread starter AlonsoMcLaren
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the natural walking pace of a walking animal, such as a human, is determined by the length of the leg, measured from the hip to the foot. Fossil evidence shows that the walking speed of Tyrannosaurus rex, a two-legged dinosaur that lived about 65 million years ago at the end of the Cretaceous period, was 1.4 meters per second.
AlonsoMcLaren

Homework Statement

All walking animals, including humans, have a natural walking pace, a number of steps per minute that is more comfortable than a faster or slower pace. Suppose this natural pace is equal to the period of the leg, viewed as a uniform rod pivoted at the hip joint. A) How does the natural walking pace depend on the length L of the leg, measured from hip to foot? B) Fossil evidence shows that Tyrannosaurus rex, a two-legged dinosaur that lived about 65 million years ago at the end of the Cretaceous period, had a leg length L = 3.1 m and a stride length (the distance from one foot-print to the next print of the same foot ) S = 4.0 m. Estimate the walking speed of Tyrannosaurus rex.

Homework Equations

I=(m*L^2)/3
T=2*pi/w

The Attempt at a Solution

T=2*pi/w=2*pi/sqrt(Lmg/I)

I=(m*L^2)/3

T=pi*sqrt(4L/3g)=2.04s

v=s/T=4m/2.04s=1.96m/s

But the answer says that T=2pi*sqrt(2L/3g)=2.88s
v=s/T=4m/2.88s=1.4m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody?

you've said, you've seen the answer is T=2pi*sqrt(2L/3g), But you have used: T=2pi*sqrt(L/3g), so this is where the problem is. I guess the problem stems from the first line, where you seemed to use w=sqrt(Lmg/I), but this is not true (which is why you end up with an incorrect answer for the period of the motion).

BruceW said:
you've said, you've seen the answer is T=2pi*sqrt(2L/3g), But you have used: T=2pi*sqrt(L/3g), so this is where the problem is. I guess the problem stems from the first line, where you seemed to use w=sqrt(Lmg/I), but this is not true (which is why you end up with an incorrect answer for the period of the motion).

Why is w=sqrt(Lmg/I) incorrect?

That equation for the angular frequency is correct for a pendulum where there is a small bob on the end of a light, inextensible string. But in this question, the pendulum is a uniform rod. So that equation for the angular frequency is not correct.

Are you meant to derive the equation for the angular frequency of a pendulum made of a uniform rod? If not, you can guess what it is, since you've seen the answer. The rest of your working is correct, its just the angular frequency which was wrong.

1. What is the average walking speed of a dinosaur?

The average walking speed of a dinosaur varies depending on the species. Some dinosaurs, like the Tyrannosaurus Rex, had a walking speed of around 3-4 miles per hour, while others, like the Velociraptor, were much faster with a speed of 24-27 miles per hour.

2. How do scientists determine the walking speed of a dinosaur?

Scientists use various methods to estimate the walking speed of a dinosaur, including studying the anatomy of their legs and feet, analyzing trackways and footprints, and creating computer simulations based on their body structure.

3. Did all dinosaurs walk at the same speed?

No, not all dinosaurs walked at the same speed. The walking speed of a dinosaur was influenced by various factors such as their size, weight, and body structure. Some dinosaurs were adapted for fast running, while others were better suited for slower walking speeds.

4. How does the walking speed of a dinosaur compare to modern animals?

The walking speed of dinosaurs varied greatly, but on average, it was slower than most modern animals. For comparison, the average walking speed of a human is around 3-4 miles per hour, while a cheetah can reach speeds of up to 70 miles per hour.

5. Is the walking speed of a dinosaur related to its extinction?

No, the walking speed of a dinosaur did not play a significant role in their extinction. The extinction of dinosaurs was caused by a combination of factors, including a catastrophic event, climate change, and competition for resources with other species.