1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Walking through walls

1. Oct 7, 2006 #1

taylaron

Gold Member

i've got a question regarding matter passing through other matter (eg. walking through walls)

anyways, my idea is, that what if you came up with a device that was able to break the electromagnetic attraction between a group of atoms within a mass, then you were per-say to push through this mass by "stretching" the object around the forign one. using the repelling motion of electromagnetics to push the other matter away, this would significantly weaken the EM attraction between the object's atoms. i've read in other forums that you need a sertain frequency. that equivilant to the object your trying to pass through, but it would take almost an eternity before you reach that frequency. another idea, what if you were to be able to quicly "scan" through different frequencies (the matter is scanning) until you find that sertain one that corrisponds with the matter your trying to pass through. im a highschool student and i know that i should learn at least a significant ammount of knowledge on physics before i submit my own "theories" i know its probably impossible and i have a lot to learn still......
    what do you think? am i just some crazy kid with crazy ideas that he doesnt know what he is talking about.
    I appoligize for my spelling and grammar mistakes.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2006 #2
    anyways, my idea is, that what if you came up with a device that was able to break the electromagnetic attraction between a group of atoms within a mass

I can already do that. See that door over there? *yanks out shotgun and fires* voila!

4. Oct 8, 2006 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok, you do that. Let me know when you don't destroy the matter you're trying to pass through the wall, and the wall, because you have absolutely no way of putting the stuff back together properly

5. Oct 9, 2006 #4

taylaron

Gold Member

thays not my point

because you have absolutely no way of putting the stuff back together properly

thats not my point. im saying you stretch the EM attraction around this object. once your past those sertain atoms, they will simply gain more EM streingth because there is nothing pushing them appart further.
    im talking about a non explosive or distructive way to do this. not explosives

6. Oct 9, 2006 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The point is, once the molecular/atomic bonds are broken, one has a gas, and gases have pressure and low density. One would need a substantial force field to contain a solid which becomes a gas - probably a field generating a local tensile force equivalent to about 500 - 1000 atm.

EM fields can confine plasmas - ionized gases, but neutral atoms pass through magnetic and electric field lines.

7. Oct 10, 2006 #6

taylaron

Gold Member

thanks.you have "opened my eyes":surprised

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?