What is the concept of 'residual self image' in The Matrix?

• Writing: Input Wanted
  • Thread starter Cobul
  • Start date
In summary, sci-fi concepts about walking through walls after hearing accounts of numerous "alien abductees" reported being abducted and passing through walls or ceilings with the intruder goals to study their soul are based on dreams or hallucinations, as we know soul doesn't exist.
Cobul
I'm very fascinated with sci-fi concepts about walking through walls after hearing accounts of numerous "alien abductees" reported being abducted and passing through walls or ceilings with the intruder goals to study their soul. Of course we attribute it to dreaming or hallucinations because we know soul doesn't exist.

In the movie Jumper, they use wormholes as basis for teleportation. So I need a conceptual device for walking through walls short story.

Please enumerate all kinds of sci-fi flicks or fictional literature/comics/books where walking through walls or making objects pass through each other is mentioned, and what wacky principles do they base it on?

I learned even if you could cancel the electromagnetism in the wall, you can't maintain it's molecular stability, so you may as well use grenade launcher to destroy it but I want the object to be maintained. You can't use Pauli Principle cancellation either, because it would just create Antman or scenerios in "Honey, I shrank the kids".

So I want to see ideas similar along the following examples:

1. Phase shift the objects to make them pass through each other, what for you is phase shifting?

2. I read atoms are mostly empty space, so if you can cancel the electromagnetic attractions between nuclei and electrons and put some kind of force grid to maintain the nucleus distance, can objects pass through each other?

3. Wormhole between the opposite sides of the wall but this is lazy and too convenient.

4. What else are mentioned in the science fiction? What else can you think of to make objects pass through each other?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the Kung Fu TV show of the 70's, it begins with "It is said that the Shaolin can walk through walls..."
See

I'm watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows now because I read it has plots about teleportation or something like it. It seems teleportation could use similar principles as walking through walls?

As I searched in the internet for "walking through walls". I found this example. If these people were hallucinating, why don't they report about teleportations instead of just walking through walls which all of the rest were also reporting. I want to integrate the technology in my short story. I read in the reputable Boston Globe https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2...ramatically/qQ3zdBIc2tLAf3LVms8GLP/story.html

"DENISE STONER WAS 2½ years old the first time she remembers the alien taking her. She was at home in Hartford with her grandfather. Her mother was at the hospital giving birth to her younger sister. She remembers staring out a large picture window and seeing an egg-shaped object in the sky, hovering over some power lines. “What’s Humpty Dumpty doing up in the sky?” she asked. She remembers the fear in her grandfather’s face when he suggested it was time for bed.

Later that night, as she lay staring at her nursery rhyme-themed wallpaper, an entity walked through her wall. “He looked like a monk, he had a robe, and he was carrying a light. I wasn’t afraid of him,” she said. “He put out his other hand for me to take it, and I did. We walked out into the hallway.” The alien pointed his light at the wall, and they disappeared through it; she remembers being in a large, dome-shaped room with a lot of other children, and they seemed to be learning something. In the morning, she was back in her bed."

Why do these hallucinating folks only mentioned walking through walls, why not teleportation? But the thing about the "The alien pointed his light at the wall, and they disappeared through it" interests me. Can you give some science fiction ideas how the technology could do that? Is it not atoms are mostly empty space, so by perhaps the quantum gravity symmetry reforming light freezing electromagnetism field and maintaining the molecular stability or integrity, one could pass through walls? Give your wackiest ideas, creative team.

Last edited:
Dear creative team/model builders,

Let me focus on two questions so you can answer it better.

1. What must the ultimate framework be (or unification?) to make walking through walls possible?
2. Symmetry restoration and breaking involves high temperature like the electroweak temperature. What kind of symmetry breaking that occurs at low energy? Or shouldn't it be called symmetry breaking at all? Then what? Arxiv papers welcomed. Remember most concepts there exceed science fiction. I just want to have something to talk about in my story. Any input welcomed.

There is a theoretical concept that could enable you to walk through a wall. Here's an artist's impression:

1611476544229.png

• Haha
Likes Algr, russ_watters and Hamiltonian
After watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows. I got fascinated with portals too. Did anyone notice it has scenes much like when Loki opened up the portal in the sky in Avengers II?

So passing through walls can simply be opening portals 4 inches distance only.

About portals in generals. There are no laws in physics that forbid it. Is it not? We can treat General Relativity as only explaining a portion of the world, like only 50%. And we could say portals don't use the rule of General Relativity nor Quantum Mechanics. And these only explain 70% of the world. This is technically correct reasoning, no?

There’s Casper the friendly ghost. Walks through walls based on the fact that he is dead... friendly, but definitely DEAD.
D-E-A-D

• Haha
Likes Klystron
Cobul said:
1. What must the ultimate framework be (or unification?) to make walking through walls possible?
If anyone knew that, we would all be doing it! (No more admission price to Disneyland, you see. :eek:)

p.s. Downside is it would put all the lock manufacturers out of business

Likes Cobul
In the book "physics of superheroes" I think the author (James Kakalios) sarcastically states that the ability to pass through walls is due to the ability of someone to increase the probability of quantum tunneling. A friend of mine who read the book told e that, I haven't read it.

Likes Cobul
https://physicsworld.com/a/how-to-transform-bosons-into-fermions/

What would it take to transform fermions into bosons? I only found the opposite above. Would it only make Pauli Uncertainty Principle not valid and only shank the kids or produce Antman?

How do you turn atoms and molecules into bosons so you can pass through them like light able to pass through each other?

Cobul said:
https://physicsworld.com/a/how-to-transform-bosons-into-fermions/

What would it take to transform fermions into bosons? I only found the opposite above. Would it only make Pauli Uncertainty Principle not valid and only shank the kids or produce Antman?

How do you turn atoms and molecules into bosons so you can pass through them like light able to pass through each other?

Cooper pairing makes fermions like bosons. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_pair
This doesn't quite allow you to pass through them in the way you are thinking, but it is the basis of superconductivity.

There is also a mathematical trick called bosonization, but I think it only works in 1D. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosonization

Likes Cobul and PeroK
Cobul said:
I read atoms are mostly empty space
It depends on how you define empty space. If the space has a 50% probability of having an electron in it, is it empty?

Cobul said:
What would it take to transform fermions into bosons?
Protons, neutrons, and electrons are fermions, but helium atoms are bosons. And helium atoms can't pass through walls (well, not very quickly at least).

Cobul said:
What kind of symmetry breaking that occurs at low energy?
Water freezing is an example of low-energy symmetry breaking. I guess if you made the walls out of ice and then melted them, you could walk through them.

Cobul said:
...only shank the kids...
"Honey I Shank the Kids" is the incredibly dark final film in Rick Moranis's magnum opus.

Likes hutchphd and Cobul
Much philosophical science fiction, borrowing from 19th C. Spiritualism, regards walking through walls as a mental exercise not requiring a physics explanation. The hero stares at the wall and thinks themselves through to the other side. Sometimes a hole or portal penetrates the wall. Other times the hero makes themselves 'wispy' and passes through a solid wall.

Apportation refers to the fantasy of mentally moving an object by dematerializing it at one location and rematerializing it at a distance. The occultist or psychic uses the same fictional ability to apport themselves; through a wall and/or over great distances. Author Edgar Burroughs used apportation to move his characters from Earth to Barsoom and back again.

Belief remains very important in Spiritualism and the occult; affecting story lines in several ways. The practitioner beliefs the wall is not an impediment, or believes the wall does not exist, or thinks themselves as belonging on both sides of the wall where the other side of the wall gradually becomes reality. Actual science does not require faith or belief in favor of observation, measurement and comparison.

The SF comedy flick "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension" warns of the dangers of apporting or penetrating solid objects. This movie also demonstrates useful writing techniques such as every character knowing and admiring Buckaroo, the idea that many Buckaroo Banzai movies exist including prequels and sequels, and providing Buckaroo Banzai with a loyal dedicated team of heroes.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Cobul and BillTre
In sci-fi, phase shifting is objects passing through each other. What is the counterpart of phase shifting in the real world (which is stranger than science fiction)?

In Many Worlds, two objects can co-exists at same time, in different worlds, maybe it is called Unitary Phase Shifting?

In Multiverse, do the other worlds co-exist with ours or are they beyond the horizon 16 billion light years away (or in grain of sand)?

In Parallel World, do they co-exist with ours too?

By the way. There is no final proof unitarity in quantum mechanics is true.

A Scientific Use of Phase Properties (these properties are complexly detailed in the real world)
In Phase Contrast Microscopy, a beam of light is run through a specimen and then recombined with either an unaffect reference beam or an alternative slightly off set beam, to generate the viewed image.
This accentuates the differences imposed upon the part of the beam going through the specimen as it interacts with the different molecules and surfaces (with different optical properties) there, by contrasting it (through phase interference), with either the reference beam (showing a general difference of the specimen vs, background) or a slightly off-set beam going through adjacent areas of the specimen (this would show local differences, accentuating things like membranes).

I suppose one could argue that, if your were perfectly phased in a very complex way (to offset what want to go through), you could pass through the other object (two things, occupying the same place at the same time, because in some magical quantum way, they were anti-phase to each other, and therefore could be int the same place, at the same time.
It would have to be some intense control of the different "phase properties" of a random complex piece of matter, but it could be treated before hand to "allign" it in some way, to make it possible, inn a science fictiony way.

I think the best/simplest technobabble explanation for walking through walls would be to say that you are moving through a fourth spatial dimension and are thus actually going "over" the object rather then through it.

If you can walk through walls, you can also fall through the floor and end up in the center of the Earth. So if Earth's gravity does not reach into that fourth spatial dimension, it would reduce that risk.

PeroK said:
There is a theoretical concept that could enable you to walk through a wall. Here's an artist's impression:

1611476544229-png.png
!
One would need to give this concept a good acronym like "Coherent Rotational Electromagnetic Arrangement of Matter" and never reveal the details.

Cobul said:
In sci-fi, phase shifting is objects passing through each other. What is the counterpart of phase shifting in the real world (which is stranger than science fiction)?
Phase linear frequency shifts produce time shifts. Phase linear wavelength (wavenumber actually) shifts produce spatial shifts. Easy Peasy.

Likes Klystron
Can you share myths, legends, literature, etc. about walking through walls from ancient times to present? When I tried to look for them at the world wide web. All I could find were from the so called "aliens abductions".

Are there any mental or psychological illnesses where the victims reported about instances of walking through walls? Any in the mental institutions discussed about this? What is the mental disorder called?

I'm perflexed why all of the cases involved the "aliens" walking through walls, and not teleporting which is more convenient.

Rather than believing them that these reported intruders were studying human qualia which they allegedly never have. It is easier to believe it's either hallucinations or some kind of mental disorders because we know humans are mere machines and flesh and blood androids and there is nothing more to qualia.

This is from pbs or nova, a very good quality source:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/aliens/johnvelez.html

"NOVA: Have you ever had an experience where you remember trying to struggle or cry out? And if so, what happened?

VELEZ: Yes. There's two. I was taken from my bedroom one night. And I was being carried out of the house. And these beings have the ability to literally walk through walls, doors, solid objects. I don't know if it's some kind of a mechanism, or whatever it is. But they have the ability to pass through solid objects. And when we passed through the back wall of my house, I momentarily regained normal waking consciousness, and began to fight them with all the strength I had. And I was—I was in a pure state of pure panic and terror. And I was screaming at them: This is real! You guys are real! This is really happening! And one of the little guys I described—the ones with the robes, the little blue guys—reached over with what looked like a closed automobile antenna, and touched me on the forehead with it.

A blinding light went off. My whole body went limp and I was completely incapacitated. But for those few moments I was lucid and I fought. And they're very, very strong. I did not break away. I didn't manage to hurt them in any way. And then they have this human cattle prod that they use, that's a really effective toy."

What brain disorder could it be? Maybe hidden brain tumours? Any references in the mental institutions or in ancient myths, legends about walking through walls? I want to mention this in my story.

This topic I do think makes for good science fiction that could become a reality. In the early 70's it would have been very hard to predict that by 2020 many of us would have cell phones with video and computer capabilities, where somehow they are able to manufacture these with gigabytes of memory and crank them out like hotcakes. How they do it is beyond me. In contrast, walking through walls doesn't appear like it should be anywhere as difficult.

Algr said:
I think the best/simplest technobabble explanation for walking through walls would be to say that you are moving through a fourth spatial dimension and are thus actually going "over" the object rather then through it.
Cobul said:
Can you share myths, legends, literature, etc. about walking through walls from ancient times to present?

As @Algr points out, why walk through walls when one can skirt 'around' or 'over' them via an extra spatial dimension? With many examples from literature where authors use this technique, consider two of the best IMO written by mathematicians:

"Flatland: A World of Many Dimensions" by British schoolteacher Edwin Abbott Abbott, who takes us willy-nilly through multiple dimensions from point to line to square to sphere/cube. Intended as humorous satire of his Victorian culture, "Flatland" endures as a classic dimension-hopping original novel.

"Spaceland" by American university professor and SF author Rudy Rucker. Disillusioned software jock, Joe Cube, learns to navigate higher dimensions from Momo, a well endowed visitor from the fourth dimension. Momo augments Joe to be able to 'walk through' or step over any 3-D obstacle. Naturally, our tech-savvy heroes attempt to monetize this new knowledge by creating an internet startup and also a competitive cell phone company.

Joe Cube robs the Wells Fargo bank in Los Perros, California, by slithering 'over' the vault and reaching 'vin' to safe deposit boxes.

In the tradition of Abbott in "Flatland", Rudy Rucker satirizes life in Silicon Valley, California. Each character and place name becomes a joke. Fictional Los Perros, Spanish for 'the dogs', represents the actual city of Los Gatos, 'the cats', in Northern California where Rucker lived while teaching at San Jose State University. I once rented a safe deposit box from Wells Fargo as part of the bank's investment package. I imagine Rucker used the same convenient bank.

Last edited:
Likes BillTre
Cobul said:
Please enumerate all kinds of sci-fi flicks or fictional literature/comics/books where walking through walls or making objects pass through each other is mentioned, and what wacky principles do they base it on?
giphy.gif

Sorry o0) But seems like this method was not mentioned so far?

• Haha
Likes hutchphd, BillTre and Klystron
I liked Ellen Page as Kitty Pryde whom the above was chasing (I forgot his name). What other flicks have the heroes walking or running through walls without scratching them?

Last week I watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Out of the Shadow because I heard it involved portals. I almost forgot about the story when I watched it many years ago. It's very good. And because I was intrigued with Megan Fox. So I watched all Transformers movies every night. I'll watch "Transformers: the Last Knight" tonight. In the third installment Transformers: Dark of the Moon. I was surprised it involved Portals where they used hundreds of pillars to open spacetime portal to make Cybertron part of Earth. So you have Avengers II, Mutant Ninja Out of Shadows, Transformers Dark of the Moon where portals in the sky were displayed. Do yo remember other flicks like this?.

Back to the real world. We have another mythos. Just like Greys trademark was walking or floating through walls, the so called Reptilians equally reported by all kinds of people could allegedly open up portals.

reptoid portal.jpg

This was repoted by a family appearing in their bedroom. Of course we must treat everything as hallucinations since in our world, General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics control us.

But then I have a question. Is it not General Relatiivity is just a model. If there were really portals that could be opened. Couldn't we say there is just something extra or natural portals made of really exotic matter in the world that could be opened? It's agnostic whether it is portals between parallel dimensions or between distant points. But is it not the world takes precedent over a model? General Relativity is just a map and not the territory. So if there is more things going on in the territory, is it not the map should be the one to change or discarded? Hence we mustn't be limited by General Relativity?

Again to focus (pun unintended) on natural portals and pathways. Why does General Relativity forbid this and can't they be made out of concept outside General Relativity?

I want to be familiar with GR and portals because I think this is more convenient as tool to walk through walls and at same time opening portals between parallel world, etc.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
This topic I do think makes for good science fiction that could become a reality. In the early 70's it would have been very hard to predict that by 2020 many of us would have cell phones with video and computer capabilities, where somehow they are able to manufacture these with gigabytes of memory and crank them out like hotcakes. How they do it is beyond me. In contrast, walking through walls doesn't appear like it should be anywhere as difficult.

Without any new physics, how would 3 million A.D. folks able to walk through walls? You still have electromagnetism in the atoms and Pauli Exclusion Principle.
By the way, the figure in last message has this description.

interdimensional portal.JPG

What is other words for interdimensional portal? It's not wormhole between points in space but between two parallel worlds? What does "interdimensional portal" mean in science fiction? Is it the same portal being opened in the sky in Avengers II, Transformers: Dark of the Moon, and Ninja Turtle Out of the Shadows? Blockbuster movies seem to click with portals themes. In Jumper where the heroes can jump between points in spacetime on earth. Is it also called "interdimensional portal"? If not, what is the more appropriate term?

1) There is the classic Flash/Superman way:- Vibrate your atoms so that you can slip between the atoms of the wall.

2) The Zen/Matrix way:- There is no spoon, er wall except in your mind. overcome your mind and you overcome the wall.

3) Psionics:- You imagine yourself in another place (helps if you've seen t before) and you are there.

4) Technomagic:- A technology sufficiently advanced enough to pass for magic. (see Psionics)

5) Biological:- You have "an enchanted gall bladder" that allows you to move through solid objects. (see Psionics)

6) Maguffin:- If you, or, or... they knew what was in THIS BOX... (see Technomagic)

7) Amnesia:- I used to know but they put electrodes on my head and now... Who am I? (see Psionics)

8) Disintegrator/Replicator:- Disintegrate a suitable portal in the wall and then replicate it once you are on the other side. (See Technomagic)

9) Coke Recipe:- Only a select few are cleared for that information or it's proprietary tech, everybody knows that and just having that knowledge would be a crime. (see Maguffin)

10) Assimilation/Separation:- (I got this from Flash Gordon on Mars with Buster Crabbe) The clay men of Mars can become one with the clay walls of their tunnels and travel through the medium to differentiate themselves somewhere else (like around Dale and Zarkov). (see Biological)

Last edited:
I'd steer clear of the sci-fi favourite of being "shifted out of phase" with regular matter which conveniently disregards the floor. If you could get out of phase surely you would just sink to the center of the Earth and remain trapped there forever.

• Wow
Likes BillTre
There is another way.

It is plausible the constants of nature can't be derived by any ultimate framework.
It is more plausible the contants of nature were chosen by magic.

So what constants must you change such that the walls would have no solidity? If you decouple the Higgs field, the electrons would have no mass, and the atoms should theoretically travel at speed of light? So what you could do is perhaps apply a gauge reassignment or an SU(2) gauge loop so the particles can't escape the internal isospin. I know this is world salad. Lol.

If you cancel the EM field, the walls would expend or become cloud like, so there must be something to maintain coherence of the molecules. So what combinations of the alternations of any constants of nature just enough to make you walk through the wall or pass objects through the wall?

Here is a more trackable question. If the EM field in the electron and protons were temporarily canceled in matter, would the molecules or object explode? Perhaps from some packing pressure when they were so close together? Also remember it turns in cold plasma.

I remember Ender's Game in which their main weapon are Molecular Disruption Device.

molecular disruptors.JPG

molecular disruptor device.JPG

Could it simply cancel the EM field in objects, would this make the object explode from kind of vacuum implosion and explosion?

Cobul said:
Here is a more trackable question. If the EM field in the electron and protons were temporarily canceled in matter, would the molecules or object explode? Perhaps from some packing pressure when they were so close together? Also remember it turns in cold plasma.

I remember Ender's Game in which their main weapon are Molecular Disruption Device.

View attachment 277177

View attachment 277178

Could it simply cancel the EM field in objects, would this make the object explode from kind of vacuum implosion and explosion?
Would orbiting electrons suddenly go in a straight line along their last vector? I don't know how much of a boom that would create because they don't have much mass and the force would be evenly spread in all directions (or as close as a random universe could make it) but with a velocity close to the speed of light (?).

Klystron said:
Much philosophical science fiction, borrowing from 19th C. Spiritualism, regards walking through walls as a mental exercise not requiring a physics explanation. The hero stares at the wall and thinks themselves through to the other side. Sometimes a hole or portal penetrates the wall. Other times the hero makes themselves 'wispy' and passes through a solid wall.

Apportation refers to the fantasy of mentally moving an object by dematerializing it at one location and rematerializing it at a distance. The occultist or psychic uses the same fictional ability to apport themselves; through a wall and/or over great distances. Author Edgar Burroughs used apportation to move his characters from Earth to Barsoom and back again.

Belief remains very important in Spiritualism and the occult; affecting story lines in several ways. The practitioner beliefs the wall is not an impediment, or believes the wall does not exist, or thinks themselves as belonging on both sides of the wall where the other side of the wall gradually becomes reality. Actual science does not require faith or belief in favor of observation, measurement and comparison.

The SF comedy flick "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension" warns of the dangers of apporting or penetrating solid objects. This movie also demonstrates useful writing techniques such as every character knowing and admiring Buckaroo, the idea that many Buckaroo Banzai movies exist including prequels and sequels, and providing Buckaroo Banzai with a loyal dedicated team of heroes.

There were days prior to Einstein when people actually believed that matter was derived from more primary ontology. But after Einstein, matter became just math and to think otherwise is blasphemy. (for example, vanheez71 position is not uncommon and he is one of the most powerful of them all)

You mentioned about the occult so I searched what it has to say about walking through walls. And I found the following passages. Do you know why occultists only mention pre-Einsteins worldviews? What occultists use relativistic concepts?

"The phenomenon of disintegration also may be brought about by the action of extremely rapid vibrations, which overcome the cohesion of the molecules of the object operated upon. A still higher rate of vibrations of somewhat different type will separate these molecules into their constituent atoms. A body reduced by these means to the etheric condition can be moved by an astral current from one place to another with very great rapidity; and the moment the force which has been exerted to put it into that condition is withdraw it will be forced by the etheric pressure to resume its original form. It is in this way that objects are sometimes brought almost instantaneously from great distances at spiritualistic seances, and it is obvious that when disintegrated they could be passed with perfect ease through any solid substance, such, for example, as the wall of a house or the side of a locked box, so that what is commonly called "the passage of matter though matter" is seen, when properly understood, to be as simple as the passage of water through a sieve, or of a gas through a liquid in some chemical experiment." (The Astral Plane)

Creative Sci-Fi Team. Using post-Einstein and without using any concept of Ether. Please give me modern equivalent of "Etheric Pressure" and alike which can do the above trick in a sci-fi way making things pass or walk through walls.

Cobul said:
There were days prior to Einstein when people actually believed that matter was derived from more primary ontology. But after Einstein, matter became just math and to think otherwise is blasphemy. (for example, vanheez71 position is not uncommon and he is one of the most powerful of them all)

You mentioned about the occult so I searched what it has to say about walking through walls. And I found the following passages. Do you know why occultists only mention pre-Einsteins worldviews? What occultists use relativistic concepts?

"The phenomenon of disintegration also may be brought about by the action of extremely rapid vibrations, which overcome the cohesion of the molecules of the object operated upon. A still higher rate of vibrations of somewhat different type will separate these molecules into their constituent atoms. A body reduced by these means to the etheric condition can be moved by an astral current from one place to another with very great rapidity; and the moment the force which has been exerted to put it into that condition is withdraw it will be forced by the etheric pressure to resume its original form. It is in this way that objects are sometimes brought almost instantaneously from great distances at spiritualistic seances, and it is obvious that when disintegrated they could be passed with perfect ease through any solid substance, such, for example, as the wall of a house or the side of a locked box, so that what is commonly called "the passage of matter though matter" is seen, when properly understood, to be as simple as the passage of water through a sieve, or of a gas through a liquid in some chemical experiment." (The Astral Plane)

Creative Sci-Fi Team. Using post-Einstein and without using any concept of Ether. Please give me modern equivalent of "Etheric Pressure" and alike which can do the above trick in a sci-fi way making things pass or walk through walls.

Before doing away with the aether above. Need to know something.

Before Einstein, what was their concept of Etheric Pressure?

We know Aether was supposedly the medium of light (which the Michelson Morley experiment falsified)..

But did they have concept too of Aether behind matter?

Note the "atoms" of the occultists were not the protons/neutrons but something that gave birth to matter. So passing or walking through walls is (in their view) temporarily reverting matter to the more fundamental etheric constituents.

So you're saying it's not strictly an aether/or proposition.

cybernetichero said:
So you're saying it's not strictly an aether/or proposition.

What? No.

Dark people can walk through walls. I just read:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41550-018-0598-6

Is dark matter self-interacting?

Contrary to usual assumptions, new astronomical observations suggest that dark matter may be self-interacting. If true this would rule out most popular dark matter particle candidates, including supersymmetric neutralinos, axions and sterile neutrinos, as well as black holes.

Klystron said:
As @Algr points out, why walk through walls when one can skirt 'around' or 'over' them via an extra spatial dimension? With many examples from literature where authors use this technique, consider two of the best IMO written by mathematicians:

"Flatland: A World of Many Dimensions" by British schoolteacher Edwin Abbott Abbott, who takes us willy-nilly through multiple dimensions from point to line to square to sphere/cube. Intended as humorous satire of his Victorian culture, "Flatland" endures as a classic dimension-hopping original novel.

"Spaceland" by American university professor and SF author Rudy Rucker. Disillusioned software jock, Joe Cube, learns to navigate higher dimensions from Momo, a well endowed visitor from the fourth dimension. Momo augments Joe to be able to 'walk through' or step over any 3-D obstacle. Naturally, our tech-savvy heroes attempt to monetize this new knowledge by creating an internet startup and also a competitive cell phone company.

Joe Cube robs the Wells Fargo bank in Los Perros, California, by slithering 'over' the vault and reaching 'vin' to safe deposit boxes.

In the tradition of Abbott in "Flatland", Rudy Rucker satirizes life in Silicon Valley, California. Each character and place name becomes a joke. Fictional Los Perros, Spanish for 'the dogs', represents the actual city of Los Gatos, 'the cats', in Northern California where Rucker lived while teaching at San Jose State University. I once rented a safe deposit box from Wells Fargo as part of the bank's investment package. I imagine Rucker used the same convenient bank.

Here is a plus for using extra dimension to pass through wall like described above. But, is this talking about a large fifth dimension of infinite extend or just micron size?

https://scitechdaily.com/searching-..._j51tfapMWU-7yJYWEmCLEyoGgSH0yaDNYJm-HmfLDjKU

Searching for Dark Matter Through the Fifth Dimension – New Theoretical Physics Discovery to Help Unravel the Mysteries of Dark Matter

I saw this at:
1612347932261.png

I started this thread because they didn't even answer my original basic questions at https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/electromagnetism-and-the-pauli-exclusion-principle.998810/

I asked there:

"Electromagnetism in the atoms is why we can't pass through a bank vault. But supposed electromagnetism were canceled for an object, what would happen to the residual or remaining Pauli Exclusion principle? Would it still cause resistance to passing through the vault?

On a second scenario, what would happen if the Pauli exclusion principle were canceled but electromagnetism remains, how would the atoms behave?"

They won't answer because they said it was science fiction. So kindly answer them in this thread as I still don't know what to write in an initial basic way.

I tried to seek answers and I saw this video (at 1:30 time mark).

"Pauli exclusion principle, no two electrons can be in the same state or configuration. On a basic level, this is why you can't walk through wall. So you can't pass through an object. But did you know you can't actually touch them either."

So let say electromagnetism was canceled and you "magically" command the wave function to just hold the electrons in place (again for sake of discussions). Would the residual Paul Exclusion Principle prevent you from passing solid objects each other? Imagine as the atoms and electrons of the two objects tried to mix. The electrons want to join in one space but Pauli EP prevent that. Is that right? It may be obvious to you but it is not to me so kindly let me know what is the case. Thanks.

Isaac Asimov once complained that fantasy and science fiction genres preclude writing honest 'who dunnits?, with logical clues leading to solving a crime, since the author can introduce any odd fiction to 'prove who done it'. Then he wrote SF murder mystery "I, Robot" somewhat mitigating his stance.

Asimov's complaint applies even more to profoundly altering basic physics then expecting logical responses from scientists and engineers. Instead of asking what if electromagnetism was cancelled, consider altering a measured quantity such as α, the fine structure constant, by a reasonable amount then figuring out the ramifications in the physical world. Though still speculation, at least the question remains grounded in science.

Likes hutchphd