Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Walking up stairs

1. Mar 30, 2005 #1
    I can walk up the 34 stairs to the top in 20 steps never jumping/missing a stair and not double stepping. How is that possible?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2005 #2
    Stairs of an escalator.

4. Mar 30, 2005 #3
    correct, easy i know. I thought of that while i was on my way to work this morning on one. Think we can re-arrange the question so it may not be so obvious but still gives the reader all the logical info they need?

5. Mar 30, 2005 #4

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You started on the 14th step ;)

6. Mar 30, 2005 #5
    Awsome alkatran! Could reword the question like so:

I can walk up the 34 stairs to the top in 20 steps when done counting. never jumping/missing a stair and not double stepping and not on an escalator. How is that possible?

or something like that. Maybe dont need to say when done counting? Never been good a thinking up new problems like that.

7. Mar 30, 2005 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Bob is walking downtown, and finds himself standing at the bottom of 34 steps. He begins climbing the steps. At after twenty steps, he reaches the top. He has not skipped any steps.

Nah, too obvious.

8. Mar 30, 2005 #7

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could also try walking the other way around: Walking 34 steps on a 20 step staircase. (going against the escalator). May be less obvious.

9. Apr 2, 2005 #8
    i would never reccomend that. actually the last part when you are close to the end the real tough part, and i once just managed to escape unhurt, otherwise i would have had it for good.

so, if you wanna have fun with an escalator just go in the same direction as the escalator.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?