Wall on the mexico/united states border

In summary: Hello,In summary, you say that a wall should not be built because there are legal ways to enter the country and it would create a bad image for America.
Astronuc said:
Well if the build it out of stone, with towers and ramparts, and crenelations and merlons (rather than iron and barbed wire), and give it a fancy name like the Great Mexican-American Friendship Wall, then it just might become a tourist attraction. :rolleyes:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

LOL..

Physics news on Phys.org
2.2 billion for one third of the wall? That is a lot cheaper than I thought. Even if it is double that, that is not very expensive for the scale of the thing.

Anttech said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

LOL..
Glad you liked it! :biggrin:

I was thinking that there could be places for murals - like for example with the Berlin wall.

Well, I think the proper solution is economic development in Mexico and Central America, and an end to corruption in the various governments and society in general. And no, that's not likely to happen any time soon, if ever.

How does a society overcome centuries of structural inequities and racism?

Some examples of what the wall looks like, along with some background and issues -
San Diego Fence Provides Lessons in Border Control
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5323928

Would we really walling others out? Or walling ourselfs in?

I think ur government can contract the Chinese for this wall.I think they get get it done for a lot cheaper than 2.2 bilion. They been doing it the wall thing for centuries.

kaos said:
I think ur government can contract the Chinese for this wall.I think they get get it done for a lot cheaper than 2.2 bilion. They been doing it the wall thing for centuries.

Of course this wall served a different purpose. It was made to keep out hostile invaders and not needy peasants and laborers

Kb1jij said:
Of course this wall served a different purpose. It was made to keep out hostile invaders and not needy peasants and laborers

I see no difference. The wall we would build would also keep hostile invaders (terrorists) out.

Why would a terrorist need a wall to keep them out when they can already get in with student visas in the comfort of an airplane? How many terrorists have come through the mexican boarder?

cyrusabdollahi said:
How many terrorists have come through the mexican boarder?

I don't think that is something that we can know, because we don't know how many terrorists are currently here plotting their next attack.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Why would a terrorist need a wall to keep them out when they can already get in with student visas in the comfort of an airplane?

What if they had a nuclear or radiological weapon? How would they bring that in on the comfort of a plane? And I know that it is likely that they would bring it in through the shipping ports, but I would have to think they would have a better chance of them getting it in through the border.

Nothing000 said:
What if they had a nuclear or radiological weapon? How would they bring that in on the comfort of a plane? And I know that it is likely that they would bring it in through the shipping ports, but I would have to think they would have a better chance of them getting it in through the border.

Will they carry a nuclear or any heavy weapon, hundreds of kms in order to detonate it in US? :biggrin: Wouldn't that be a little too heavy? I think if they are to attack US (again?) this time they would send some kind of ballistic rocket. But, maybe first we should think, why do they want to do this?

[...]f US gov is to be selfish and greedy for money...
Selfish and greedy? The US government isint a soup kitchen.

Sorry, I put it in the wrong words. I was trying to say that, US loses much more money on Iraq and suddenly they pretend to lose so much by Mexican Immigration.

What? Don't impose your religion on me. Go read your bible, you've been thinking for yourself far too much tonight...

Again sorry I you thought that way, but I didn't want to impose religion on you. I rather meant that US government imposes religion on people but acts against it. I'm not the follower of any religion but want to defend ideas.

I read a few articles in NYTImes on Mexican border and hispanic population and I partially changed my views and ideas on this. There must be something done about this problem, but I think wall is far too much as it is like separation from the rest of the world. Minefield would be cheaper than wall but again over all of these, why US?

heartless said:
I think if they are to attack US (again?) this time they would send some kind of ballistic rocket. But, maybe first we should think, why do they want to do this?

What do you mean by "(again?)"? Are questioning whether they were responsible for the attack on the very city you live in on Sept. 11, 2001?

And I don't think they would be able to hit us with ballistic missiles. Wouldn't NORAD pick them up on radar, and stop them? I think they prefer attacks that are much more discrete. Besides, they would most likely have to talk some middle eastern country into launching them, because I doubt they have that kind of arsenel. And if a country hit us, then it would just be like an "old fashioned attack" in the sense that we would have a clear enemy to fight.

Last edited:
yomamma said:
You're missing the point-- they can't register legally...they have to eat and have some place to stay, and they're making no money where they're at, so they cross the border. It costs time and money to register.

Maybe they should all get together and make it so that their country is actually worth something...

moose said:
Maybe they should all get together and make it so that their country is actually worth something...
Oh... You mean how all of the people in America got together and threw Bush out of office?:rolleyes:

Sometimes such things are a hell of a lot harder than you may think.