1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wall Sonar

  1. Jan 28, 2008 #1
    I was wondering if it was possible to construct a certain device. There would be a speaker on one side of a wall generating a certain frequency, and on the other side a receiver that would give an image of what was in the wall, such as cabling, studs, etc. I'm sure the technology exists, but I would like to build something relatively inexpensive. I don't need a whole lot of resolution. Just enough to tell what's there.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2008 #2


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    They have such devices. It looks into the ground using radar. I saw it on CSI, it's got to be true.
  4. Jan 28, 2008 #3
    Actually, it won't be in the ground, as I have access to both sides of the wall. Just something to measure the sound intensity as it comes through in different points, and give that an image of sorts. I know it exists, but I'm not sure what it's called, or how to build it.

  5. Jan 28, 2008 #4


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    There is something they use with locating underground utilities that uses the same basic application. However, it doesn't provide a picture of the wall. Essentially you place an exciter source at a distance away from you. You then use a device that is very similar to a metal detector and probe the area. I can't say if it would work with walls, but it may be something to look at.
  6. Jan 28, 2008 #5


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    It seems to me that this is a variation of a medical sonograph; it just relies upon transmission, rather than reflection, of the beam.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Discussions: Wall Sonar
  1. Wall Insulator (Replies: 10)

  2. Buildup on duct walls (Replies: 2)