Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wall Sonar

1. Jan 28, 2008 #1
    I was wondering if it was possible to construct a certain device. There would be a speaker on one side of a wall generating a certain frequency, and on the other side a receiver that would give an image of what was in the wall, such as cabling, studs, etc. I'm sure the technology exists, but I would like to build something relatively inexpensive. I don't need a whole lot of resolution. Just enough to tell what's there.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2008 #2

Gold Member

They have such devices. It looks into the ground using radar. I saw it on CSI, it's got to be true.
  4. Jan 28, 2008 #3
    Actually, it won't be in the ground, as I have access to both sides of the wall. Just something to measure the sound intensity as it comes through in different points, and give that an image of sorts. I know it exists, but I'm not sure what it's called, or how to build it.

5. Jan 28, 2008 #4

Science Advisor

There is something they use with locating underground utilities that uses the same basic application. However, it doesn't provide a picture of the wall. Essentially you place an exciter source at a distance away from you. You then use a device that is very similar to a metal detector and probe the area. I can't say if it would work with walls, but it may be something to look at.
  6. Jan 28, 2008 #5

Gold Member

It seems to me that this is a variation of a medical sonograph; it just relies upon transmission, rather than reflection, of the beam.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?